Forum

Full Version: Dell MCE Remote Troubles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

I have a Dell MCE Remote that is having some trouble working. It doesn't work at all on the XBMC interface, so I tried configuring it according to the tutorial in the wiki.

Using the mceusb lircd.conf didn't change it, so I tried using irrecord, and that still didn't work. No output is displayed in irw. From dmesg and lsusb, I know the receiver is recognized.

This is the product I have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Dell-Microsoft-MCE-Media-Center-Remote-Control-Kit-/150548490382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230d63a88e
I don't know a whole lot more about it. Lsusb shows a Philips eHome receiver, 0471:0815, which I know should work, because I've seen that ID in tutorials on how to setup LIRC before.

I wish I wasn't having such a hard time getting this remote to work. It has always worked fine in Windows, and used to work fine on an Ubuntu installation many years back. I think when the kernel changes and LIRC changes happened is when it stopped working in virtually all linux distros. I've followed basically every tutorial I can find, and nothing is working.

Thanks for your help.
Can you post the output of lsusb, dmesg and 'cat /proc/bus/input/devices'.

Did 'mode2' show any output when pressing buttons?
Oh yes, I should have mentioned that. Following the tutorial, I completed steps 1-3 with Step 2 failing every time.

mode2 did show output from all of my remotes (I mean like my TV remote, BluRay remote, etc. Not remotes I want to use with Xbian, but it just shows that the IR receiver is working).

lsusb:
Code:
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0471:0815 Philips (or NXP) eHome Infrared Receiver

dmesg:
http://pastebin.com/erf4vqRx

cat /proc/bus/input/devices:
http://pastebin.com/kB9QJ8yF
So 'mode2' also shows output with the Dell Remote?
Yes. It works with any IR remote.
please can you use pastebin next time instead of posting raw out of 1000's lines here ? Wink
not pleasant to scroll down through all the lines (especially on touch devices Smile )
-thx-
(13th Jan, 2013 12:26 AM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]please can you use pastebin next time instead of posting raw out of 1000's lines here ? Wink
not pleasant to scroll down through all the lines (especially on touch devices Smile )
-thx-

Yeah, sorry. I didn't really think of that until I opened it up on my own mobile. Blush
If step 2 of my tutorial fails, just go to step 3 Smile
not a problem,it was just advise 3:-)
(13th Jan, 2013 12:52 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]If step 2 of my tutorial fails, just go to step 3 Smile

Well, that's what I did. I couldn't find a lircd.conf file on sourceforge that worked. Which is weird, because it's a fairly standard MCE remote, from what I understand. Anyway, I did step 3b and created my own config file, but the end of 3b says to retry step 2 (the irw step).

irw still did not working after following all the steps of 3.
Did you put your new lircd.conf as 'custom.conf' in /etc/lirc/remotes/
and added this line to '/etc/lirc/lircd.conf:
Code:
include "/etc/lirc/remotes/devinput.conf"
include "/etc/lirc/remotes/xbox.conf"
include "/etc/lirc/remotes/smt1000t.conf"
include "/etc/lirc/remotes/srm7500.conf"
include "/etc/lirc/remotes/custom.conf"
(13th Jan, 2013 01:15 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]Did you put your new lircd.conf as 'custom.conf' in /etc/lirc/remotes/

Well, originally, I just prepended the new config at the end of /etc/lirc/lircd.conf per the tutorial. But, I just followed the instructions you gave me, by putting an include statement and putting the file in the remotes folder, but irw still did not produce output.
Can you post you lircd.conf you created with irrecord?
Created with irrecord:
http://pastebin.com/Qvqcb19z
Can you try putting this mceusb.conf in /etc/lirc/remotes/, also add the path to the new mceusb.conf to /etc/lirc/lircd.conf

Code:
include "/etc/lirc/remotes/devinput.conf"
include "/etc/lirc/remotes/xbox.conf"
include "/etc/lirc/remotes/smt1000t.conf"
include "/etc/lirc/remotes/srm7500.conf"
include "/etc/lirc/remotes/mceusb.conf"
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's