Forum

Full Version: Pleased with Xbian
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Had issues with OE but never had any with Xbian, with my Pi2. My question is: what do I gain when I move the filesystem to USB stick or USB hard drive? I have seen suggestions that PI2 runs better when (semi) booting from USB. But what exactly runs better/faster? Are there any benchmarks to prove it? My SD cards are not very fast (5MB/s write and 15 read) and I have a fast USB stick that's why I ask. Would it impact network speed? Currently doing 9MB/s when wired uploading files to PI2 with 2TB usb attached. That is without overclocking and NTFS disk. Would like just a BIT more :-)

Thanks for any experiences shared!

Kind regards,

Bas Hamstra
(15th Mar, 2016 04:43 AM)Bahazzie Wrote: [ -> ]But what exactly runs better/faster?

nope, not faster. You may gain a better stability as SD cards are more common to fail
A faster USB drive might make a small difference, but only on disk I/O like updating the library. I've had the best results booting from a SSD in a caddy, but that is a little extreme.

As @rikardo1979 mentioned, stability is the main reason, also it's a good way to use a small 2G, slow SD (4) as the boot device and then use the USB for xbian.
Thank you both. I won't bother then... I had a corrupted SD card once, but since I stopped overclocking it never happened a second time.

Bas Hamstra
(16th Mar, 2016 06:10 AM)Bahazzie Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you both. I won't bother then... I had a corrupted SD card once, but since I stopped overclocking it never happened a second time.we become what we behold
Bas Hamstra

It seems that after being damaged you have learned valuable experience. Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Reference URL's