Forum

Full Version: So a few question about the new Kernel and Kodi 17.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So i've installed the new kernel and i found myself with some questions:

Did you guys changed the CPU governor to Ondemand? Previously i had it to "performance" and after the update i had to change it back to performance since even with Kodi running a video file the clock rate would oscillate from 700Mhz to 1Ghz (my OC setting) constantly (according to xbian-stats)...

A couple off annoying things happened just after i've rebooted the unit, after the kernel update. My USB WNIC (TP-LINK TL-WN822N) no longer blinks the status LED... it's now a solid ON state, plus i'm unable to connect it to any AP using the N standard anymore :/ ... Did you change anything on the drivers ? Because this happened immediately after the update. Never had any other issues before and i changed nothing on my WLAN and router/etc...
Here is a paste of DMESG ( Dmesg paste )

So far Kodi 17.0 works great, but there a feature that is different (at least for me) and i would like to know what you guys think of it:
I use the "play from here" option (to play all the files in sequence inside a directory) a lot and in the previous versions of Kodi the transition from the EOF to the next file was immediate... now it takes about 20 to 30 seconds between files and i cant find out why Sad . Any ideas on how to fix this or if it's fixable or a new thing?

Thanks to all in advance Smile

Is the option to edit posts disable? Can't find it..

So i forgot to say its a Pi 1B (512MiB of RAM) OC @ 1000/500/500 .

Thanks
(17th Mar, 2017 04:01 AM)Exnor Wrote: [ -> ]So i've installed the new kernel and i found myself with some questions:

Did you guys changed the CPU governor to Ondemand? Previously i had it to "performance" and after the update i had to change it back to performance since even with Kodi running a video file the clock rate would oscillate from 700Mhz to 1Ghz (my OC setting) constantly (according to xbian-stats)...

Yes, default governor was changed from Performance to OnDemand on the way between 4.4 to 4.9
You can set it to whatever you want in file /etc/default/xbian-module-init-tools

Quote:A couple off annoying things happened just after i've rebooted the unit, after the kernel update. My USB WNIC (TP-LINK TL-WN822N) no longer blinks the status LED... it's now a solid ON state, plus i'm unable to connect it to any AP using the N standard anymore :/ ... Did you change anything on the drivers ? Because this happened immediately after the update. Never had any other issues before and i changed nothing on my WLAN and router/etc...
Here is a paste of DMESG ( Dmesg paste )

Seems your TL-WN822N has rtl8192cu chipset (mine has Atheros AR7010+AR9287). This device is using now rtl8192c driver instead of legacy 8192cu. Unfortunately the mainstream driver still does not work very well. To return to 8192cu driver, you have to blacklist rtl8192cu, for example by adding the blacklist line to file /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf:

Code:
options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0 rtw_led_enable=0
blacklist rtl8192cu

Quote:So far Kodi 17.0 works great, but there a feature that is different (at least for me) and i would like to know what you guys think of it:
I use the "play from here" option (to play all the files in sequence inside a directory) a lot and in the previous versions of Kodi the transition from the EOF to the next file was immediate... now it takes about 20 to 30 seconds between files and i cant find out why Sad . Any ideas on how to fix this or if it's fixable or a new thing?

Absolutely no idea, never using this. Probably better place to ask is kodi forum.

Btw, did yo already had a look into kodi's log?

Quote:Is the option to edit posts disable? Can't find it..

No
(17th Mar, 2017 06:36 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]
(17th Mar, 2017 04:01 AM)Exnor Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, default governor was changed from Performance to OnDemand on the way between 4.4 to 4.9
You can set it to whatever you want in file /etc/default/xbian-module-init-tools

Quote:

Seems your TL-WN822N has rtl8192cu chipset (mine has Atheros AR7010+AR9287). This device is using now rtl8192c driver instead of legacy 8192cu. Unfortunately the mainstream driver still does not work very well. To return to 8192cu driver, you have to blacklist rtl8192cu, for example by adding the blacklist line to file /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf:

Code:
options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0 rtw_led_enable=0
blacklist rtl8192cu

Quote:

Absolutely no idea, never using this. Probably better place to ask is kodi forum.

Btw, did yo already had a look into kodi's log?

