Forum

Full Version: Black screen and no ssh after prolonged inactivity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have two distinct problems which may or may not be related. I have installed the latest Xbian on my RPi, which I want to be able to leave on at all times.

First problem: When the screensaver (dim) activates, moving the mouse or clicking the keyboard causes the screen to go black and stay that way. Neither is able to wake it up and the only solution is to ssh into it and restart the XBMC service.

Second problem: After an even longer period of activity (not sure by how much, but definitely longer), the RPi is unable to be accessed through ssh either. The light on the WiFi adapter flashes as though showing activity, but attempting to ssh inevitably results in a network timeout. The only remedy to this is to forcibly unplug the pi and plug it back, obviously not the most elegant solution.

What can I do fix this issues?
Which version, which pi, what power supply...
(29th Sep, 2014 07:40 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]Which version, which pi, what power supply...

XBian v1.0B2

RPi Model B Revision 2.0, 512 MB RAM 000d

Power supply is a generic USB to micro USB cable rated at 22AWG 300V plugged in to the 2A port on an Antec quad port USB charging station (it is the only thing plugged in to the Antec).
Have you tried updating the Pi? Everything else seems to be in order.
(1st Oct, 2014 04:41 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried updating the Pi? Everything else seems to be in order.

(After running apt-get update)
Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade -y > out.txt

Try:

Terminal

sudo apt-get install xbian-package-config-shell xbian-package-config-xbmc xbian-package-firmware
xbian-package-initramfs-tools xbian-package-kernel
xbian-package-upstart-xbmc-bridge xbian-package-usbmount xbian-package-xbmc
xbian-package-xbmc-scripts xbian-update
(2nd Oct, 2014 05:21 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]Try:

Terminal

sudo apt-get install xbian-package-config-shell xbian-package-config-xbmc xbian-package-firmware
xbian-package-initramfs-tools xbian-package-kernel
xbian-package-upstart-xbmc-bridge xbian-package-usbmount xbian-package-xbmc
xbian-package-xbmc-scripts xbian-update

I need @CurlyMo or @mk01 to chime in and let us know if it is okay to force the install. Or if you're feeling lucky go for it.
When creating a backup first it not that dangerous.
How would I produce a backup and force the installation?
@GDIT

Wink

look better at your apt-get output.
Code:
Create a snapshot of '/tmp/btrfs-snap/root/@btrfs-auto-snap_apt-run-2014-10-02-1543' in '/tmp/btrfs-snap/root/@last_good_known'

it is created automatically before each apt-get operation.
if you mess things up, just do right after
Code:
btrfs-auto-snapshot rollback root@last_good_known
reboot

and you are fine in 1minute (including reboot).

to your apt-get problem, shairport lib replaced libshairplay. just add xbian-package-shairport to the list of packages to install.

if still the error, add option "-o APT::Force-LoopBreak=1" as apt-get is suggesting
Reference URL's