Forum

Full Version: [Solved] How to activate autocompletion in terminal on RC3?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,
I installed a fresh RC3 and it works nice.

But I realized that there is no autocompletion in the terminal anymore (I'm using ssh to log in.).
Is there a way to activate this? I'm using the terminal quite often and it's a bit annoying to type everything by hand.

Cheers
(6th Oct, 2014 07:29 PM)psyLord Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
I installed a fresh RC3 and it works nice.

But I realized that there is no autocompletion in the terminal anymore (I'm using ssh to log in.).
Is there a way to activate this? I'm using the terminal quite often and it's a bit annoying to type everything by hand.

Cheers

isn't this on the side of your SSH client?
No, i'don't believe client ssh has something to do with this,
i've got the same problem on Cubox with Xbian too since few times (maybe 1 month or a bit more).
not sure but it does work for me
latest RC3 build
Can you try
Terminal
sudo apt-get install bash-completion

It's possible it is no longer installed by default.
yes, it is because of this. I would say bash_completion dropped out of default package list by mistake ...

it has only 1m installed, so why not to re-add-it.
(7th Oct, 2014 03:11 AM)menakite Wrote: [ -> ]Can you try
Terminal
sudo apt-get install bash-completion

It's possible it is no longer installed by default.

Thanks a lot! That worked.
Marked solved. Thanks menakite.
By installing bash-completion, it work but not for apt (like before),
to enable auto-completion for apt, you should uncomment theses lines :

Code:
# enable bash completion in interactive shells
#if ! shopt -oq posix; then
#  if [ -f /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion ]; then
#    . /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion
#  elif [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
#    . /etc/bash_completion
#  fi
#fi

in /etc/bash.bashrc
@belese

sourcing /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion is done through /etc/profile.d script . for me works on wheezy and also jessie without sourcing it again from bash profile script.

(and /etc/profile.d/*.sh are sourced from /etc/profile without any conditions. so it must be run for sure)

can you maybe check what bash version you have? actually the bash-completion is run only if bash is >= 4.1
Code:
echo "$BASH_VERSION"
4.2.37(1)-release

i'm on raspebrry, maybe it need a reboot when bash-completion was installed, to re-run init script.
i don't think i've reboot between test, if you want i can comment again, and redo test after reboot.

and to be sure we're talking same, auto-completion for file, executable was working, just apt-get auto-completion didn't work (and maybe other interactive).
you need logout and login again.

the other things - yes, we mean the same.
please retest again as if it wouldn't work then it would have other implications too as we use there 3 own scripts. so your current setup would be worth checking - because I was sure until now those scripts are run always unconditionally.
yes it was working after commented lines again, need just a logout/login after install.
I saw this threat and auto-completion looks really interesting to me. Apt says it's already installed but I'm not noticing any auto-completion, is there something I have to activate or someting?
Auto-completion should just work OOTB. Just type something and hit [tab][tab]
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's