Forum

Full Version: Upgrade issue......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I just upgraded all xbian pi and now none of them work for kodi. Seems that there is no kodi web page served either.

Looking at it shows that kodi starts and then quits. 'sudo kodi start' responds with 'sudo: kodi: command not found' .... Top lists kodi in the start up phase, but not after and it won't start as above.

This happens on pi1 and pi2.

Am I the only one to have this problem?

S>
(10th Apr, 2017 02:30 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I just upgraded all xbian pi and now none of them work for kodi. Seems that there is no kodi web page served either.

Looking at it shows that kodi starts and then quits. 'sudo kodi start' responds with 'sudo: kodi: command not found' .... Top lists kodi in the start up phase, but not after and it won't start as above.

Please do not use sudo. kodi is alias and does sudo itself Smile

Quote:This happens on pi1 and pi2.

Am I the only one to have this problem?

Which packages were updated? There were 2 XBian updates (xbian-update and xbian-package-xbmc-scripts), but I don't think that those packages are responsible for your issue
Just updated an older RPi2/3 installation successfully Smile
Lucky you Tongue

I have the same issue with 2xpi1 and 2xpi2 now. I am sorry I don't know what the upgrades were as I set them all going and then had to go out. I tried rolling back to an image from a week ago, even completely wiping the sd card first and reformatting it, but still the same problem. I noticed that the pi set for auto update/upgrade was still working but with the message to reboot to set changes. Rebooting it caused the same problem, so likely only caused after a reboot. I can still SSH into them all, but no running kodi and 'kodi start' seems to do something, but still no kodi running in 'top'.

I am now trying the upgrades again and if that doesn't do it then it's back to a February image and see how it goes.
That's absolutely weird Dodgy

Would be very important figuring out why Kodi does not come up

Already looked in logfile?
... and could you check please, if you can really write to sd-card

My Samsung sd-card when died can be read w/o any problems but no write is possible. But it's not reported to system that card is not writable!
@Nachteule

Thanks for the usual fast and friendly help - always appreciated here! Smile

I have figured out what happened. I must say that I am surprised by what I found and you could be too as I know you have a similar setup with a central databse of media serving several xbian installations. You will be able to try this yourself and see if you get the same issues I did! Wink

Well, in this case, as reported I could get no web page from the headless machines and kodi was not showing in 'top' as it should. Yesterday I even went back to a early February image that I know was working well and that too had all the same symptoms. Very strange.

It seems that the problem was that the xbian pi with the database on was not running. That is all it took to make all this happen. Today I restarted it and all was well with all my xbian pi machines. To replicate just disconnect or power down the pi with the shared mysql databease on and reboot another xbian pi. You should get the same issues I did. Simples, but very confusing at the time.

As to why the database pi was not powered up is another technology issue..... this time a rogue vacuum cleaner decided to chew up the power cord and the rest is history!

Do let me know if you try it and what you find. Would be interesting to know!

Smile
Very interesting, glad you found issue Smile

I can not reproduce your issue, if database server is not available (mysql down or no network available), Kodi comes up without connection to database and library is empty. That's it. Never seen that Kodi does not come up.
Maybe difference to your environment is, don't have any entries in audio db, onliy in video db.

But will keep it in mind Tongue
Did you try to get to the http server on the (rebooted) client pi with no database server running? Did Kodi show in 'top'?

Yes it was all very strange, but this is what happened.

Thanks for trying it out though Tongue

On another issue, within the kodi menu I cannot find a selection for 50hz refresh (for pal video)..... Any ideas?
(13th Apr, 2017 04:56 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Did you try to get to the http server on the (rebooted) client pi with no database server running? Did Kodi show in 'top'?

No/(Yes)
When Kodi GUI is present, Kodi should appear in top Smile

Quote:On another issue, within the kodi menu I cannot find a selection for 50hz refresh (for pal video)..... Any ideas?

Kodi's behavior has been changed a bit. You can select refresh rates only which are reported from TV via EDID

In my case, 1080p/60hz has gone and usually after reinstall or setting 1080p resolution I have to reboot to get 50Hz. I know, my TV sends incorrect EDID data Sad Another older pc with AMD graphic connected to same TV does not see 23.976 and 24.0Hz refresh rate, but he gets 60Hz Huh Dodgy Angry (F.....g EDID)

Which refresh rates can you select?
The pi in question is headless and therefore devoid of any edid data. That only then give the option of 60Hz or 59,97 Hz ...So maybe if I add a monitor to it I can select the right refresh rate and it will remember it. (yeah, I am feeling optimistic) Smile
(13th Apr, 2017 05:24 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]The pi in question is headless and therefore devoid of any edid data. That only then give the option of 60Hz or 59,97 Hz ...So maybe if I add a monitor to it I can select the right refresh rate and it will remember it. (yeah, I am feeling optimistic) Smile

You could place EDID file into /boot, described here
Yes that might work, bot wouldn't it set the rate to only that and nothing else? So if I play a film at 24Hz it would have a problem?

Anyway, I tried with a pi2 into the projector and under Kodi 16 I could set 50Hz, with Kodi 17 there is no option for that at all! - Strange.
(18th Apr, 2017 11:26 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Yes that might work, bot wouldn't it set the rate to only that and nothing else? So if I play a film at 24Hz it would have a problem?

No, don't think so. If you get this EDID file from your TV and store it to /boot, RPi should know all resolutions

Quote:Anyway, I tried with a pi2 into the projector and under Kodi 16 I could set 50Hz, with Kodi 17 there is no option for that at all! - Strange.

Hmmm, yes. Strange things happens Tongue
Reference URL's