Forum

Full Version: HEVC/.265 on Xbian
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(27th Nov, 2014 09:39 PM)syco Wrote: [ -> ]
(22nd Nov, 2014 11:56 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]I suggest something x86 for horsepower.

Btw, I just checked that Fire TV ... and well, this
baby really has the word "horse power" branded
into its case. At least, the reviews talk high words
of it.

Xbian on that box would be just the nicest thing,
I guess.
check Slice, box based on RPi module, so I'm sure you would be able to get XBian on it Wink
(27th Nov, 2014 09:39 PM)syco Wrote: [ -> ]
(22nd Nov, 2014 11:56 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]I suggest something x86 for horsepower.

Btw, I just checked that Fire TV ... and well, this
baby really has the word "horse power" branded
into its case. At least, the reviews talk high words
of it.

Xbian on that box would be just the nicest thing,
I guess.

Dont get your hopes up for HEVC (H/X.265) hardware decode on the Fire TV...

The Fire has an Adreno 320 GPU on its SoC (the Qualcomm APQ8064 also known as S4 Pro) and its a very good GPU but does not hard decode HEVC... The support for HEVC starts with the 330 model :/ https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/comparison
(27th Nov, 2014 11:18 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]check Slice, box based on RPi module, so I'm sure you would be able to get XBian on it Wink

I will do that. Is it a stronger RPi or what? Smile

(28th Nov, 2014 09:51 PM)Exnor Wrote: [ -> ]Dont get your hopes up for HEVC (H/X.265) hardware decode on the Fire TV...

The Fire has an Adreno 320 GPU on its SoC (the Qualcomm APQ8064 also known as S4 Pro) and its a very good GPU but does not hard decode HEVC... The support for HEVC starts with the 330 model :/ https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/comparison

Ah, shit, I see ... What a pity. I thought because of the ARM technology it would be fine.
(28th Nov, 2014 10:20 PM)syco Wrote: [ -> ]
(27th Nov, 2014 11:18 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]check Slice, box based on RPi module, so I'm sure you would be able to get XBian on it Wink

(28th Nov, 2014 09:51 PM)Exnor Wrote: [ -> ]Dont get your hopes up for HEVC (H/X.265) hardware decode on the Fire TV...

Ah, shit, I see ... What a pity. I thought because of the ARM technology it would be fine.

Well since it has 4 core Krait cores it can maybe do soft decode (?)...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fiveninjas/slice-a-media-player-and-more

(28th Nov, 2014 10:34 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fiveninjas/slice-a-media-player-and-more

Well its a nice project but does the Pi have the "power" to do all that without some user interface lag? I have my 2 Pi's at max OC and sometimes it still "lags" on inputs and whatnot.
In the end is kind of expensive for a nice looking box that have a lot less to offer than for example the Fire TV hardware (minus the HDD) IMO...
I was just wondering the same ... so it is just a normal RPi B+
with more RAM, right? CPU and GPU or decoding wise there is
no change or did I see something wrong?
(29th Nov, 2014 12:09 AM)syco Wrote: [ -> ]I was just wondering the same ... so it is just a normal RPi B+
with more RAM, right? CPU and GPU or decoding wise there is
no change or did I see something wrong?

No its just the same 512MiB. They are using the Pi compute module and not the model B/B+, and a custom made board for the module... The RAM is soldered on top of the SoC so i think it would be quite difficult to mod that.
What do you think about the Wetek Play box
coming soon or is it just the same too low
hardware?
(3rd Dec, 2014 10:58 PM)syco Wrote: [ -> ]What do you think about the Wetek Play box
coming soon or is it just the same too low
hardware?

Well the SoC its superior in every aspect than the Pi one AmLogic Soc Specs, but it cant hardware decode HEVC...
Once again i dont know if the dual Cortex A9 CPU will be able to do that or even if will be any support for it...

As for the specs its a no brainer.. superior than anything based on the Pi compute module... the only thing to consider is, will it be supported by the open source community?
The Pi's GPU is amazing really, the CPU is the major bottleneck. I want a Pi based board with quad core armv8 based set of cores, gigabit ethernet, and eSATA or USB3.
(4th Dec, 2014 02:55 PM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]The Pi's GPU is amazing really, the CPU is the major bottleneck. I want a Pi based board with quad core armv8 based set of cores, gigabit ethernet, and eSATA or USB3.

with all these specs you reaching prices of the microATX computers so not really a point.
And really, if someone want the all eating machine with a power to chew even the newest and more complicated formats, than you have no choice just to get Intel/AMD based HTPC
I have a small AMD based PC (Dell Zino) that can handle everything I throw at it, the problem to me is that it uses 45 watts of power. I did pay $400 USD for it back when I got it.
Well for the record i'm super happy with my 2 little Pi's as HTPC's.

So far nothing beats the power consumption of this babys... i used to have an Intel dual core but my PSU was eating about 100W/h so.... It was time to get rid of it.
Pis and HTPCs without '. Tongue Wink

But you are right. Low power consumption is really important,
as my two Pis are running all days/nights long, too.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's