Forum

Full Version: hyperion flickering on xbian but not raspbmc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can you post your experiences here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/653

Especially the kernel versions are crucial.
*deleted*
i have same problem. My led strip random flickering. I don't install old kernel because her not find in current xbian repo. must other way without replace kernel?

XBain 1.0 RC3
Linux pixbian 3.15.8+ #4 Wed Sep 24 14:30:32 CEST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux
hyperion + ws2801 led strip
P.S. sorry for my english
It has been confirmed to be an issue in the GPIO implementation of the software. The only solution is to use an old kernel or suggest Hyperion to fix their GPIO implementation. My wiringX has the fix for a long time so we know it works. You can suggest Hyperion to use wiringX so they can have cross-platform support for the Raspberry Pi, Hummingboard, BananaPi and Radxa.
(12th Dec, 2014 07:15 PM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]It has been confirmed to be an issue in the GPIO implementation of the software. The only solution is to use an old kernel or suggest Hyperion to fix their GPIO implementation. My wiringX has the fix for a long time so we know it works. You can suggest Hyperion to use wiringX so they can have cross-platform support for the Raspberry Pi, Hummingboard, BananaPi and Radxa.

Give me kernel 3.12.20 for xbian pls. In current repo her not found only 3.15.8+
ok. how i can suggest hyperion with you lib? I install it. What next step?
We can't be responsible for bad plugin development. The real issue lies @Hyperion, so you should contact them.

Be glad that we @XBian and @pilight spend all this time actually debugging this issue and now know were the issue lies:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/653
Hi

I have the RPi2 and of course that gives me the flickering error, I previously used RPi B with an old xbian RC2 version installed. Then all worked as you have documented here. But since the newer kernel I have the flickering behaviour.

I mainly write here to say that I too have written to hyperion to try and make them aware of the problem, though I don't really understand what it is. I have seen a couple of people using openelec on RPi2 running hyperion with success so I assume that they might be on another kernel. If someone have new info or fix please write it here, will do the same if I find something.

M
(23rd Feb, 2015 06:20 AM)mansp Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

I have the RPi 2 and of course that gives me the flickering error, I previously used RPi B with an old xbian RC2 version installed. Then all worked as you have documented here. But since the newer kernel I have the flickering behaviour.

I mainly write here to say that I too have written to hyperion to try and make them aware of the problem, though I don't really understand what it is. I have seen a couple of people using openelec on RPi2 running hyperion with success so I assume that they might be on another kernel. If someone have new info or fix please write it here, will do the same if I find something.

M

I am using a RPi B 2 with the WS2801 led strip on latest Xbian (stable fully updated) with no problems. I have no issues with the flickering bug. I used the setup guide from the Hyperion wiki (only SPI is not backlisted anymore in Xbian, so you can skip this step).
(24th Feb, 2015 06:27 AM)Davem Wrote: [ -> ]
(23rd Feb, 2015 06:20 AM)mansp Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

I have the RPi 2 and of course that gives me the flickering error, I previously used RPi B with an old xbian RC2 version installed. Then all worked as you have documented here. But since the newer kernel I have the flickering behaviour.

M

I am using a RPi B 2 with the WS2801 led strip on latest Xbian (stable fully updated) with no problems. I have no issues with the flickering bug. I used the setup guide from the Hyperion wiki (only SPI is not backlisted anymore in Xbian, so you can skip this step).

This was very interesting =). Do you use some kind of level-shifter to reach 5 V for the spi? And could you please show me your config file? I have tried a lot of different settings and had kind of settled with the thought that it might be the gpio handling that CurlyMo talked about. I also saw that the blacklisting was gone, however I do get the leds to show the colours according to the frame but with the flickering.
(24th Feb, 2015 08:07 AM)mansp Wrote: [ -> ]This was very interesting =). Do you use some kind of level-shifter to reach 5 V for the spi? And could you please show me your config file? I have tried a lot of different settings and had kind of settled with the thought that it might be the gpio handling that CurlyMo talked about. I also saw that the blacklisting was gone, however I do get the leds to show the colours according to the frame but with the flickering.

I am just using the WS2801 connected directly to the GPIO pins (Data, Clock an GND) and to a separated USB power supply (5V, 2A). Nothing special and no frame grabber.

My rpi 2 is getting its supply from a 5V, 1A PSU. I have just tested it again and I notice no strange behavior during playback from my attached USB hard disk.

Do you also have the flickering when using the android app and controlling your lights?

My Hyperion config. http://pastebin.com/ykKTyT8a
(26th Feb, 2015 06:01 AM)Davem Wrote: [ -> ]
(24th Feb, 2015 08:07 AM)mansp Wrote: [ -> ]This was very interesting =). Do you use some kind of level-shifter to reach 5 V for the spi? And could you please show me your config file? I have tried a lot of different settings and had kind of settled with the thought that it might be the gpio handling that CurlyMo talked about. I also saw that the blacklisting was gone, however I do get the leds to show the colours according to the frame but with the flickering.

I am just using the WS2801 connected directly to the GPIO pins (Data, Clock an GND) and to a separated USB power supply (5V, 2A). Nothing special and no frame grabber.

My rpi 2 is getting its supply from a 5V, 1A PSU. I have just tested it again and I notice no strange behavior during playback from my attached USB hard disk.

Do you also have the flickering when using the android app and controlling your lights?

My Hyperion config. http://pastebin.com/ykKTyT8a

That is the same setup that I have, also the ws2801 directly connected to the GPIO, with a separate PSU 5V 3A where ground is connected to the ground on the PI2. The only difference for me is that I have 64 leds where you had 49, I even tried your exact config where the last leds would be black but I stil got the flickering.
The Pi is driven from another supply with 5V 2A. And I get the flickering when the leds are changing colour or are updated. I.e. when I use the android app to set a specific colour there is no flickering, but if I use an effect there will be. The more the screen is changing the more flickering I get.

The hardware solution is exactly the same as I had on my previous RPi B and there I had no issue with this. And since setting a colour works it would seem that the hardware is solid.
Strange that it works for you since CurlyMo and popcornmix found some issue with the GPIO handling =/. Have you installed some other hardware or program that might affect this?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's