Forum

Full Version: How to play DVD discs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have no DVD player but I'm trying to watch a DVD with a laptop that has a USB DVD drive. The drive is shared from Windows and accessed from Xbian via Samba. For some reason when I try to play the DVD, whether by choosing the .ifo file from file manager or by choosing Play from the "right-click" menu from the video library, Kodi stops and restarts.

The strange thing is that with some DVDs there is no problem whatsoever, the menus work and all, but with for instance Gilmore Girls Season 3 disc Kodi freezes and restarts. It might have something to do with CSS encryption / copy protection I guess? Any idea what to do? I tried installing libdvdcss / libdvdcss2 and apparently succeeded in it from a single armhf package I downloaded and installed with dpkg. (Trying to compile from source code didn't work, I got an error saying that compiler can't make excutables when trying to ./configure the installation before make install). Anyway, the libdvdcss2 didn't help. I'm running the latest version of Xbian on a Raspberry Pi 2 and I have purchased the MPEG-2 license.
You will need to provide a debug log after KODI crashes.
If you are using Handbrake to rip DVDs with CSS encryption, libdvdcss is a necessity. But you said that the libdvdcss2 didn't help. In this case, you can check this tutorial: http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/handbrake-libdvdcss.html Maybe you can get some help there.
Reference URL's