Forum

Full Version: (Solved) Setting a Static IP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am trying to set a static IP on eth0. I do not have DHCP enabled because the other Pi on my network does not like DHCP very much.

Anyways, I open XBian-config and set my static ip. I save it but then, surprise. It didn't work. It says an unexpected error happened. Everytime I tried to set a static IP it did this. Regardless if DHCP (I tried this before I discovered the other pi didn't like DHCP) was on in my router. I have reinstalled 3 or 4 times. It does not want to set a static IP.

I know here is no mistake in the configuration. IP is valid and not taken, netmask is right, gateway is right, DNS is right, everything. XBian just doesn't play nicely with me setting a static IP.

I don't know enough about xbmc to know if I could see the log within the program but log is not available because I can't access xbian remotely.
set via console xbian-config, or XBMC xbian-config ?
What version of XBain?
What about your router? --- What is that set to?

I have static IP since XBian Alpha3 and not had a problem.

What is running on the 'other pi' that 'doesn't like' DCHP?

Just trying to make you think more about the bigger picture, sometimes it can help!

Skywatch.
Hi, I'm new. I write here, cause I think to have the same problem.

Software
XBian version: XBian 1.0 Release Candidate 3, downloaded two days ago
Overclock settings: Standard, nothing changed

Hardware
RPi model: B/512
Power supply rating: Didn't find that value. Does xbian need more power than raspian?
SD card size and make/type: 8GB Toshiba
Network (wireless or LAN): LAN
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, etc.):

Problem description and so on:
I can't get nor set an IP for ssh! Angry
My Xbian is NOT connected to some router, all discussions I found are always mentioning some router. But in Linux you can set your IP without having a router. dhcp deamon or static. It's simply not working in xbian. I can't set my IP in the gui, nor in xbian-config, nor in the shell.

evtl. Gateway 192.168.42.0

gui: unexpexted error occured
xbian-config: I currently don't remember the error message
shell (../interfaces): noting after restart
Same works well with raspian. Didn't test other IPs cause I got to frustrated about it yesterday.
How are you connecting to ssh if your Pi isn't connected to a network?
It's not connected to a router, but I can connect it to my notebook.
Why not let the PC assign an address? Are you doing ICS on Windows?
(12th Dec, 2014 05:16 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]Why not let the PC assign an address? Are you doing ICS on Windows?
Just a Linux SSH connection via Shell. There's surely some way, but I'm not so fit in that stuff, yet. Maybe making the notebook to some dhcp server or so. I'm just wondering why it's not working the regular way in Xbian. There are even entries in the gui and in the config program, but it doesn't keep the IP.
The LAN on a Linux based install is not setup by default to do routing the way you are attempting, what is your desktop OS and desktop manager? Like mine is Mint Linux with cinnamon DM.
(12th Dec, 2014 07:27 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]The LAN on a Linux based install is not setup by default to do routing the way you are attempting, what is your desktop OS and desktop manager? Like mine is Mint Linux with cinnamon DM.

I just want to run SSH on Xbian to transfer files from my notebook to Xbian. Routing is another thing.

Currently I'm using Puppy Linux, I plan to change to AntiX (Debian). But that's not the point here:
Xbian is not accepting, nor storing an IP configuration, or I don't know how to do it. It isn't possible to connect to my Xbian cause it has no IP adress.
I was asking so I could advise on how to proceed. Does puppy have dhcpd installed? If setting a static IP isn't working it should be fixed but in the meantime you should try running a dhcp server on your linux machine.
(13th Dec, 2014 01:22 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]I was asking so I could advise on how to proceed. Does puppy have dhcpd installed? If setting a static IP isn't working it should be fixed but in the meantime you should try running a dhcp server on your linux machine.
Thanks, but this is something I could find out on my own. Currently it's more likely that I'm dropping Xbian for some alternative, cause to much stuff isn't working.
You have a fairly negative attitude about receiving help, perhaps you should try another distribution. XBian is beta level software, you can't expect everything to always just work.

If you could figure it out on your own then why ask for help? You are capable of adding a static IP address through xbian-config, since it isn't working for you I was offering a workaround until a real solution could be found.
(13th Dec, 2014 08:02 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]You have a fairly negative attitude about receiving help, perhaps you should try another distribution. XBian is beta level software, you can't expect everything to always just work.

If you could figure it out on your own then why ask for help? You are capable of adding a static IP address through xbian-config, since it isn't working for you I was offering a workaround until a real solution could be found.
Thanks for trying to help. The problem here is, I don't want a workaround. I had to invest more time into this, then there would be still lots of other stuff which is not working. I didn't know that xbian is beta software, maybe someone should put this information to the website as a warning. So, yes I expect basic Linux functions to work in an official release in 2014.
RC means release candidate, not final. I didn't mean to come of as brash, after rereading my post I certainly did.

Your configuration is out of the ordinary which is why this issue has not occurred previously.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's