Forum

Full Version: How do I manually start the vnc server?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Fresh install of Xbian (XBian_2015.02.28_rpi2).

So, How do I manually start the vnc server?

Thank-You

freaked
ssh into you RPi.
xbian-config should start automatically.
Option 3 Services
Select vnc-server
Select start/autostart as required.
(1st Mar, 2015 04:00 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]ssh into you RPi.
Option 3 Services
Select vnc-server

Thank-You, for your help, but when I do it that way all I get in tightvnc(win8.1) is a black screen. I should of asked if there's a way to start it from the shell...my bad

freaked
If you selected start automatically, there is no need to start it from the shell as it should be running.

To manually start/stop run sudo stop/start vnc-server

I've just tested on latest RPi2 S/W from Ubuntu and it works fine. I would check your setting in Win8. Use none or ssh
(1st Mar, 2015 04:46 AM)freaked Wrote: [ -> ]
(1st Mar, 2015 04:00 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]ssh into you RPi.
Option 3 Services
Select vnc-server

Thank-You, for your help, but when I do it that way all I get in tightvnc(win8.1) is a black screen. I should of asked if there's a way to start it from the shell...my bad

freaked

When I connect it to through the vnc client, it's asking me the password. How do I set the vnc password on Xbian?

Thanks!
It's the same password you set for xbian - if not, then the default raspberry. However there is no need to set credentials it will connect without any,
Thanks IriDium,

I was getting the ZlibHex unknown subencoding error when using chicken vnc on my Mac.
Don't know what caused it.
I switched to use tightvnc on Windows and it worked.
I actually have an issue where I can connect to VNC properly, but I see no screen updates on the client; it just stays at the starting xbian splashscreen. Make the vnc client window your focused window, and see if you can control your pi (it needs to be hooked up to a screen to test). If so, it's working, just not sending X properly.
@Jibbij Do not use any credentials, also it is not an X server, so don't select that option. Use the defaults and it will connect.
(1st Mar, 2015 11:11 PM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]If you selected start automatically, there is no need to start it from the shell as it should be running.

To manually start/stop run sudo stop/start vnc-server

I've just tested on latest RPi2 S/W from Ubuntu and it works fine. I would check your setting in Win8. Use none or ssh

Thanks for your help. Seems the only way not to get a black screen in the vnc programs that I've tried, is starting the rPi's vnc-server manually.
Reference URL's