Forum

Full Version: Problem with performance governor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I tried the testing XBMC RC3 & new firmware and everything seems to work until I tried some high bitrate + DTS movie. I just saw that overclocking is not working anymore.

I don't know if it's a problem with new firmware, I didn't try before upgrading firmware

My config.txt is :
Code:
arm_freq=900                                                                                                                                                                                  
core_freq=375                                                                                                                                                                                
disable_overscan=1                                                                                                                                                                            
gpu_mem_256=128                                                                                                                                                                              
gpu_mem_512=128                                                                                                                                                                              
sdram_freq=450                                                                                                                                                                                
over_voltage=0                                                                                                                                                                                

hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1                                                                                                                                                                        
initial_turbo=30

cpufreq detects my overclocking :
Code:
xbian@xbian:~# dmesg |grep cpufreq                                                                                                                                                            
[    1.190855] bcm2835-cpufreq: min=700000 max=900000 cur=900000

but the arm freq while watching movies is stuck @ 700 Mhz :
Code:
xbian@xbian:~# sudo cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq                                                                                                                

If i switch to ondemand governor, the arm goes @ 900 Mhz on load and the movie plays fluently.

Does anybody have the same problem ?

Thx.
Did you check:
Code:
sudo cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq
While running in performance mode?
Yes, it was 700 Mhz with performance governor
The there is cleary something wrong with your install. Did you run rpi-update?

Also, can you post a full dmesg on pastebin and post the link here?
Here is my full dmesg : http://pastebin.com/rMJgyAWw

Tonight I will try to revert to standard xbian config.txt just in case.
kernel seems fine...
Ok, solved, the guilty is the initial_turbo=30. Thx anyway for help.
You're welcome!
Hello,

it seems i have a similar problem.

My Pi is overlocked to 1 GHZ.

dmesg shows this

Code:
root@xbian:/home/xbian# dmesg |grep cpufreq
[    1.248761] bcm2835-cpufreq: min=700000 max=1000000 cur=700000
[    1.249058] bcm2835-cpufreq: switching to governor performancebcm2835-cpufreq: switching to governor performance

then cat cur freq

Code:
root@xbian:/home/xbian# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq

and cat cpuinfo shows this

Code:
root@xbian:/home/xbian# cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS        : 464.48
Features        : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xb76
CPU revision    : 7

Hardware        : BCM2708
Revision        : 000e
Serial          : 00000000257a9004

I have 3 different values, which one is the right? Smile

Every command was executed while running an 1080p movie.
The second

The other two only show the specs as stated by the manufacturer
ok, then everything should be fine.

Thank you.
Reference URL's