Forum

Full Version: Update with Krypton
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

I have not been updating my Pis (B model, 512 MB RAM) for a while
and when I updated Xbian last week, I realised it has got Krypton
now.

Unfortunately, those Pis are now unbearable slow as if Krypton was
just not meant for that cute old hardware. Smile

Literally, every command or anything takes 10 to 30 seconds to interact
and starting a file is just a lucky adventure now, because often it will not
start at all (the file).

So, there is just this question for you guys:

Is Krypton not a good idea for the first/old Pi or do I have to change
something to get a nice working interface again?

I remember under Gotham or Jarvis, it was way better/faster.

Do I have to downgrade and if yes, can you tell me the easiest way
without deleting and reinstalling everything from scratch?

Thanks, guys.
(15th May, 2017 03:07 AM)syco Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,

now.

Hmmm, seems there is something wrong with your installation. I'm using Krypton on my old Raspberry Pi1 without any problems since months. It is only a little bit slower than Jarvis, because Estuary skin seems to have more to do Wink
But Kodi is still usable, absolutely no problem

Do you overclock Pi? I'm running Pi @ 1GHz since years

Quote:Literally, every command or anything takes 10 to 30 seconds to interact
start at all (the file).

See above

Quote:I remember under Gotham or Jarvis, it was way better/faster.

Sure, downgrading is possible, please run:

Terminal

sudo apt-cache policy xbian-package-xbmc

This will show you a list of available versions of this package

Terminal

sudo apt-get install xbian-package-xbmc=16.1-...

This installs version you want to have
(15th May, 2017 03:48 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]
(15th May, 2017 03:07 AM)syco Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,

now.

Hmmm, seems there is something wrong with your installation. I'm using Krypton on my old Raspberry Pi1 without any problems since months. It is only a little bit slower than Jarvis, because Estuary skin seems to have more to do Wink
But Kodi is still usable, absolutely no problem

Do you overclock Pi? I'm running Pi @ 1GHz since years

Quote:Literally, every command or anything takes 10 to 30 seconds to interact
start at all (the file).

See above

Quote:I remember under Gotham or Jarvis, it was way better/faster.

Sure, downgrading is possible, please run:

Terminal

sudo apt-cache policy xbian-package-xbmc

This will show you a list of available versions of this package

Terminal

sudo apt-get install xbian-package-xbmc=16.1-...

This installs version you want to have

Thank you, very much.

Which values do you have with your overclocking? Raised only the Mhz?

Is it only possible by Xbian menu in Putty or can I alter a file directly with Nano? I am asking because, when I try to enter the overclocking by Xbian menu in Putty, it does not allow me to do so and it says "an unexpected error occurred".
(15th May, 2017 04:05 AM)syco Wrote: [ -> ]Which values do you have with your overclocking? Raised only the Mhz?

Is it only possible by Xbian menu in Putty or can I alter a file directly with Nano? I am asking because, when I try to enter the overclocking by Xbian menu in Putty, it does not allow me to do so and it says "an unexpected error occurred".

Currently the overclocking module in xbian-config is broken (already fixed but currently not released)

My settings are:

Code:
arm_freq=1000
arm_freq_min=500
core_freq=500
gpu_freq=333
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=6

in /boot/config.txt
(15th May, 2017 04:40 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Currently the overclocking module in xbian-config is broken (already fixed but currently not released)

My settings are:

Code:
arm_freq=1000
arm_freq_min=500
core_freq=500
gpu_freq=333
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=6

in /boot/config.txt

Alright, that explains my error message. Smile

Well, I tried your settings, but they lead to a black screen, meaning first I saw the Xbian logo, then the Kodi logo and after that the "desktop", but only for some seconds and then it went black with a login question.

So, I tried these settings for now:

arm_freq=1000
arm_freq_min=500
core_freq=250
gpu_freq=333
sdram_freq=400
over_voltage=2

They work.

It just remains the question, if it was the core_freq=500, the sdram_freq=500 or the over_voltage=6, which brought down my little Pi. Smile Do you have an Idea? Shall I raise core_freq or rather sdram_freq? I guess raising over_voltage will just not work good.

Btw, I did also 39 updates today and with the updated settings, it seems to work better/faster now. I will check it out the next days.

Thanks again, mate.

Alright, I was a bit daring and tried raising the core_freq again and now with these settings my Pi is just really fast and responsive:

arm_freq=1000
arm_freq_min=500
core_freq=500
gpu_freq=333
sdram_freq=400
over_voltage=2

I think, I should not temper with sdram_freq and over_voltage for now. Smile
Okay, I take everything back. The interface is fast now, but still starting a movie takes up to 60 seconds.

