Forum

Full Version: 8gb vs 16gb micro SD Card FREE SPACE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

Im using RP2 with XBian_2015.02.28_rpi2 in a 8GB micro SD CARD class 4, Im thinking about changing it to another of 16 GB class 10 but my doubt is that first I tried with a 4GB card and the system info showed that I had 561MB free which was the same free space that I have with the 8GB. So if I buy a 16GB card class 10, Am I gonna continue having 561MB free? When I download the ArtWork that space reduce, so Im worry about buying a new 16GB card when Im gonna have the same free useful space.

Thank you in advance.
obviously your sd card wasn't resized for what ever reason.
XBian has auto resize tool which resize your card at first boot, so whole capacity is used
(6th Mar, 2015 09:15 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]obviously your sd card wasn't resized for what ever reason.
XBian has auto resize tool which resize your card at first boot, so whole capacity is used

Thanks a lot for the answer, is there any way to resize my card after the first boot? or should I start from the scratch?

Also if I use a sd card class 10, will be charged faster the menus?? Its cos sometimes it takes 5 or 6 seconds loading inside a menu, but I dont know if it is cos the sd card class 4 or cos Im using a 3TB HDD. Also takes like 10 seconds to load the covers of the movies.

Thank you in advance!
XBian should automatically resize your SD card automatically.

Something is ODD here. I've never noticed issues like this on a RPi2. How did you install the image?

Even so.

It sounds like a swap issue.

The best idea is to download gparted system recovery boot iso. Burn it to a CD or follow the instructions to copy to a USB. Run that and then resize the image.

On an RPi2 you should not see any delay in loading menus, so it seems something else is the problem.

I would solve the freespace problem first before buying a new SD card. Personally I haven't noticed any degradation between a class 4 or class 10 on the RPi2.
(8th Mar, 2015 03:45 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]XBian should automatically resize your SD card automatically.

Something is ODD here. I've never noticed issues like this on a RPi2. How did you install the image?

Even so.

It sounds like a swap issue.

The best idea is to download gparted system recovery boot iso. Burn it to a CD or follow the instructions to copy to a USB. Run that and then resize the image.

On an RPi2 you should not see any delay in loading menus, so it seems something else is the problem.

I would solve the freespace problem first before buying a new SD card. Personally I haven't noticed any degradation between a class 4 or class 10 on the RPi2.

Thanks for the answer. Today I bought a new SD Card 16 GB and class 10. I installed the new version (XBian_2015.03.07_rpi2) and it works flawlessly! So it was a problem with the old sd cards.

Thanks a lot for the answers!

PS. With the old SD cards I use hard disk low level format tool and after that win32diskimager to copy the image.
Reference URL's