Forum

Full Version: WD Elements 2tb, usb 3.0, 2.5 inch not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, i have the above hard drive, and i bought powered usb hub and 3A power supply for the Raspberry pi 2, so i think it has enough power, but no matter what, it wont work. I have the latest Xbian. If someone have some suggestions, it would be great. Thanks
Did you connect everything like below schematic ?
(thanks Pratik)

Ok thanks for this, but i can't do this, because i bought usb hub with 1A power supply, and separately 3A for the Raspberry itself, and can't use it for the hub because it has different power cable. I just don't see what is the difference if i connect it like this in the schematics. I only have one hard drive in usb huv, and directly in raspberry usb wlan adapter and usb for wireless keyboard and mouse. I have tried connecting another 1tb hard and it mounted instantly and i tried again with wd elements 2tb and it mounted it, but it couldn't access the files, the hard drive makes clicking noise like it doesn't have enough power, so i suspect it's cheap chinese power suply fault. I will try with something else when i get my hands on.
I've a feeling something is odd here. WD do not do a 2.5 inch 2.5TB hdd
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=470#Tab3

They do have a 3,5 inch 2.5TB HDD
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=260

I have both models but in different capacities.

The 2.5 inch USB drive can be powered by a 500ma USB socket

However, my 3.5 inch 2TB elements desktop came with it's own 12V 1.5amp power supply, so this could be the problem.
Sorry i write it wrong, i meant 2tb.
And i found a solution, a had one universal power supply 1.8A which i connected to the usb hub and it works now. So the bottom line is, i bought a cheap chinese usb hub from ebay, and it's power supply says it is 1A but obviously it's not. So be carefull when ordering. Thanks for the replies.
Just NEVER use cheap ebay/dx.com/etc. chinese power supplies. These things are deadly. Check the many websites about it.
You know that sounds a lot easier than it is, right. Not a lot of electronics that's not built in China.
I added a little more nuance.
Reference URL's