Forum

Full Version: Network interfaces
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last week I built a box with xbian-latest for a RPi 3. Configured it with all the skins, addons, NFS mount points for my environment. I dd'd (copied) the sdhc card & made 2 copies. The copies in Kodi System->xbian config show the network interfaces as eth1 & wlan1. Neither will come 'up' on reboot, I have to go thru the ssid & enter the passphrase to get the wlan1 to come up. I realize that the MAC addresses from the orig RPi3 are probably being reserved for eth0 & wlan0 in a network config file somewhere, and that the eth0 & wlan0 interfaces are probably the only interfaces that are by default to come up on boot.

How can I either...
1. Change eth0 & wlan0 do be down by default & eth1 & wlan1 to be up by default?
2. Update the MAC addresses info for eth0 & wlan0 to be the new RPi's so it'll work like I did a fresh install?

--Andrew
(10th Aug, 2016 03:24 AM)meadrocks Wrote: [ -> ]2. Update the MAC addresses info for eth0 & wlan0 to be the new RPi's so it'll work like I did a fresh install?

--Andrew

File /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules is your friend
(10th Aug, 2016 07:41 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]
(10th Aug, 2016 03:24 AM)meadrocks Wrote: [ -> ]2. Update the MAC addresses info for eth0 & wlan0 to be the new RPi's so it'll work like I did a fresh install?

--Andrew

Perfect, just like a Fedora / Red Hat / CentOS box. I've been supporting FreeBSD @ my work for 2.5 years, my Linux is getting a little rusty. I'll try it tonight. Thanks.

Next question...
If the ethernet port sees a carrier will it automatically try & get a DHCP IP address?
(10th Aug, 2016 07:55 AM)meadrocks Wrote: [ -> ]Next question...
If the ethernet port sees a carrier will it automatically try & get a DHCP IP address?

I should, yes. Usually I'm using WLAN only here with static addresses, but when I test a fresh image and forget to plug in network cable before booting, system will get ip address after plugging cable in Smile
(10th Aug, 2016 07:41 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]

--Andrew

That did it, I also cleaned up /etc/network/interfaces a little too.
Reference URL's