Forum

Full Version: UPX for xmbc.bin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I recently stumble upon on this obscure gem called upx an executable compress/decompress packer and I've try to use it on xbian for xbmc. I know very little about it and I not so expert to make detailed benchmarks; at the moment I've seen a couple of things: the xbmc.bin compressed became half size compared to the original one and xbmc ui experience seems little bit better. Perhaps some folks here can make more specific tests.

To use upx is pretty simple, here the steps via ssh:
Stop xbmc
Code:
sudo service xbmc stop

Install upx
Code:
sudo apt-get install upx

Copy original xbmc.bin
Code:
sudo cp /usr/local/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin /usr/local/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin.noupx

UPX the xbmc (it takes a while)
Code:
sudo upx --best /usr/local/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin

Start xbmc
Code:
sudo service xbmc start

Here the compressed file:
Quote:10352012 Oct 31 08:01 xbmc.bin
24984684 Oct 30 20:57 xbmc.bin.noupx

It would be interesting if someone here can try it with more of my expertise

D
Thanks for the suggestion. I guess we'll investigate at some point, but
Quote:xbmc ui experience seems little bit better
I think this is a placebo: it would only affect load time, if it actually does.
(1st Nov, 2014 06:45 AM)menakite Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the suggestion. I guess we'll investigate at some point, but
Quote:xbmc ui experience seems little bit better
I think this is a placebo: it would only affect load time, it it actually does.

Do you believe that there are no benefit at all using upx in terms of performace? Sorry but I know so little about it... Waiting for your investigation :-)
There are no usability benefits to using upx whatsoever, sure it uses less space but uses CPU cycles to decompress at the same time.

Once launched xbmc (kodi) is memory resident, meaning it's loaded and no benefit can be had since it is already in memory.
(1st Nov, 2014 06:40 PM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]There are no usability benefits to using upx whatsoever, sure it uses less space but uses CPU cycles to decompress at the same time.

Once launched xbmc (kodi) is memory resident, meaning it's loaded and no benefit can be had since it is already in memory.

Ok thanks. switching back to noupx xbmc.bin :-)
Reference URL's