Forum

Full Version: Direct Access to Pi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

I have a maybe stupid question, but I can not find
the solution right now.

I want to access the Pi's directories in Windows, but
not bei SSH/Putty. So, I want to reach the file structure
of the Pi. Like seeing files in the Explorer view.

Before an update some weeks ago, that was easily
possible. I just had to click on "Xbian-Beamer" in my
network list and then I saw all the files and directories.

Now that seems to be gone. There is still a link, but
that leads to the new (?) web interface, where you
can see the movies/series/music in Xbian (which is
nice, too, but not what I need right now).

So, can you tell me how to gain access to the files and
directories again? Maybe without installing any programmes
or so?

Thank you, mates.
SMB must not be running, could you pastebin the output of dmesg?
SMB has to be deactivated? Okay, I did that
right now in usbmount.conf and rebooted,
but no change here.

How to get the dmesg output?

Nevermind, I changed that:

SHARESMB=no
SHAREW=yes

... and then I could go into Explorer and enter \\192.168...
and it works now, I hope.

... but still it is weird, that I have to enter
the IP into the address field and not just
being able to click on the Xbian-Beamer
shortcut. :\
That means there is a hostname issue, try rebooting your router.
I had the same problem. It worked fine on a Rasberry with XBian 1.0 RC3 but when I updated to a new version of XBian no Samba shares were visible in Windows. On my Android phone however, I could see these shares but the name of the workgroup was not visible (used Fing, great app). I have very little knowledge of Linux but with some help of a friend I found out that nmbd service wasn’t running. This is the log file: /var/log/samba/log.nmbd (you have to login (Putty) with root to view the directory).

So I start searching on ‘Samba’ and ‘nmbd’ between the old and the new version and find out that the file /etc/init.d/samba was missing. With this file you can restart Samba. This file contains the command to start the nmbd service:

start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --oknodo --exec /usr/sbin/nmbd -- -D

What I finally did to solve the problem is copying the file /etc/init.d/samba from the old XBian version to a directory named /etc/rc2.d and renamed the file to s01samba. I don’t know how it works but this file is executed at start-up Smile I also copied the file to /etc/init.d

I don’t know if this is a good solution but it worked fine on my new Rasberry Pi 2 with XBian_2015.02.07_rpi2 installed. Hope this is helpful to you.
@DonEdu, can you post an issue on github requesting the autostart of nmbd?
(9th Feb, 2015 07:32 AM)DonEdu Wrote: [ -> ]I had the same problem. It worked fine on a Rasberry with XBian 1.0 RC3 but when I updated to a new version of XBian no Samba shares were visible in Windows. On my Android phone however, I could see these shares but the name of the workgroup was not visible (used Fing, great app). I have very little knowledge of Linux but with some help of a friend I found out that nmbd service wasn’t running. This is the log file: /var/log/samba/log.nmbd (you have to login (Putty) with root to view the directory).

So I start searching on ‘Samba’ and ‘nmbd’ between the old and the new version and find out that the file /etc/init.d/samba was missing. With this file you can restart Samba. This file contains the command to start the nmbd service:

start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --oknodo --exec /usr/sbin/nmbd -- -D

What I finally did to solve the problem is copying the file /etc/init.d/samba from the old XBian version to a directory named /etc/rc2.d and renamed the file to s01samba. I don’t know how it works but this file is executed at start-up Smile I also copied the file to /etc/init.d

I don’t know if this is a good solution but it worked fine on my new Rasberry Pi 2 with XBian_2015.02.07_rpi2 installed. Hope this is helpful to you.

Nice, mate! Works now with the manual start (your command).
Reference URL's