Forum

Full Version: Adding an I2S DAC for audiophile quality sound.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This guide no longer works with the newer Xbian and therefore has been removed.
nice one m8 Wink
this would be handy for many people, I'm pretty sure Wink
so keep updating your first post with HowTo Wink
and BTW, what about Hifiberry Digi? do you have any experience with that? That would be something which may interest me personally
This is the 'how to' that will be linked from the wiki which I hope to do later this week.

I am trying to make it as noob friendly as I can without writing a whole book! - No I don't have a 'digiberry' but would be happy to test it out if they send me one Wink Big Grin

Thanks for the feedback!

Skywatch
what do you think about this one here? http://goo.gl/NH5h2y
(4th Nov, 2014 06:28 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]what do you think about this one here? http://goo.gl/NH5h2y

That looks like the board sold in Europe by Audiophonics. It should do the job.

If it were me I would try this one as it uses the same Wolfson chip, it's bi-directional and it's cheaper! Smile .... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WM8804-S-PDIF-TOSLINK-to-IIS-Converter-I2S-Codec-Project-integration-DIY-/141039832924?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_M...20d6a10f5c

Also this one won't block access to the gpio pins on the main P1 connector of the pi.

I don't know how you would get this working with another DAC for pure music to the pi though. Something to look into I guess.

Skywatch.
(4th Nov, 2014 08:05 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]
(4th Nov, 2014 06:28 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]what do you think about this one here? http://goo.gl/NH5h2y

That looks like the board sold in Europe by Audiophonics. It should do the job.

If it were me I would try this one as it uses the same Wolfson chip, it's bi-directional and it's cheaper! Smile .... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WM8804-S-PDIF-TOSLINK-to-IIS-Converter-I2S-Codec-Project-integration-DIY-/141039832924?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_M...20d6a10f5c

Also this one won't block access to the gpio pins on the main P1 connector of the pi.

I don't know how you would get this working with another DAC for pure music to the pi though. Something to look into I guess.

Skywatch.
thx for the link Wink
as I understand it requires external PSU
Nice work Skywatch.
(4th Nov, 2014 09:56 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]thx for the link Wink
as I understand it requires external PSU

Yup - I guess it all depends on if you want a DIY or 'plug-n-play' solution.

That's the fun, there is something for everyone, a range of options, prices, specs and it's up to you what you want to do!

Skywatch.
@Skywatch

man, you finally made my day. not because of that howto (which is indeed perfect), but because you FINALY realised you are not depending on Asking questions and Waiting for answers, but you can do it faster yourself!

very good! Wink

btw:

can RPI be forced for SDTV output but still sending audio to hdmi ?
No
Hello, I have a Digione Allo, but Xbian doesn't recognized it at all!
Any help?

This is a part of my config.txt

# This parameter enables onboard sound via module snd_bcm2835.
# Module will be loaded automatically, an entry in
# /etc/modules[.xbian] has no effect and is not longer needed/
# necessary with kernel 4.4 and above.
# Please note, this setting should be commented out if a Hifiberry
# device is used.
# dtparam=audio=off

# ******************************************************************************
# * GPIO LIRC *
# * Please note: *
# * GPIO input pin has to be remapped for working together *
# * with Hifiberry sound cards *
# ******************************************************************************

#dtoverlay=lirc-rpi,debug
#dtoverlay=lirc-rpi,gpio_out_pin=17,gpio_in_pin=22,debug

# * Hifiberry and compatible sound cards (I2S interface) *
# * May conflict with LIRC. See note above *

#dtoverlay=hifiberry-amp
#dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac
#dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus
dtoverlay=allo-digione

My Digione Allo isn't present in the Audio soundcard choice!
Have you ever had it working on your pi?

What is the output of aplay -l ???

If you get nothing then try sudo apt-get install alsa-utils and try again aplay -l after a reboot.

You could try with standard hifiberry-dac in dt as most cards work with that.
I made one step forward...
this is what I get from play -l

xbian@xbian ~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndallodigione [snd_allo_digione], device 0: Allo DigiOne HiFi wm8804-spdif-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

the problem is in the list of audio devices I have only snd_digione_all analog and not SPDIF

I have success, instead, with libreElec so it should work even with Xbian...or not?
(19th Apr, 2018 04:46 AM)calabuig Wrote: [ -> ]I made one step forward...

That's good. What is the output of cat /etc/asound.conf ?

It just might work with hifiberry-digi in the boot config, have you tried that?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's