Forum

Full Version: Use EXT4 instead of BTRFS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Is it possible to use an EXT4 filesystem on my SD Card insted of BTRFS?
Why would you want to, just curious?
(10th Feb, 2015 08:46 PM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you want to, just curious?

Hi, I would like to use it because sometimes I want to put the SD card on my laptop which is running an older version os Ubuntu and doesn't mount the SD card.
(12th Feb, 2015 10:23 PM)xmbcboy Wrote: [ -> ]
(10th Feb, 2015 08:46 PM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you want to, just curious?

Hi, I would like to use it because sometimes I want to put the SD card on my laptop which is running an older version os Ubuntu and doesn't mount the SD card.
can't you just copy what ever you want over the network instead of swaping card between RPi and pc?
much easier and better I would say
BTRFS is baked in, there is no way AFAIK to use EXT4.
@f1vefour

this is like bad dream.
XBian is fs type independent since commits in March-2013 with public release of Beta2.

btrfs is a configuration option for auto img builder (for instance rpi2 img):
https://github.com/xbianonpi/xbian/blob/master/xbian-build-img/build/rpi2/config#L4

xbian-cloner accepts fstype parameter when destination (block device) is being specified for clone.
@mk01

The reason I said "baked in" is because of the btrfs auto-backup mechanism, I didn't know if it would break something to use a different filesystem.

Would it not?
It ofc does break some things like snapshots. I believe the backup system will just fall back to dd instead of the snapshot one.
(14th Jul, 2015 05:45 PM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]It ofc does break some things like snapshots. I believe the backup system will just fall back to dd instead of the snapshot one.

If it does that's awesome forward thinking.
(9th Jul, 2015 05:03 PM)mk01 Wrote: [ -> ]xbian-cloner accepts fstype parameter when destination (block device) is being specified for clone.

Uuuh, by "xbian-cloner" you mean that "blue" screen when logged as xbian user? i guess so?

//EDIT: Yes, he did Big Grin
Reference URL's