Forum

Full Version: How to Expand SD Card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(10th May, 2017 05:16 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, you can't read/write root partition from windows, because XBian uses BTRFS file system and W$ can not deal with that

All what you see in W$ is the boot partition, because this is FAT formatted

Ah, interesting.

In theroy would it be possible to add media to the SD card, with a Linux based machine?
@Nachteule,

Here is my config....

Code:
xbian@cinema2film ~ $ cat /boot/config.txt
initramfs initramfs.gz  0x1000000
gpu_mem_1024=300
gpu_mem_512=144
gpu_mem_256=100
initial_turbo=3
decode_MPG2=0x3926547
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
disable_overscan=1
disable_splash=1
dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi
#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtoverlay=i2c-rtc,ds3231
dtoverlay=lirc-rpi,gpio_out_pin=17,gpio_in_pin=26,debug
dtoverlay=lirc-rpi
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

It is the same as the other pi2 and that had no issues upgrading..... But I am sure you know the solution! Big Grin
(10th May, 2017 06:28 AM)TheDutypaid Wrote: [ -> ]
(10th May, 2017 05:16 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, you can't read/write root partition from windows, because XBian uses BTRFS file system and W$ can not deal with that

All what you see in W$ is the boot partition, because this is FAT formatted

Ah, interesting.

In theroy would it be possible to add media to the SD card, with a Linux based machine?

Only via network connection accessing XBian's samba shares
(10th May, 2017 06:51 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]@Nachteule,

Here is my config....

Code:
initramfs initramfs.gz  0x1000000
gpu_mem_1024=300
gpu_mem_512=144
gpu_mem_256=100
initial_turbo=3
decode_MPG2=0x3926547
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
disable_overscan=1
disable_splash=1
dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi
#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtoverlay=lirc-rpi
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

It is the same as the other pi2 and that had no issues upgrading..... But I am sure you know the solution! Big Grin

Hmmm, is this quiz question ?

could you change

initramfs initramfs.gz 0x1000000 to initramfs initramfs.gz 0x1500000

and try again

Look here

Kernel >= 4.6 caused issue
I made the changes and rebooted, here is the result. I have not yet tried another upgrade as this looks just like the last output.

Code:
#initramfs initramfs.gz  0x1500000
gpu_mem_1024=300
gpu_mem_512=144
gpu_mem_256=100
initial_turbo=3
decode_MPG2=0x3926547
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
disable_overscan=1
disable_splash=1
dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi
#dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtoverlay=lirc-rpi
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

------------------------------------

xbian@cinema2film ~ $ sudo fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk0

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 14.9 GiB, 15980298240 bytes, 31211520 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xf29dd130

Device         Boot  Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/mmcblk0p1 *      2048  141311  139264   68M  b W95 FAT32
/dev/mmcblk0p2      141312 6006783 5865472  2.8G 83 Linux
@Skywatch

Quote:#initramfs initramfs.gz 0x1500000

please read all other posts here. Your initramfs is commented out. So resize will NEVER work!

And this post may be useful too
New version of xbian-package-initramfs is out

Automatically changes load address of initramfs from 0x10xxxxx to 0x15xxxxx now Smile

New package available in 2 hours
I tested this 3 times on 2 different pi 2 machines and every time I set 0x15... and rebooted it would appear commented out again. Very repeatable.

I also followed the thread you knidly linked to and sure enough, initramfs was set to 'required' and not 'always'. Since I have not changed this setting (didn't even know it was there), what could have caused this?

I'll try the upgrades later today and report back if I find an issue.

Thanks Smile
(11th May, 2017 09:25 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]I tested this 3 times on 2 different pi 2 machines and every time I set 0x15... and rebooted it would appear commented out again. Very repeatable.

I also followed the thread you knidly linked to and sure enough, initramfs was set to 'required' and not 'always'. Since I have not changed this setting (didn't even know it was there), what could have caused this?

I'll try the upgrades later today and report back if I find an issue.

1) RPi has to shutdown/reboot gracefully, because setting will be written when system shuts down.
2) before doing this, make sure that file /etc/default/xbian-initramfs is correct. It should look like this

Code:
MAKEBACKUP=yes

FORCEINITRAM=yes

LVM=no

Why is FORCEINITRAM set to yes?
Answer: if set to no (== required in xbian-config GUI), initramfs is only enabled if a reboot is required (usually when updates were installed), or kernel cmdline (see /boot/cmdline.txt) has bootmenu or rescue as additional parameter.

So, if you just reboot system, initramfs usually remains disabled if FORCEINITRAM is not set to yes
Interesting post - I did not know any of that!

Now 2 things.....

1. An observation that there no longer seems to be an announcement that upgrades are available when I ssh into a pi.
2. One of the pi2 that was not having a problem now is. I did all the changes as per previous posts, but when I try to update it I get......

<code>
E:Method gave invalid 103 Redirect message
E: dpgk was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --config
</code>

Running sudo dpkg --config only brings up suggestions to use --help or other wise. It does not seem to fix the problem.
Earlier this pi seemed to upgrade just fine, but now no http service from it although ssh still works.
sudo dpkg --configure -a
Yup! - That helped - Thank You ! Smile Smile Smile

A little fiddling and now it's back running properly!

Smile
(12th May, 2017 12:20 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Yup! - That helped - Thank You ! Smile Smile Smile

A little fiddling and now it's back running properly!

Smile

Best news today Big Grin
In one word, NO. They are created for the size you purchased. An 8gb will be 8gb no matter what you try. 16gb will be 16gb, 32, 64, 128.

Now one thing to try although it will only work on a computer is to format the SD card inserted into a usb adapter and use compression,but any technical issue you can visit here [link removed] that will let you see more space than what is available, but the problem is that devices that use the SD card can not use the card as it is formatted.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's