Starting a series file did not work, at all. Also, the same with TV (Simple TV addon).

Now, I do not know, if it is the overclocking or the messy Krypton (sorry, older Kodi versions run fine on my boxes).

I will downgrade to 16.1 now and test further.

Btw, on a non-Pi I see the same: Jarvis is freaking fast and having no issues, but Krypton is still just a big construction place with several problems everywhere.
(15th May, 2017 08:55 PM)syco Wrote: [ -> ]It just remains the question, if it was the core_freq=500, the sdram_freq=500 or the over_voltage=6, which brought down my little Pi. Smile Do you have an Idea? Shall I raise core_freq or rather sdram_freq? I guess raising over_voltage will just not work good.

The answer is simple:

Your Pi1 does not work with those setting

I copied them from my config, so be sure my 2 RPi1's are running very stable for more than 3 years, never had issues.

Do you have head sink on CPU? I'm using them on both Pi's
to me latest Kodi runs fine on all platforms I have tried, RPi, Win, Linux, Android... No issues and snappy as always
(15th May, 2017 10:31 PM)syco Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, I take everything back. The interface is fast now, but still starting a movie takes up to 60 seconds.

Starting a series file did not work, at all. Also, the same with TV (Simple TV addon).
Btw, on a non-Pi I see the same: Jarvis is freaking fast and having no issues, but Krypton is still just a big construction place with several problems everywhere.

Seems it depends on your configuration, maybe you have Addons installed which are responsible for your strange issues or you got just a network issue, cant way without looking into debug logs
(15th May, 2017 11:21 PM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]
(15th May, 2017 10:31 PM)syco Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, I take everything back. The interface is fast now, but still starting a movie takes up to 60 seconds.

Seems it depends on your configuration, maybe you have Addons installed which are responsible for your strange issues or you got just a network issue, cant way without looking into debug logs

possibly a case of using non compliant addon causing an issue on latest Kodi builds
Yeah, could be the case. This setup is like three years old, started two versions before Gotham or so.

I guess, I just have to do a fresh start.

Btw, going back to Jarvis from Krypton did NOT work, AT ALL. Menus were disrupted/not clickable, ... etc.

So, have to do everything new, anyway.

But still I think, Krypton is shit, sorry. I have four boxes of different brands now (except two Pis), and everything went worse after Krypton, while before with Jarvis it was all good - even on different Linux builds (Xbian, Libreelec, ... etc.).
(16th May, 2017 01:07 AM)syco Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, could be the case. This setup is like three years old, started two versions before Gotham or so.

I guess, I just have to do a fresh start.

Btw, going back to Jarvis from Krypton did NOT work, AT ALL. Menus were disrupted/not clickable, ... etc.

So, have to do everything new, anyway.

Did you ever heard anything about revert to snapshot?

Why not revert to a snapshor before you updated your system?
Revert root and home snapshot should be enough, to make sure that you have correct kernel configuration (because /boot can not be snapshotted)

Quote:But still I think, Krypton is shit, sorry. I have four boxes of different brands now (except two Pis), and everything went worse after Krypton, while before with Jarvis it was all good - even on different Linux builds (Xbian, Libreelec, ... etc.).

Seems you don't like Kodi Krypton and vice versa Tongue
Alright, everything seems to be working now with a fresh Jarvis and these settings:

arm_freq=900
arm_freq_min=400
core_freq=333
sdram_freq=400
over_voltage=0

Yeah, Krypton is just not my thing for now. Smile
I concur with the others, I have no issues running Krypton/Debian Stretch on a Pi B+ (512MB).
Thats with a shared library (via mysql) that holds some 1200 movies and I dont know how many series and music.
And to make things worse, I additionally installed Pi-Hole (network wide ad-blocker) on this B+.
But I believe a Pi2 is better suited as a media center/ ad-blocker combo.
I even had XBian running on a bare Pi B (256MB) but with all the art being displayed with Krypton, this one was less suited.
Same here mate....

Running 2 Pi's model B (1st ones) and to be honest i think it's actually more responsive now than before (before version 17 i had problems decoding FHD files from LAN shares, now if the bit rate does not go very high i have no problems at all Smile ).

In case it helps here's my configuration (config.txt)

initramfs initramfs.gz 0x1500000
gpu_mem_1024=256
gpu_mem_512=144
gpu_mem_256=100
initial_turbo=3
dtoverlay=lirc-rpi
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=6
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1