Forum

Full Version: Failed to bring up wlan0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have installed xbian and unable to get wireless working, can someone please help? Below are details:
Wireless adapter: EDIMAX EW-7811Un
uname - a
Linux xbian 3.6.11+ #10 PREEMPT Thu Jan 3 … armv61 GNU/Linux

Error for wireless request "Set Power Management" (8B2C) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Function not implemented.
wpa_supplicant: /sbin/ wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
Failed to bring up wlan0

My /etc/network/interfaces file is listed below:
auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

wpa-ssid "wireless"
wpa-psk "12345"
wireless-power off

My /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file is listed below:
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
Did you use xbian-config to configure your network?
(20th Jan, 2013 07:54 PM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]Did you use xbian-config to configure your network?

Yes, I tried xbian-config to configure wireless network. I must be missing something very obvious.
hi,
Also have an Edimax (non "N") card btw. Got it working in the end.
Installed xbian on the pi last night (1.0Alpha4) had the same problem. (had openelec previously) Didn't want to associate at all. The xbian-config does update the /etc/network/interfaces file but no luck, didnt detect wireless networks nor associated to the WLAN. I don't think it reads or formats the /etc/network/interfaces file correctly. I would suggest taking everything from "allow-hotplug wlan0" out. Save the file and then type it all back, I changed "wireless-power off" to "wireless-power on". Combination of these two seemed to resolve most of the issues.

Other problems I encountered was that if the USB wireless card works the usb mouse does not, and if the ethernet was not plugged in at boot the wireless interface didn't start. Took a few goes but now it is working like a dream. USB mouse works, WLAN0 works (without the ethernet connected). It also associated but got no IP at some point. Static IP worked and after re-doing the /etc/network/interfaces file all was good, even on dhcp.
I have a non "n" wireless lan and it streams 1080p 3D movies over the wireless from a SMB share in the study with no issues. I'm really impressed with XBIAN
(30th Jan, 2013 04:28 PM)ChrisB Wrote: [ -> ]hi,
Also have an Edimax (non "N") card btw. Got it working in the end.
Installed xbian on the pi last night (1.0Alpha4) had the same problem. (had openelec previously) Didn't want to associate at all. The xbian-config does update the /etc/network/interfaces file but no luck, didnt detect wireless networks nor associated to the WLAN. I don't think it reads or formats the /etc/network/interfaces file correctly. I would suggest taking everything from "allow-hotplug wlan0" out. Save the file and then type it all back, I changed "wireless-power off" to "wireless-power on". Combination of these two seemed to resolve most of the issues.

Other problems I encountered was that if the USB wireless card works the usb mouse does not, and if the ethernet was not plugged in at boot the wireless interface didn't start. Took a few goes but now it is working like a dream. USB mouse works, WLAN0 works (without the ethernet connected). It also associated but got no IP at some point. Static IP worked and after re-doing the /etc/network/interfaces file all was good, even on dhcp.
I have a non "n" wireless lan and it streams 1080p 3D movies over the wireless from a SMB share in the study with no issues. I'm really impressed with XBIAN

I'm having the exact same problems you experienced. Would you be able to provide your config?
Reference URL's