Forum

Full Version: Xbian won't find SSID *NO INTERNET*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys, so I'm trying to get the internet working on my Raspberry Pi B Model that is currently running the latest Version of Xbian (Kodi). I have formatted my SD Card at least 7 times already trying different OS's and I found this one and it is speedy and the performance doesn't fall short rather than the Wifi. I'm using a USB Belkin Range Extender through my Pi and trying to get Xbian to find my SSID. I've clicked Wlan0 and changed it to DHCP and clicked SSID and it brings up a black box that says SSID at the top but with 0 Results whatsoever. I tried going into the Command Console by exiting the system and typing

Login: xbian
Password: raspberry

And getting into the GUI Management Screen (Blue Screen). I go to Settings > Network > Wlan0 > DHCP > Scan. It says "Scanning for Networks" and then has a black bar pop up for a split second at the bottom of the screen reading, "Interface not compatible with scanning:Network Down".

If you are able to help, thank you, it is much appreciated! - Ethan
Specs:
Xbian (Latest Version)
Raspberry Pi B Model
PNY Optima 8GB SD Card
Belkin USB Range Extender
Could you please post the output of "dmesg" to pastebin and link here?
I have and use a USB Belkin Range Extender (Turquoise panel) and not had any issues.

What mode are you using, and what settings have you put for the extender - static or DHCP?

Can you log into the extender via a webpage?

Also can you try the ethernet port on the extender and see if that works?
It's just a USB Range extender. One you would just plug into a USB Port. Not a wall, just a port. It doesn't have Ethernet because it's a stick like shape. I put a pic below to show you.

It's been a crazy ride. Had Openelec, none of the TV shows or movies had links and I installed every single Updated and available Plug-in needed. Tried putting Raspbmc on the Pi and it went in a boot loop. Re-formatted the SD card and then again installed Xbian. I got to the Set Up Screen of Xbian and I clicked:

Wlan0 <--- So it did Recognize the Extender
DHCP
SSID

Once I clicked SSID, a blank black window popped up that said SSID at the very top of it, but with 0 Network Results listed. Like I said in the first message, I went to the power button, clicked it and then clicked exit which took me to a Command Console to which I entered:

Login: xbian
Password: raspberry

And it then took me to a blue background GUI Screen. I clicked: Settings > Network > Wlan0 > DHCP > Scan. It then said "Scanning for Networks" and a black bar arose from the bottom of the screen stating:

"Interface doesn't support Scan : Network Down".

I just need help as to why Xbian is doing this. My internet is connected, I have an extender plugged into the Pi, the Pi has had Signal on other OS's.
Sounds like your power adapter is not putting out enough amps.
I had the same problem and after several tries I found that this happens if my WLAN was on channel 12 or 13.
Setting the router to channel to 1-11 fixed this.

Maybe this is the same at your site?
I don't know, where the limit to channels 1-11 come from: XBIAN or the stick?
Well in the US it's not legal to use 12 or 13.
I'm honestly not sure at all. All I know is, the Wifi won't connect to it. I'm using the latest Xbian Installer and the latest OS. Maybe you're right f1ve, the adapter might not be running enough amps.

I looked on the Adapter and it said 5.0 Volts.
How many amps is your power adapter, the board can be pretty power hungry when powering USB stuff.
It says on the adapter 5.0V = 1.0A
One amp isn't enough to power the board and USB accessories, I would almost bet money that is your issue. Wireless is especially sensitive about power fluctuations.
Hi everyone,

I am having exactely the same issue above and i have a power supply of 2Amp.

Any ideas?
Is there any chance to tell Xbian that it is ok to use other wifi-channels? Im located in EUROPE and i need to be able to scan channels which are not allowed to us in the US.
Usually i can set the WIFI Area/CountryCode so my WIFI is found. There seems to be no place in XBian where i can do so.
i dont even understand how edit it using the command line. usually i simply change the wpa_supplicant.conf with a text editor, but it seems debian is not normally using this config?

Any ideas?
(1st Feb, 2017 09:22 PM)udo.christ Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any chance to tell Xbian that it is ok to use other wifi-channels? Im located in EUROPE and i need to be able to scan channels which are not allowed to us in the US.
Usually i can set the WIFI Area/CountryCode so my WIFI is found. There seems to be no place in XBian where i can do so.
i dont even understand how edit it using the command line. usually i simply change the wpa_supplicant.conf with a text editor, but it seems debian is not normally using this config?

Any ideas?

Hmmm, i'm able to use channel 13 w/o any problems.

You can edit /etc/network/interfaces to setup wlanX manually:

For example, here is my setup for wlan0 and static ip:

Code:
allow-hotplug wlan0
#auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
wpa-ssid MYSSID
wpa-psk MYWPA2KEY
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
address 192.168.1.21
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.10

or if you wish to put settings into wpa_supplicant.conf, it looks like this

Code:
allow-hotplug wlan0
#auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
address 192.168.1.21
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.10
wpa-iface wlan0
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
(2nd Feb, 2017 01:33 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]
(1st Feb, 2017 09:22 PM)udo.christ Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any chance to tell Xbian that it is ok to use other wifi-channels? Im located in EUROPE and i need to be able to scan channels which are not allowed to us in the US.

Any ideas?

Hmmm, i'm able to use channel 13 w/o any problems.

You can edit /etc/network/interfaces to setup wlanX manually:

For example, here is my setup for wlan0 and static ip:

Code:
allow-hotplug wlan0
#auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
wpa-ssid MYSSID
wpa-psk MYWPA2KEY
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
address 192.168.1.21
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.10

or if you wish to put settings into wpa_supplicant.conf, it looks like this

Code:
allow-hotplug wlan0
#auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
address 192.168.1.21
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.10
wpa-iface wlan0
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Im running a raspberry pi 3b.
for the live of me i cannot get the xbian distro to scan and find my WIFI AP.
Using the latest Jessie (lite) on the same box with a different sd card there is no issue finding/connecting to the WIFI event directly using their raspi-config tool.

tried iw* tools and wpa_cli to scan and connect via cmd.line. My SSID is never shown/found.

is there any know issue with the PI3 and the WIFI setup for that? My AP is a Cisco Aironet which has no issues with this pi on a different os or any other hw i throw at it.

as soon as i switch my AP to a channel != 12 or 13 the WLAN interface comes up and gets an ip address via dhcp.
is it possible that the regulatory domain setting is somehow not obeyed by xbian?
iv'e done a "set country DE" on wpa_cli before scanning and my WIFI was on channel 13 --> Not listed
after setting the WIFI to channel 6 its scanned and found.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's