Forum

Full Version: XBian-backup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(26th Jul, 2016 03:45 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]
(26th Jul, 2016 03:02 AM)Peiote Wrote: [ -> ]Do you use snapshot? Advisable?

Sure, I do. It is always better to have snapshots than to have no snaps Big Grin

Quote:Transmission settings, resume, etc are in home backups?

If you're using xbian-package-transmission package, yes - everything is in /home. But if the files you're leeching and seeding are in /home also, it would be better to make separate subvolume under /home and exclude this volume from snapshotting. Means your sd-card does not running full by snapshots and your leeching and seeding files are not in /home backup (supposing it does not make sense to backup them)

Sorry, what are snapshots then? The difference with home and card images?

I download with transmission to an external hdd. I use the add-on of Xbian, works great.
(26th Jul, 2016 06:31 AM)Peiote Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, what are snapshots then? The difference with home and card images?

See here

In our case, snapshots are very useful to restore a deconfigured system very fast and easy or copy older config files from snapshots into running system (this I'm doing very often Tongue)

But again, snapshots are not backups, because if medium is broken or file system is corrupt, all has been gone.

Quote:I download with transmission to an external hdd. I use the add-on of Xbian, works great.

Makes sense Smile
(26th Jul, 2016 07:52 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]
(26th Jul, 2016 06:31 AM)Peiote Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, what are snapshots then? The difference with home and card images?

See here

In our case, snapshots are very useful to restore a deconfigured system very fast and easy or copy older config files from snapshots into running system (this I'm doing very often Tongue)

But again, snapshots are not backups, because if medium is broken or file system is corrupt, all has been gone.

Quote:I download with transmission to an external hdd. I use the add-on of Xbian, works great.

Makes sense Smile
Understood (link broken, but I get it). Thanks.

Q: at what time are backups done? These days I am not turning off Kodi (I usually stop just Kodi so transmission keeps working) to get the backups done, but it seems it is not working.

Automatic backup is running by (ana)cron job, NOT by Kodi. Usually those daily/weekly/monthly jobs are running in the morning

see file /etc/anacrontab (anacron should be installed per default) and /etc/cron.d/anacron.
(27th Jul, 2016 05:20 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Automatic backup is running by (ana)cron job, NOT by Kodi. Usually those daily/weekly/monthly jobs are running in the morning

see file /etc/anacrontab (anacron should be installed per default) and /etc/cron.d/anacron.
Thanks.
Now it seems to be... WORKING Big Grin

Best regards
AFter a year of having this great function working I noticed that the server the backups go to was getting full.

A little investigation shows that although the 4 rpi backup directories had only 7 system backups in each, the recycle bin had 2.5TB of backups. Confused Of course I deleted them all and got a lot of space back. Smile

For some reason it had not occured to me that the 'old' backups were not fully deleted and ended up in the RB. Time for a cron job to clean the RB monthly I think!

Just thought that someone might find this useful.
(10th Jun, 2017 07:27 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]For some reason it had not occured to me that the 'old' backups were not fully deleted and ended up in the RB. Time for a cron job to clean the RB monthly I think!

Just thought that someone might find this useful.

What kind of server do you have. I'm running Debian 8 server and RPi's mounting backup share via NFS, RPI2 and iMX6 using samba share, but not having recycle bin configured for this share. Does'n t make sense for me
(4th Jun, 2016 03:30 AM)IriDium Wrote: [ -> ]Currently the xbian-backup "/home to file"can only be run manually and then copied/FTP to alternative storage. The image is lost on a reboot and thus lost if you forget to copy it.

I think it would be helpful, like XBian image and snapshots, to have the ability to schedule automatic backups with an option to keep X number and also where it is stored.

This would allow users to have a "online" home backup which can be easily restored using the current restore function.

Another "idea" would be to have the xbian-backup mounted on a NTFS or ext4 partition, so that the partition could be read by most PC's which can't read BTRFS. Yes this bit would require a lot of work, so probably won't happen.

