Forum

Full Version: Timeshifting configuration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good morning,

The TV is working fine with Tvheadend, except if i want to use the timeshifting feature. I can pause the program, resume it, but after some time the image will freeze, not the sound. I do then have to press the stop key.

The directory I use for timeshiting is currently /home/xbian

I do suspect that the microsd card of my raspberry has not the performance required.

I don't want to connect an external HD to the PI (i'd like to keep things clean and tidy under my tv)

Do you have some advices on how to configure a network share on my nas, in order to get the best performance (nfs, smb, parameters, etc...)? My pi is connected to the network with an ethernet cable, same thing for the nas.

Thank you very much.
(6th Dec, 2016 08:05 PM)Chiron Wrote: [ -> ]Good morning,

The TV is working fine with Tvheadend, except if i want to use the timeshifting feature. I can pause the program, resume it, but after some time the image will freeze, not the sound. I do then have to press the stop key.

The directory I use for timeshiting is currently /home/xbian

I do suspect that the microsd card of my raspberry has not the performance required.

I don't want to connect an external HD to the PI (i'd like to keep things clean and tidy under my tv)

Do you have some advices on how to configure a network share on my nas, in order to get the best performance (nfs, smb, parameters, etc...)? My pi is connected to the network with an ethernet cable, same thing for the nas.

Thank you very much.

please start readinb on http://wiki.xbian.org/
(6th Dec, 2016 08:05 PM)Chiron Wrote: [ -> ]Good morning,

I do not have good news for you:
In my experience you can forget using the timeshift feature of TVheadend. This is still completely crappy and will IMO never work without completely rewriting it. I spent many hours to get it work but it was and is NEVER stable. Absolutely unreliable. I gave up and returned to vdr for live stream, timeshift is working perfectly there. TVheadend is only usable for recordings here.

Quote:The directory I use for timeshiting is currently /home/xbian

You took right word for this feature unter TVheadend Tongue

Quote:I do suspect that the microsd card of my raspberry has not the performance required.

No!
You can configure timeshift buffer completely in ram, but believe me, it does not make any difference. I won't work

Quote:Do you have some advices on how to configure a network share on my nas, in order to get the best performance (nfs, smb, parameters, etc...)? My pi is connected to the network with an ethernet cable, same thing for the nas.

I don't believe that throughput of the network is good enough for putting timeshift buffer on a network share. SD channels may work, HD probably not. I played a short time with this configuration (had not spare usb disk available) but was not successful (tried it with a WLAN connection, wired connection may work better)
Thanks a lot. Smile

I've noticed more stability after I changed yesterday the max size of the storage allowed. With a max size of 24000MB (I use a 32Gb sdcard), I haven't had any lags anymore, so far.

If it works like this, good! If not, well, I can live without it, until somebody fixes tvheadend.
Well, believe me or not, but since the recent major kodi upgrade, the timeshift feature of tvheadend is working flawlessly.
I've been using it since one week, and it has not been stuck, not even one time.
(7th Feb, 2017 08:03 AM)Chiron Wrote: [ -> ]Well, believe me or not, but since the recent major kodi upgrade, the timeshift feature of tvheadend is working flawlessly.
I've been using it since one week, and it has not been stuck, not even one time.

I believe you Smile

Made exactly same experience, so never thought that culprit was pvr.hts addon and not TVheadend server itself. Only small issue recognized, timeshift bar is sometimes there and sometimes not Dodgy
I see since the recent major kodi upgrade, the timeshift feature of tvheadend is working flawlessly.
[* Link removed *]
Reference URL's