Forum

Full Version: No space left on device (but there actually is)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Software
XBian version: XBian 1.0 (knockout), kernel: Linux ARM 32-bit version 4.4.7+
XBMC/Kodi version: 16.1-RC2
Overclock settings: default

Hi!

I started to see some unreliable behavior when running "sudo apt-get update". Different error every time, like:
  1. Bus error
  2. Reading package list taking for ever
  3. E: Method gave invalid 103 Redirect message

At some point the update seemed to work, and I tried "sudo apt-get upgrade" and after that the SD card is constantly listed as full, even though there's supposed to be plenty of space.

I can ssh without problem, but not much else works (like restoring snapshot). df gives me this conflicting information:

Terminal
xbian@xbian ~ $ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p2 15G 3.9G 0 100% /
none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
devtmpfs 363M 4.0K 363M 1% /dev
/dev/mmcblk0p2 15G 3.9G 0 100% /home
/dev/mmcblk0p2 15G 3.9G 0 100% /lib/modules
none 74M 300K 74M 1% /run
/dev/mmcblk0p1 68M 25M 44M 36% /boot

The thing is that I've experienced temporary pseudo-disk-fill-up before with Xbian, and I always assumed it to be due to brtfs being experimental. But as far as I understand it's supposed to be quite stable by now.

Prio nr 1 for me would be to restore Xbian, if that possible.[/code] Some understanding of why this is happening would however also be great!

Would anyone be able to help?

Thanks in advance!
It's impossible to say what's going wrong.

Yes, BTRFS is quite stable and I ran more than on time in disk full state (usually having too many snapshots)

Maybe you have got a hardware fault
I hate to point out the obvious here, but have you tried another memory card and power supply and swapped out cables?

Sometimes the simple things get overlooked! - At least with me Shy
... or making weekly image backups Exclamation

A restore is faster than writing new post Tongue

Just did it last weekend. After installing new test kernel (4.8.whatever) root partition was completely gone away (no BTRFS, no superblock -- nothing)
I'm already successfully running another memory card with a fresh Xbian install, so most likely nothing with cables nor power supply. Could of course be the memory card.

In any case, let's forget the old, and look ahead!

@Nachteule: could you share what your preferred way to make weekly backups is?

Can I simply replace the home directory on the new install with my old, to save time setting up kodi and xbian? Or is that a bad idea? (reading from the old memory card still works fine)

Grateful for any tip!
(31st Oct, 2016 02:10 AM)ulfwin Wrote: [ -> ]@Nachteule: could you share what your preferred way to make weekly backups is?

All you need is XBian-config GUI.

Look into the backup category. You can make 2 kinds of backups (daily, weekly or monthly):
1) backup of your /home directory
2) complete backup of your sd-card

Quote:Can I simply replace the home directory on the new install with my old, to save time setting up kodi and xbian? Or is that a bad idea? (reading from the old memory card still works fine)

Sure, you can Smile
(31st Oct, 2016 03:17 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]
(31st Oct, 2016 02:10 AM)ulfwin Wrote: [ -> ]@Nachteule: could you share what your preferred way to make weekly backups is?

All you need is XBian-config GUI.

Look into the backup category. You can make 2 kinds of backups (daily, weekly or monthly):
1) backup of your /home directory
2) complete backup of your sd-card

Quote:Can I simply replace the home directory on the new install with my old, to save time setting up kodi and xbian? Or is that a bad idea? (reading from the old memory card still works fine)

Sure, you can Smile

Replacing the home directory seems to have worked great!

In the xbian-config gui however, I only seem to be able to make a backup on the spot, not schedule a regular backup (I checked both through kodi and the command line). Is that not the case for you?
Oh sorry, I forgot. This is advanced function, you have to enable Advanced Mode in XBian-Config Category Preferences
Got it! It's now setup so a backup image is stored on the USB hard drive I've connected, once per week.

Thanks for the help!
Reference URL's