Forum

Full Version: Kodi Video Calibration to perform at each reboot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I'm experiencing a strange problem that I can't reproduce with OpenELEC, and it is really annoying .
Each time that i reboot xbian I have to recalibrate the video output, otherwise I have the output of the system bigger size than the television screen .

Is there a way to solve ?

The problem is only related to xbian since if I switch SD card on my Raspberry Pi2 and put inside OpenELEC 5.0.6 I have no problem at all ...
plese, make sure you have overscan OFF on your TV and also force your aspect ration on TV to 16:9, not leve it on Auto.
discussed multiple times, so you may use search to find more info
(29th Mar, 2015 12:29 AM)aleroot Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
I'm experiencing a strange problem that I can't reproduce with OpenELEC, and it is really annoying .
Each time that i reboot xbian I have to recalibrate the video output, otherwise I have the output of the system bigger size than the television screen .

Is there a way to solve ?

The problem is only related to xbian since if I switch SD card on my Raspberry Pi2 and put inside OpenELEC 5.0.6 I have no problem at all ...
Hi,
On mine, I changed value into Settings/Appearence/Skin: Zoom: -4%
I don't change anything with video calibration.
In the past when I used RaspBMC, I encountered this issue, and I solved it with this settings.
Now, on my Xbian powered Rpi, I set this settings too and It works too.
But if you open the video settings while a video is playing and zoom out to about 97% you will see that Skin zoom only applies to the gui and not video scaling.
just to show you what happen when you leave your overscan ON in your TV settings

Overscan ON (shouldn't use this)

Overscan OFF (as it should be)

So without any changes or any not needed calibration you get a perfect fit in your screen
I can do that also Richard but then I lose dynamic contrast, stupid but it is the way my TV is.
(29th Mar, 2015 04:29 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]I can do that also Richard but then I lose dynamic contrast, stupid but it is the way my TV is.

whats your tv exact? doesnt really make sense how overscan should have affect on contrast?
It's a Hisense, not at home so can't check the model. It doesn't make sense but I indeed lose dynamic contrast, sharpness, and contrast if I dont set it to something other than native resolution (1366x768). I have to set it to 1920x1080 or 1280x720 and adjust for overscan.

I looked it up, its a Hisense 32h3e
Solved removing overscan, however the question is : why with openELEC it works correctly even with overscan ?
(29th Mar, 2015 08:24 PM)aleroot Wrote: [ -> ]Solved removing overscan, however the question is : why with openELEC it works correctly even with overscan ?

different settings in config maybe? cant say without testing
btw, this is what I always trying to tell everyone since day one
I have never ever needed to use screen calibration for simple reason - proper setup of my Kodi and TV
Simple as that
Cool
All TVs aren't created equal, trust me I know how to setup my TV and KODI. This isn't just with a Raspberry, my PS3 and Odroids are the same way except the PS3 automatically sets the correct overscan.

My TV reports a lot of available resolutions and hz, such as 1920x1080@24hz...etc. When in any mode other than native resolution all display adjustments are available, it has to do with using the display as a PC monitor where you don't want dynamic contrast and such since the PC will have it's own adjustments. Most video sources (PS3, BluRay players...etc) will automatically select 720p and not 768p which is the native resolution and what a PC would select, but Pi's and such are like PC's and by default select the native 768p but have no extra display control features like real PC's (other than size adjustment).

I understand why my TV behaves this way, I don't agree with it but I understand it. Obviously something is screwy with most display sources such as the Pi because I need no adjustment with the PS3. I select 1080p on the PS3 and I have a perfectly aligned display, I select 1080p on the Pi in KODI and I have to 'shrink' the picture in KODI because it doesn't display properly. This is some type of issue with cheap HDMI sources such as the Raspberry Pi, like I said on the PS3 it works as it should.

I can do like you Richard and disable overscan in the TV menu and all resolutions will display correctly, but what the TV is doing when I disable overscan is essentially kicking the resolution to native 768p (1366x768 PC mode) and disabling dynamic contrast, sharpness, and contrast adjustment. Stupid but true.

I will go a bit further and explain PC mode, PC mode disables all extra video processing to give you the fastest possible display, no video processing on the TV gives lower latencies which affect how you perceive mouse movement and doing things such as playing games where low latencies are necessary.
Reference URL's