Forum

Full Version: Running xbian froma hard drive (Root on harddrive)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good day all,

I have been an Kodi user for a few years now. I have used another flavor but decided to give Xbain a try as I have heard good things.

I have been trying to get Xbian running with a hard drive as root but haven't had any luck. Yes, I have heard the discussions about SD being as reliable, and fast but for my situation I feel the hard drive is the best plan.

I have run the back up tool by logging it with ssh and have cloned the complete system. If I mount it I see the directories created by the clone program in Xbian. I am not that familiar with BTRFS and have followed the directions given at the end of the cloning, And the instructions on line (running Xbian on a thimb drive.) One states to mount the root file system as BTRFS, on states to mount it as /dev/sda1.

Can some one give me a run down on doing this, or a recent web post that explains setting this up... My end goal is to set up a central "server" and feed Kodi to "dumb" video boxes. All files, viewing stats follow user. I can't move on until I figure this out.

Best wishes
If you really just want the stats to follow the user then you only need to set up the Xbians' to all look at a central database.

I run the mysql database on one pi (with Xbian installed andn running) and all the other Xbian pis' look to it for media lists, info etc. You can even stop watching a film in say the lounge and contimue watching from where you left off in the bedroom.....Nice feature.

Just search here and the kodi forum for sql database and follow the instructions.
To use external hard disk as root, you can install a fresh downloaded XBian image to your hard disk and then edit
/boot/cmdline.txt on your sd-card:

Change root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 to root=/dev/sda2
Thanks for the information.
(20th Apr, 2019 05:09 PM)alice909 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the information.

I ran into some minor errors while installing it. Does anyone help me?
Elastic man
Reference URL's