Forum

Full Version: Raspberry pi 3 released today....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Sorry, sorry, guys, I did not want to hijack the thread.

I am using three Pis for something over two years now,
but I am getting desperate to use/watch HEVC material,
as well. That is why I was interested in Fivefour's comment
or experience.

On the other hand I still need a Kodi based system/media
player. So, if there is none for the C2, then it does not help
me either.

What a pity, they did not gave the Pi 3 some more horse
or CPU power. That would have been my salvation, haha.
The C2 does run Kodi as I said, it's just limited to Android as the OS if you need Kodi now, it will be able to run Kodi from a linux desktop soon.

You can start a C2 thread if you have further questions and I will answer there.
(7th Mar, 2016 09:30 AM)syco Wrote: [ -> ]Still not enough CPU power
for h.256 movies?

What a pity.

Interestingly, I've been running Kodi on Win£oze 10 (Intel Atom Z3735F Processor 1.33GHz) and Kodi will not play HEVC. However, on the same machine VLC will play the same file. Why that is so, I do not know.
Maybe no HEVC support in ffmpeg. But this is really OT here Rolleyes
(1st Mar, 2016 03:42 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]It is not necessary. It has been done on x86 system for years (running 32bit software/os on 64bit cpu)

But my understanding is that you will get more speed if you'll run native 64bit software

Vast flame wars have been fought over this in Linux land.

For the average joe the benefit of code compiled for 64bit is the ability to address more RAM. That's all.

Folks running huge databases or vast maths models on full fledged computers get a benefit.

If your device has 2Gb or less RAM then 64bit code will make no discernible difference except to eat up more of your precious RAM & permanent storage (HDD/SD). You will see no performance increase. So don't sweat it Smile

A side effect of the Linux crowd following fashion & refusing to compile anything except 64bit means less & less software is available to those with modest 32bit capable hardware.

Eventually small project hardware must support 64bit regardless of need but for now it's fine as it is.
(16th Mar, 2016 11:47 PM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]
(7th Mar, 2016 09:30 AM)syco Wrote: [ -> ]Still not enough CPU power
for h.256 movies?

What a pity.

Interestingly, I've been running Kodi on Win£oze 10 (Intel Atom Z3735F Processor 1.33GHz) and Kodi will not play HEVC. However, on the same machine VLC will play the same file. Why that is so, I do not know.

Wtf? That is really weird ... and creepy. Big Grin
(16th Mar, 2016 11:47 PM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Interestingly, I've been running Kodi on Win£oze 10 (Intel Atom Z3735F Processor 1.33GHz) and Kodi will not play HEVC. However, on the same machine VLC will play the same file. Why that is so, I do not know.

Interesting, are using a Beelink P2 by any chance? I´ve replaced my Pi on the living room with one of those (2GiB RAM, Intel Z3735 SoC) and Kodi is able to decode H.265 files but with poor performance (under Win10).

Have not tried VLC... But the Intel GPU on this SoC does not have hardware decoding for HEVC :/
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's