Forum

Full Version: HDD gets mounted and then unmounted again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there!

The problem in short:
My external HDD gets mounted, and then unmounted again shortly thereafter (a few seconds). I know that because of the messages "device successfully mounted" and "device successfully unmounted" or something like that.

Background:
Recently, my RaspberryPi didn't show the content of my external HDD anymore. I unplugged the drive and tested it with my laptop. The drive is formatted with ext3 (I think? some "ext" in any case), and I managed to read and copy the content. So the drive looks okay. Then I updated Xbian to its newest stable version - still the same problem. After that, I tried the newest unstable version - still the same result. Though I changed Xbian versions, I didn't delete the configuration files / customization.

Could the reason be a corrupted configuration file? Or is it something else?

Thanks.
It sounds like there is a power issue with the HDD.
You haven't explained your configuration in "Please read before you post" so I will have to guess.

How is it powered?

If not powered then you need to use a powered hub. If it has it's own power supply, then please post the output from dmesg via pastebin.com.

RPi A,B and + only supply 100ma to the USB port.
RPi2 only gives about 400ma.

A standard HDD requires around 490ma.
(18th Mar, 2015 08:36 PM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]It sounds like there is a power issue with the HDD.
You haven't explained your configuration in "Please read before you post" so I will have to guess.

How is it powered?

If not powered then you need to use a powered hub. If it has it's own power supply, then please post the output from dmesg via pastebin.com.

RPi A,B and + only supply 100ma to the USB port.
RPi2 only gives about 400ma.

A standard HDD requires around 490ma.

As the HDD is a slim one, it doesn't have a separate power supply. It is connected to the RaspberryPi via two USB plugs (one cable that branches off into two USB plugs at the end). I cannot conceive how this should be a problem as the HDD had been used for many months before this issue came up.
Do you need more information? As I'm not a Linux crack I don't know how to get the "output from dmesg".
(21st Mar, 2015 08:35 AM)goodappetite Wrote: [ -> ]As I'm not a Linux crack I don't know how to get the "output from dmesg".

You will need access via SSH for it. Login and just type "sudo dmesg" to see the system log.
Hi,
I bought myself a new power supply with 2500 mA (the old one had 1200 mA). Now it works again!
Thanks to you all!
Reference URL's