Forum

Full Version: Gigabit Lan adapter (USB3) doesn't work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

for better networkspeed i use a gigabit lan adapter (USB3) on my RPI2 (transfer speed about 18 mb/s).
With Raspbian or OSMC the adapter works direktly after plugin, but i have problems with xbian.
After plugin i can change the ethernet port in the xbian settings from eth0 to eth1, but the status of eth1 is alwasy down and i cant exess to my network wjth the adapter Undecided
Does anyone know a solution for the problem?

Greetings,
try to login over SSH or if you have USB keyboard just exit Kodi from within power menu

Than once you in the terminal, just do

Code:
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

when prompted for password type raspberry , default password

Than look for following lines which has 0 as default
Code:
auto eth0 lo
iface eth0 inet dhcp

and change it to
Code:
auto eth2 lo
iface eth2 inet dhcp

Im not sure Blush why it use 2 instead of 1 (or any other number?) but this works for me Smile
(maybe our clever developers can answer this? Big Grin)

Once you edit the lines, press Ctr+X to exit. When prompted type Y and enter, which save the file

Now just type
Code:
sudo reboot
hit enter. After reboot your USB LAN adaptor should work and you should be connected to network

Please let us know if this helps
@Harald654

I do not have an GBit USB adapter, having only an 100MBit one

Before I test it, I have one question:

Is the onboard Ethernet configured and is this link up?
@'rikardo1979
(20th Aug, 2016 06:06 PM) Wrote: [ -> ]Im not sure Blush why it use 2 instead of 1 (or any other number?) but this works for me Smile

Please have a look into the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Probably your external adapter is listed as eth2
(20th Aug, 2016 09:03 PM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]@'rikardo1979
(20th Aug, 2016 06:06 PM) Wrote: [ -> ]Im not sure Blush why it use 2 instead of 1 (or any other number?) but this works for me Smile

Please have a look into the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Probably your external adapter is listed as eth2

thx for reply here m8 Wink

I have checked and yes, it is as eth2 where eth1 is something else, which I have no idea what that might be as I have nothing else connected to RPi apart from power cable Smile

Code:
# USB device 0x:0x (smsc95xx)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="b8:27:eb:97:ee:92", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

# Unknown net device (/devices/platform/soc/3f300000.mmc/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:0001/mmc1:0001:1/net/wlan0) (brcmfmac_sdio)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="b8:27:eb:c2:bb:c7", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="wlan*", NAME="wlan0"

# USB device 0x:0x (smsc95xx)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="b8:27:eb:92:ea:43", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"

# Unknown net device (/devices/platform/soc/3f300000.mmc/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:0001/mmc1:0001:1/net/wlan0) (brcmfmac_sdio)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="b8:27:eb:c7:bf:16", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="wlan*", NAME="wlan1"

# USB device 0x:0x (ax88179_178a)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="80:1f:02:75:d8:dd", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth2"

But the question is why is it not working automatically?
I mean you plug your USB LAN adaptor and than you head over to XBian config from within the Kodi menu
It gives you the option under System/Network to switch between eth0, eth1, eth2...
Than when I have tried select eth2 which was showing status "DOWN" and when I have tried exit the menu there was only an error message at the bottom

Yeah, I am sorry but I did not have an debuging on so I could not checked the logs Rolleyes

Question is, why it does not work as on other systems, just plug and play? I mean is easy to manually edit these files and make it working, if even I could do it Big Grin But it would be nice if it just works Wink
Hey, what happened here? HuhHuhHuh

My last posts were gone in this thread Angry
(20th Aug, 2016 11:48 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]Question is, why it does not work as on other systems, just plug and play? I mean is easy to manually edit these files and make it working, if even I could do it Big Grin But it would be nice if it just works Wink

Fixed this. Now all new network devices not already configured in /etc/network/interfaces are added by udev rule and helper script

New package xbian-update (in staging repo) does this part
(21st Aug, 2016 11:08 PM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, what happened here? HuhHuhHuh

My last posts were gone in this thread Angry

not sure? I have not seen any replies other than those which are still hereHuh

(21st Aug, 2016 11:11 PM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]
(20th Aug, 2016 11:48 PM)rikardo1979 Wrote: [ -> ]Question is, why it does not work as on other systems, just plug and play? I mean is easy to manually edit these files and make it working, if even I could do it Big Grin But it would be nice if it just works Wink

Fixed this. Now all new network devices not already configured in /etc/network/interfaces are added by udev rule and helper script

New package xbian-update (in staging repo) does this part

nice one Wink that was quick Smile
thx
I was replying your last post and was adding new post what i'm doing to solve this issue
sorry for my late answer!