Quote:Is the option to edit posts disable? Can't find it..

No

Thanks for the fast reply Smile

The CPU governor was just out of curiosity because i had to change it and was wondering if it was a bug or your new policy... Any reason in particular to change it to OnDemand in this new Kernel version? Is there any benefit in terms of performance? Or any disadvantage for not using this mode?

As for the rtl8192cu chipset i've applied the changes you suggested and it appears that it fixed the problem Big Grin . Back to using N standard Smile

On the Kodi "play from here" option... well i cant find anything on Kodi official forums so i guess i have to create an account there if i cant find anything on Kodi.log (did not had the time to check it back at home).

Forum related, i cant find the option to edit posts :/

Thank you for the help Smile
(18th Mar, 2017 01:16 AM)Exnor Wrote: [ -> ]The CPU governor was just out of curiosity because i had to change it and was wondering if it was a bug or your new policy... Any reason in particular to change it to OnDemand in this new Kernel version? Is there any benefit in terms of performance? Or any disadvantage for not using this mode?

Seems I was wrong, can't say why OnDemand was used as default governor. Anyway, with kernel built today (4.9.16) Performance is back as default governor Smile

Advantage for OnDemand is, cpu is not running at fullspeed all the time. Usually I'm using OnDemand, because there is no need for running full speed when system is idle (this is usually the most time) Shy
(19th Mar, 2017 08:49 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Seems I was wrong, can't say why OnDemand was used as default governor. Anyway, with kernel built today (4.9.16) Performance is back as default governor Smile

Advantage for OnDemand is, cpu is not running at fullspeed all the time. Usually I'm using OnDemand, because there is no need for running full speed when system is idle (this is usually the most time) Shy

Just installed the new kernel.. so far so good Smile

Only "bug" is still the Kodi "play from here" thing... the log shows nothing that i can recognize as an issue :/
(20th Mar, 2017 02:37 AM)Exnor Wrote: [ -> ]Only "bug" is still the Kodi "play from here" thing... the log shows nothing that i can recognize as an issue :/

I can't reproduce your issue. Just tested it on a SAMBA share, all files inside a folder are played without delay between

(RPi1 1GHz oc, WLAN connection)
(20th Mar, 2017 03:02 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]I can't reproduce your issue. Just tested it on a SAMBA share, all files inside a folder are played without delay between

(RPi1 1GHz oc, WLAN connection)

Here is a paste of the log of last night.... i cant figure out anything compared to my other Kodi machine... Do you find anything out of the ordinary ?

Thank you.

PS: i still cant find an option to edit my posts in the forum.... can you mark this as solved please? Thank you.
(20th Mar, 2017 05:07 AM)Exnor Wrote: [ -> ]Here is a paste of the log of last night.... i cant figure out anything compared to my other Kodi machine... Do you find anything out of the ordinary ?

No, everything looks fine. Maybe enabling debug messages would help

If you start single file only, is that ok?

Quote:PS: i still cant find an option to edit my posts in the forum.... can you mark this as solved please? Thank you.

That's weird Huh Edit, delete etc permissions in all forums and subforums are disabled. So question is, had that ever worked?
(20th Mar, 2017 05:59 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]No, everything looks fine. Maybe enabling debug messages would help

If you start single file only, is that ok?

That's weird Huh Edit, delete etc permissions in all forums and subforums are disabled. So question is, had that ever worked?

Yes with the 1st file on "play from here" it starts ok (or immediately). If i click next (skip, etc) it also loads regularly. Its only when it reach EOF that takes about 30 seconds to load the next file :/

Single files also start and stop normally...

As for the forum, yes it last time there was an option to edit and mark as solved ... don't remember how long ago Tongue
(20th Mar, 2017 06:40 AM)Exnor Wrote: [ -> ]As for the forum, yes it last time there was an option to edit and mark as solved ... don't remember how long ago Tongue

Hmmm, strange. The edit button should be back now Smile
(20th Mar, 2017 06:46 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]
(20th Mar, 2017 06:40 AM)Exnor Wrote: [ -> ]As for the forum, yes it last time there was an option to edit and mark as solved ... don't remember how long ago Tongue

Hmmm, strange. The edit button should be back now Smile

Yep it is Smile
Reference URL's