Forum

Full Version: Please give us a feedback, comments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This thread is really going off topic - so if you want to continue, then create another thread.

Xbian WAS the bleeding edge, but alas we lack the the resources to make it so. We have to accept, that Xbian is just another media player for the RPi, HB & CB. The best but that is my opinion.

Previously when Xbian was only for the RPi, it is more than likely that Xbian would have been on Kodi, but alas, it is not so. Saying that, Kodi is nothing more than a rename.

As to numbers, due to the work of the developers, the number of "problems" has reduced significantly. If we increased the number of users by 10 fold as defined by FB numbers then could we cope?
@IriDium by the time you have replied I have done a change, split the original thread so this can be discussed separately Wink so I have moved your post here too Wink
Xbian is open source project with community. It's typical that such projects have people doing different stuff. Like the hard core devels doing the technical stuff whenever they get time to do that. On the other hand, any of us, the users could help on the social side. It's valuable in getting the community bigger. So why not all the happy users go and keep tweeting and touting in fb and google+ etc the small good things they find new in each release. I understand the devs don't have necessarily the time or interest to do that. It would be small effort for users to make xbian to show alive for newcomers googling about it.

Personally I like Xbian a lot. It is the best way of running XBMC on RasPI. It has both very recent XBMC, and a real linux distro under it, which lets you add all the normal debian bits. And good upgrade mechanism. Excellent work devs, thanks a lot!
(13th Jan, 2015 07:00 AM)ikke Wrote: [ -> ]Xbian is open source project with community. It's typical that such projects have people doing different stuff. Like the hard core devels doing the technical stuff whenever they get time to do that. On the other hand, any of us, the users could help on the social side. It's valuable in getting the community bigger. So why not all the happy users go and keep tweeting and touting in fb and google+ etc the small good things they find new in each release. I understand the devs don't have necessarily the time or interest to do that. It would be small effort for users to make xbian to show alive for newcomers googling about it.

Personally I like Xbian a lot. It is the best way of running XBMC on RasPI. It has both very recent XBMC, and a real linux distro under it, which lets you add all the normal debian bits. And good upgrade mechanism. Excellent work devs, thanks a lot!

this is the spirit Wink thanks for your feedback
@ikke, if you are willing to participate in our social media team, tell us. We're happy to get new member for social media stuff.
(13th Jan, 2015 10:06 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]@ikke, if you are willing to participate in our social media team, tell us. We're happy to get new member for social media stuff.

I think he was more about "spreading a word" as a member of community, of what ever information is available.
We actually do not need more manpower to do social media, all we need is a stuff to put there
We always need more manpower Smile The bigger the marrier.
I’m very happy with this topic and would like to share my feedback as well.

First of all, I am very happy with Xbian, I believe it is technically superior to the other distro’s, ans I love the rolling releases. There was a time I ran the update checker every day, which almost every day made me kinda happy, since there were updates, eg improving my media center!

What I do think is that XBian should be more client focused. I’m convinced that the core devvers are one of the best in the field, and they should really focus on core fixes, but of the frond-end side, there are a few thinks which bother me. For instance, I really do not understand that there is an image on the download page of xbian, which is not working out-of-the-box. In fact, a newcomer first needs to go to the FAQ to find his mandatory fixes. (no intend to the guys who created the image and created the faq page), but these fixes should just be incorporated in a new image. Other things I noticed are for instance on the xbian config screen in xbmc. Still there are sub-labels like”xbian-config.common.clickonload” and an “extra” label without a capital. Sure, these issues on non-blocking for usage of the software, but the perception for the customer is killing! They should have the impression that xbian is written with care, that a lot of dedication and precision if put into the code (which of course there is!! But not visible for newcomers).

I’m no developer and have no programming skills, so unfortunately I cannot fix these issues. But I did report some of these cosmetical issues to the github. I even did all the Dutch translations on transiflex for xbian about a year ago, but it just never got implemented!

Maybe not all will agree on my statements, but these are just my 2 cents.
CurlyMo, thanks for the offer, but I would be cheating if I promise to do that stuff. Currently work and kids eat all my time, I hardly have time to keep my systems up to date. I meant more like rikardo1979 said, spreading the word and letting people know about good stuff too, not just writing about errors.

But talking about social media, I just realized the XbianOnPi twitter account. Any chance to get that feed on the xbian.org news page in addition to current news? It would show some life signs from project for newcomers, while the official news are rather rare.
(14th Jan, 2015 07:35 AM)ikke Wrote: [ -> ]CurlyMo, thanks for the offer, but I would be cheating if I promise to do that stuff. Currently work and kids eat all my time, I hardly have time to keep my systems up to date. I meant more like rikardo1979 said, spreading the word and letting people know about good stuff too, not just writing about errors.

But talking about social media, I just realized the XbianOnPi twitter account. Any chance to get that feed on the xbian.org news page in addition to current news? It would show some life signs from project for newcomers, while the official news are rather rare.
thanks
we use to have than widget with twitter feed before last we update etc. may add it back and see
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's