Forum

Full Version: Support for Edimax EW-7811UAC 11AC USB Adapter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I have a Edimax EW-7811UAC 11AC Dualband USB Adapter and which is working fine right out of the box with Openelec. But Xbian is not detecting the device. They have a guide for installation on Ubuntu but I am not sure that will work.

Does anyone has any suggestion?
(27th Sep, 2015 02:12 AM)omiazad Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
I have a Edimax EW-7811UAC 11AC Dualband USB Adapter and which is working fine right out of the box with Openelec. But Xbian is not detecting the device. They have a guide for installation on Ubuntu but I am not sure that will work.

rtl8812UA adapter was implemented into kernel support day or two ago.
Hi,

first of all, I hate to highjack this thread, but it seems, me being a Newbie, I am not allowed to open a new one in this forum. Also I already searched this forum and the web, if there is already a similar case I did not find, please let me know.

Due to this thread I am now replying to, I bought the Edimax EW-7811UAC and I have the following problem:
Software
XBian version: XBian 1.0 (knockout) (kernel: Linux 4.9.70+)
XBMC/Kodi version: Kodi 17.6 Git:2017-11-18-433b93a
Overclock settings: default

Hardware
Device type and model (e.g. Raspberry Pi Model A/B 256/512 MB, CuBox-i i4Pro, ...): Raspberry Pi 3
Power supply rating: Stontronics DSA-13PFC-05 FCA Output 2.5A, Raspberry Pi branded
SD card size and make/type: LG Micro SD Class 6 8GB
Network (Ethernet or wireless): both
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, ...):

Log files
Link to logfile(s): -

Problem description:
Wifi Dongle is connected over powered hub. In fact, it is automatically detected, if I plug it in and boot. I can also scan the Wifis in xbian-config and find mine. I can enter my key and i do not get any error message. But connection will not be established. I tried to reboot then, and afterwards, no network is working anymore. The Pi is also not connecting via LAN anymore.
Just found out, I can exit out of Kodi on my TV to be able to get to a terminal session. None of the interfaces eth0, wifi0 or wifi1 do get an IP anymore.
This network fuck up happens as soon as I try to connect to the wifi using the new dongle and rebooting. I replicated it a few times now. If I only plug the dongle in, but do not attempt to use ut, but only continue to use eth0, no harm is done when rebooting.
Any idea what is going wrong and how I can fix my network?
Also, if you need any log files, please let me know if i can retrieve them without having network connection :/
Thanks in advance.
@slimjim69

Please monitor file /etc/network/interfaces before and after configuring network. I suppose that this file is in an unusable state after network config. Posting that file after network config could help

And please look into kodi.log (/home/xbian/.kodi/temp/kodi.log) if there are any error messages
Hi @Nachteule,

thank you very much, got it working!

in /etc/network/interfaces there were some random 'dhcp' lines in the iface section of wlan1. So lines which only contained 'dhcp' and nothing more. I guess they were added by the xbian-config command line tool when I tried to establish a wifi connection. Maybe I have some time this evening to try and prove this.
As of your recommendations I read the ubuntuusers article on /etc/network/interfaces. I used ifup wlan1 and it gave me pretty clearly which lines were wrong. Commented them out and that was it.

Thanks again!
(6th Jan, 2018 10:08 PM)slimjim69 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi @Nachteule,

thank you very much, got it working!

in /etc/network/interfaces there were some random 'dhcp' lines in the iface section of wlan1. So lines which only contained 'dhcp' and nothing more. I guess they were added by the xbian-config command line tool when I tried to establish a wifi connection. Maybe I have some time this evening to try and prove this.
As of your recommendations I read the ubuntuusers article on /etc/network/interfaces. I used ifup wlan1 and it gave me pretty clearly which lines were wrong. Commented them out and that was it.

Thanks again!

Thus, my assumption has been confirmed. I'll see if I can reproduce this, did you use the xbian-config CLI (as you wrote) or the GUI version inside of Kodi?
Reference URL's