Just an idea but I think most people would appreciate it - especially if it runs in the background.

I agree that snapshots should give the same approach but this is only for the home directory and not system wide.

Very good idea!
Is there a way to check the contents of the xbian backups?

I have amended my /etc/default/xbian-snap to exclude the directory containing my media with "EXCLUDESUB=/media" and I can see that snapshots are being run correctly however I just wanted to check that they were still running correctly and to see what folders/files were in the backups?
(4th Mar, 2019 08:34 PM)vifu Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way to check the contents of the xbian backups?

You can mount the image and check if everything is ok in the image
For example, if you want to check image file /mnt/kmxbibr/kmxbibr_xbian_image_2019-02-19.img,

run commands to inspect backup image (Click to View)

Quote:I have amended my /etc/default/xbian-snap to exclude the directory containing my media with "EXCLUDESUB=/media" and I can see that snapshots are being run correctly however I just wanted to check that they were still running correctly and to see what folders/files were in the backups?

You never can exclude folders, you just can exclude subvolumes only for snapshots, not for image backup. Does not make sense to make an image backup without all existing subvolumes
(4th Mar, 2019 11:01 PM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]
(4th Mar, 2019 08:34 PM)vifu Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way to check the contents of the xbian backups?

You can mount the image and check if everything is ok in the image
For example, if you want to check image file /mnt/kmxbibr/kmxbibr_xbian_image_2019-02-19.img,

run commands to inspect backup image (Click to View)

Quote:I have amended my /etc/default/xbian-snap to exclude the directory containing my media with "EXCLUDESUB=/media" and I can see that snapshots are being run correctly however I just wanted to check that they were still running correctly and to see what folders/files were in the backups?

You never can exclude folders, you just can exclude subvolumes only for snapshots, not for image backup. Does not make sense to make an image backup without all existing subvolumes

Okay, I think I'm getting mixed up between backups and snapshots. I have now changed my xbian-snap file back to the default.

Should my xbian be automatically creating backups into the /xbmc-backup folder on a regular basis? There was nothing in there until I ran the backup from xbian-config GUI.

My concern was that out of a 64GB SD card 90% of it was in /media that didn't need backing up. But I guess I don't need to worry about any backup / snapshot procedure taking up a lot of space on the SD as that's not how it works.
(5th Mar, 2019 12:48 AM)vifu Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, I think I'm getting mixed up between backups and snapshots. I have now changed my xbian-snap file back to the default.

Should my xbian be automatically creating backups into the /xbmc-backup folder on a regular basis? There was nothing in there until I ran the backup from xbian-config GUI.

No, default is making no backup (neither /home nor image)
/xbian-backup is default folder for running /home backups. Making image backups to /xbian-backup does not make sense
This folder is flushed on each (re)boot

Quote:My concern was that out of a 64GB SD card 90% of it was in /media that didn't need backing up. But I guess I don't need to worry about any backup / snapshot procedure taking up a lot of space on the SD as that's not how it works.

Do you have/mount external disk, bc /media is usually empty
(5th Mar, 2019 12:57 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]
(5th Mar, 2019 12:48 AM)vifu Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, I think I'm getting mixed up between backups and snapshots. I have now changed my xbian-snap file back to the default.

No, default is making no backup (neither /home nor image)
/xbian-backup is default folder for running /home backups. Making image backups to /xbian-backup does not make sense
This folder is flushed on each (re)boot

Quote:My concern was that out of a 64GB SD card 90% of it was in /media that didn't need backing up. But I guess I don't need to worry about any backup / snapshot procedure taking up a lot of space on the SD as that's not how it works.

Do you have/mount external disk, bc /media is usually empty

OK thanks. Think I misunderstood what was happening. Yes /media is just where I keep my all my media (within subfolders of /media) so it contains the vast majority of space on the drive.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's