Forum

Full Version: Xbian USB install on Mac OSX
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I am a few months in using the Raspberry Pi and I so far have tried OpenElec and Raspbmc.
The above systems have been good as far as playback is concerned however I found that despite overclocking them, the menu loading (working) waits were quite long – sometimes taking 20 seconds to change to the next page.
This seems like a long time when I am trying to get to something 5 clicks in.
I am hoping that Xbian is faster in the menus?
I am not worried out boot times being slower just the menus and smooth playback.
My set up is –
RPI Model B
8gb SD card (class 10)
16gb USB 3.0 Sandisk Extreme stick
Raspberry Pi Power Supply, 5V, 1A
Can anyone tell me how I would go about installing using the USB stick on a Mac?
I am not too clever with coding etc so was hoping there was an install set up like in Raspbmc.
Thanks for reading!
Al
Xbian to the rescue.

Just ssh into your RPi and run xbian-config. (It should load automatically unless you have disabled it). From the menu choose USB install (Option 7 I think) and run it from there. ** Make sure you specify the correct device **

Then just edit /boot/cmdline.txt (Make a copy first - cp cmdline.txt cmdline.txt.bak) and change /dev/mmcblk01 (or something like that) to /dev/sda1 (or whatever your USB stick shows up as). Reboot and you will be running off of the USB stick.

However, I doubt you will see much improvement - if any - as you are already using a class 10 SD card.

Also note the RPi does not recognise USB 3 so will only use USB 2
(16th Oct, 2014 01:16 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Xbian to the rescue.

Just ssh into your RPi and run xbian-config. (It should load automatically unless you have disabled it). From the menu choose USB install (Option 7 I think) and run it from there. ** Make sure you specify the correct device **

Then just edit /boot/cmdline.txt (Make a copy first - cp cmdline.txt cmdline.txt.bak) and change /dev/mmcblk01 (or something like that) to /dev/sda1 (or whatever your USB stick shows up as). Reboot and you will be running off of the USB stick.

However, I doubt you will see much improvement - if any - as you are already using a class 10 SD card.

Also note the RPi does not recognise USB 3 so will only use USB 2

Awesome thanks!
I will try (try being the operative word) when I get home.
Do you think that the menus will run quicker than OE?
Reference URL's