Forum

Full Version: Audio stutters with live streams
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm running xbian on my Pi and for a few of months now I've been having this issue with audio stuttering when I play live streams. The stutters consist of a fraction of a second gaps in audio every ~5 seconds. So it's not terrible but it's a bit annoying. It only happens with live streams (e.g. ccloud, sportsdevil); when I play vod streams (e.g. 1channel) the problem does not happen.
Just wondering if anyone out there has encountered a similar problem and knows how to fix it.
Thanks!
Do you use Audio passtrough? Maybe this is issue (Kodi has issues using PT on live streams so it is disabled in upcoming next Kodi version 17 - Krypton)
(16th Oct, 2016 02:42 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Do you use Audio passtrough? Maybe this is issue (Kodi has issues using PT on live streams so it is disabled in upcoming next Kodi version 17 - Krypton)

I don't know what PT is, so if I have it enabled it's not on purpose! How do I check if it's enabled?
System->Settings->System->Audio output->Enable passthrough
It was enabled, but disabling it didn't help Sad
Hmmm, was just a thougt. So unfortunately having no other ideas Sad
Info about your set up would help here.

What audio output or device are you using? I would guess a usb sound card or dac. If that is the case the pi has a well known weakness where the network and usb data are both controlled by the same chip and this bottleneck could be the problem if it plays OK from local SD card but not via network.

Otherwise it could be something else on the pi using the CPU for something every 5 seconds? What else is set up and running?

Also it might be something else on another device that is checking or posting to the network every 5 seconds sucking up all the bandwidth.

Power supply could be a problem too. Maybe the voltage is dropping? If you have a voltmeter measure the 5V and 3.3V points to see if there is a stable voltage there. Any changes *may* be too quick to see on a simple meter, but it is worth a look.

The first problem can be cured by removing the usb audio device and adding an I2S dac instead (they start at about £6 on ebay). The other three you will need to look into yourself as we can't see what is going on!
Thanks for the reply Skywatch!
I've got the pi connected ditectly to my tv via hdmi.
I will have a look to see what could be polling the CPU. But if this was an issue, wouldn't both video and audio stutter? (I just realized that I forgot to mention in my first post that it's only the audio that stutters, while the video keeps playing fine).
I haven't tried a different power supply, which is a good idea. I have had power problems before and have been using this one for a while now, so maybe it's time for a change.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
so are those streams playing fine on other devices? Like on Kodi running on PC or some other platform?
Just to be sure its not the stream itself
Sounds almost like a buffering issue to me, my Pi has done this when the buffer is on the edge of being depleted.
(19th Oct, 2016 03:28 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds almost like a buffering issue to me, my Pi has done this when the buffer is on the edge of being depleted.

But this no explanation for video is playing smoothly

Maybe it could help increasing buffer http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO%3AModify_the_video_cache
It is indeed an odd problem.

I guess you could try another HDMI cable just to rule that out. What about trying a different input on the TV (I assume it has more than one).

Do you have other devices on other HDMI inputs? Maybe disconnect them and see if it helps?

Clutching at straws on this one Sad
(19th Oct, 2016 06:31 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]I guess you could try another HDMI

I don't think this would be the issue since the vod streams work fine.
I really appreciate all your thoughts on trying to solve this. But I've actually just got a new android device to replace my old pi, so I've lost a bit of the motivation to keep trying at this issue.
Thanks again.
If you do ever find the issue it would be good to know as I won't sleep now! Wink

At least with the pi you can re-use it to do something else, that is why they are so great!

Good you have things working now though! Smile
(19th Oct, 2016 05:28 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]If you do ever find the issue it would be good to know as I won't sleep now! Wink

At least with the pi you can re-use it to do something else, that is why they are so great!

Good you have things working now though! Smile
Indeed, tvheadend backend, DLNA file server, etc..etc.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's