Forum

Full Version: Moving local files to SMB share
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering.. it is possible to hava all DBs, artworks and so on on an SMB share instead of the SD card? I mean, transfer rate (in my case at least) is higher via LAN, and in this way I could have multiple XBMC clients reading a common db
(yes, I've seen the link on lifehacker, but it is.. an hack, and involves mainly the "stop watching a movie in a room, continue in another room" scenario... I'm thinking about the fact that thru the interface it seems not to be possible for now..)
What do you think about it?
Thanks!
Yes, i already run my setup like that.
you looking for something like this Wink
http://wiki.xbian.org/index.php?title=Shared_Sources
(14th Jan, 2013 04:07 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, i already run my setup like that.

sorry... would you please share how did you accomplish that?
Thanks!

Thanks, I did read the similar post as mentioned in the first post, but this way the artworks will remain local to the machine.. or I did understand it wrong?
you chose the device on the network which than serve the MYSQL database with your library to all the other XBMC machines.
This can be one of the RPi's or any other computer or server, NAS Server,etc.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Sync_multiple_libraries/Setting_up_MySQL#tab=Windows
You can also put the thumbnails on a samba or nfs share, as long as they mount before xbmc starts.
(14th Jan, 2013 06:22 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]You can also put the thumbnails on a samba or nfs share, as long as they mount before xbmc starts.

If I put the entire XBMC folders on a SMB share it should work then, provided there is no concurrent access to the DBs.. what folders then can be SAFELY moved onto a share?

Also, I've tried putting an entry in the FSTAB for mounting at boot.. but the syntax seems to be wrong .. anyone managed to do so?

Code:
//server/share /pathto/mountpoint cifs credentials=/home/xbian/.smbcredentials 0 0

with the smbcredentials being:

Code:
username=shareuser
password=sharepassword
domain=workgroupname

Thanks!
This is how my userdata folder looks, the symlinks are all to my smb share:
Terminal

drwxr-xr-x 3 xbian xbian 4096 Jan 14 11:15 Database
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbian xbian 2059 Jan 1 1970 LCD.xml
lrwxrwxrwx 1 xbian xbian 36 Jan 5 21:39 Lircmap.xml -> /media/rpi/Configuration/Lircmap.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbian xbian 391 Jan 1 1970 RssFeeds.xml
lrwxrwxrwx 1 xbian xbian 35 Jan 6 13:09 Thumbnails -> /media/rpi/Configuration/Thumbnails
drwxr-xr-x 9 xbian xbian 4096 Jan 7 00:55 addon_data
lrwxrwxrwx 1 xbian xbian 45 Jan 5 21:39 advancedsettings.xml -> /media/rpi/Configuration/advancedsettings.xml
lrwxrwxrwx 1 xbian xbian 40 Jan 5 21:39 guisettings.xml -> /media/rpi/Configuration/guisettings.xml
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbian xbian 4096 Jan 5 21:39 keymaps
drwxr-xr-x 2 xbian xbian 4096 Dec 7 13:42 library
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbian xbian 137 Nov 7 22:29 mediasources.xml
drwxrwxr-x 2 xbian xbian 4096 Dec 6 00:47 peripheral_data
drwxr-xr-x 5 xbian xbian 4096 Jan 1 1970 playlists
-rw-r--r-- 1 xbian xbian 897 Jan 14 02:04 profiles.xml
lrwxrwxrwx 1 xbian xbian 36 Jan 5 21:39 sources.xml -> /media/rpi/Configuration/sources.xml

Code:
//server/share        /media/rpi      cifs    username=....,password=....,rw,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
you are sharing the guisettings too? only works if you have the same skins running on all boxes right?
Yes
kk thx! i just destroyed my quartz skin settings, because i used the standardskin on the other pi... bad luck Wink
Reference URL's