Forum

Full Version: Which program plays videos?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can not find out which program plays videos under xbian/kodi. Which program do I have to start if I want to play a video from the command line?

My idea is a video player which plays all videos which are stored on a memory stick. I want no playlist, no remote control, nothing. I only want to write a small Perl script which collects a list of all videos on the memory stick, creates a random order and plays all videos. Therefore I need a command line call for the video player.
(28th Mar, 2016 08:29 PM)Paul Lenz Wrote: [ -> ]I can not find out which program plays videos under xbian/kodi. Which program do I have to start if I want to play a video from the command line?

My idea is a video player which plays all videos which are stored on a memory stick. I want no playlist, no remote control, nothing. I only want to write a small Perl script which collects a list of all videos on the memory stick, creates a random order and plays all videos. Therefore I need a command line call for the video player.

in this case you do not need Kodi but bare OS like headless Raspbian.
By running Kodi you just wasting resources...
(28th Mar, 2016 08:59 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]in this case you do not need Kodi but bare OS like headless Raspbian.
I gave it a try and it works. There is omxplayer which does what I want. Thanks!!!
(28th Mar, 2016 11:35 PM)Paul Lenz Wrote: [ -> ]
(28th Mar, 2016 08:59 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]in this case you do not need Kodi but bare OS like headless Raspbian.
I gave it a try and it works. There is omxplayer which does what I want. Thanks!!!

same player is used in Kodi, but if you not going to use gui it is better you use lightweight OS Wink
There is a standalone omxplayer, I use it all the time. Just shutdown Kodi and use omxplayer, you must install it first of course.
Reference URL's