Quote:Is the onboard Ethernet configured and is this link up?
yes

for testing i use now a fresh installation of Xbian (with noobs), now eth1 (GBit USB adapter) are showing as up in the XBian setting.
but when I select eth1 nothing changes, and when i re-open the settings eth0 ist still set als network (for testing i habe both, eth0 and eth1 permanently connected by Lan).
The Kodi log says:
Code:
14:20:42 1011.348145 T:1744548784  NOTICE: XBian : XBian-config started
14:20:58 1027.020996 T:1953837056   ERROR: Keymapping error: no such action '-' defined
14:21:06 1034.480225 T:1744548784  NOTICE: XBian : XBian-config-python closed
14:21:06 1034.818726 T:1744548784 WARNING: CPythonInvoker(4, /usr/local/share/kodi/addons/plugin.xbianconfig/default.py): the python script "/usr/local/share/kodi/addons/plugin.xbianconfig/default.py" has left several classes in memory that we couldn't clean up. The classes include: N9XBMCAddon9xbmcaddon5AddonE,N14PythonBindings36XBMCAddon_xbmcgui_WindowXML_Dire​ctorE,N9XBMCAddon7xbmcgui6DialogE

If i change in the network settings the typ from THCP to statisitc (whether eth0 or eth1) i get an error massage.
Kodi log:
Code:
14:23:15 1164.310913 T:1744548784  NOTICE: XBian : XBian-config started
14:23:22 1171.309937 T:1953837056   ERROR: Keymapping error: no such action '-' defined
14:23:35 1183.695801 T:1744548784  NOTICE: XBian : XBian-config-python closed
14:23:35 1184.097046 T:1744548784 WARNING: CPythonInvoker(6, /usr/local/share/kodi/addons/plugin.xbianconfig/default.py): the python script "/usr/local/share/kodi/addons/plugin.xbianconfig/default.py" has left several classes in memory that we couldn't clean up. The classes include: N14PythonBindings36XBMCAddon_xbmcgui_WindowXML_DirectorE,N9XBMCAddon7xbmcgui6Dia​logE,N9XBMCAddon9xbmcaddon5AddonE

Greeting,
H.
You can ignore those warnings, but
there are still issues in XBian-config:

Network is not restarted after change of settings (code is there but is not executed), only settings in /etc/network/interfaces are written.
Seems that this confuses XBian-config completely

Have to investigate this issue next days. For the moment it is easier to modify settings directly in file /etc/network/interfaces and reboot Pi after changes has been done.
@Harald654
(18th Sep, 2016 06:23 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]You can ignore those warnings, but
there are still issues in XBian-config:

Network is not restarted after change of settings (code is there but is not executed), only settings in /etc/network/interfaces are written.
Seems that this confuses XBian-config completely

Have to investigate this issue next days. For the moment it is easier to modify settings directly in file /etc/network/interfaces and reboot Pi after changes has been done.

Fixed this, should work now. Package xbian-package-config-shell and xbian-package-config.xbmc have to be updated.

FYI, do not set gateway IP on both network devices (this is not allowed). To omit gateway parameter, set this parameter to 0.0.0.0
hello Nachteile,

thank you for the fix. Smile
(great work, now it runs!)

But unfortunately, i still have another request wich is also the reason why i wanted to use an external Gbit-Lan adapter at all.

I use my RPi2 also as a network drive to access music/movies and save backups (via SMB). Since the Rpi2 with 100Mbit-Lan and USB2 speed is very limited, for me therefore counts every bit/s.
With Raspbian and other distributions i always get a network speed of about 11-12MB/s (over SMB), with xbian however only 8-9MB/s.
Because as i said for me every bit/s counts, i wanted to switch to a Gbit-lan adapter. Since everything runs over a single USB controller, i expected no huge speedup, but with Raspbian i reach a speed of 16 MB / s over SMB with the Adapter. With Xbian unfortunately i get only significantly lower speed of 11-12MB/s.

My question is now, does you (or someone else) knows what the lower speeds with Xbian lie and is there a possibility to increase the network speed? (At least the same speed as with Raspbian should be possible i think?)

Grettings,
H.
This is OT in this thread.

Please open new thread and give us a bit more information about your system environment

Thank you
Reference URL's