Forum

Full Version: Wifi only works if connected also by LAN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys! I have been reading the forum, different topics, but I couldn't find a problem like mine. Long story short:

- I bought a EDIMAN EW-7811UN USB wifi adapter.
- Connected to the RPI2 and configured by ssh (detect the WLAN and successfully connect to it)
- When I reboot the PI, it is not working. If a PING the IP address (fixed IP address) I don't get any response.
- I reboot several times, also tried to config it again with the same result (I can connect to the VLAN on the xbian-config but then it is not working).
- The only that I can make it to work is connecting the RPI2 by LAN and Wifi. This way the RPI2 has to IP addresses: LAN and wifi.

It's so weird, I don't know why is happening this. Any idea would be very much appreciated.
I've a feeling that your network settings are incorrect.

Check /etc/network/interfaces
(23rd Jan, 2016 04:55 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]I've a feeling that your network settings are incorrect.

Check /etc/network/interfaces

I have just checked the file, the only weird thing is that WLAN information seems duplicated, one of them with a wrong password. The file content is below:

auto lo
# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static

wpa-ssid VALHALA
wpa-psk ***********(the correct password)

address 192.168.1.43
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

iface default inet dhcp
allow-hotplug wlan1
iface wlan1 inet static

wpa-ssid VALHALA
wpa-psk ************(the wrong password)
address 192.168.1.42 (this is the static IP that I set in xbian-config)
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
I would delete all the info from "wpa-ssid VALHALA" and start again.

This time set up the network in ssh xbian-config, not from Kodi and see if that helps.
(24th Jan, 2016 01:07 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]I would delete all the info from "wpa-ssid VALHALA" and start again.

This time set up the network in ssh xbian-config, not from Kodi and see if that helps.

I have tried setting up the network by ssh with the same result. The only way that I have found to make it work through wifi is setting IP to DHCP.
Can you remember which image you used to install Xbian?

If so, I'll try and replicate the error.

Also it would help if you could post the output of dmesg via pastebin after a reboot as it might provide some information.

It might also be worth upgrading, and see if that solves the problem.
(25th Jan, 2016 05:33 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Can you remember which image you used to install Xbian?

If so, I'll try and replicate the error.

Also it would help if you could post the output of dmesg via pastebin after a reboot as it might provide some information.

It might also be worth upgrading, and see if that solves the problem.

I installed Xbian about 2 or 3 weeks ago and used the latest version for RPI2 that was selected by default in Xbian installer.
Well it wasn't 2016-01-16 as that failed to work - stuck on loading.
Tried 2016-01-10 - That image worked - or at least booted.
Image does crash if ethernet cable removed but the wifi worked as setup without ethernet.

Provide: Output of lsusb and dmesg (Via pastebin)
(26th Jan, 2016 10:30 PM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Well it wasn't 2016-01-16 as that failed to work - stuck on loading.
Tried 2016-01-10 - That image worked - or at least booted.
Image does crash if ethernet cable removed but the wifi worked as setup without ethernet.

Provide: Output of lsusb and dmesg (Via pastebin)

lsusb:
http://pastebin.com/avFe5rd9

dmesg:
http://pastebin.com/VBma2eEH
Reference URL's