Forum

Full Version: kodi freezes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Software
XBian version: xbian 1.0 (knockout) (kernal: linux 3.18.8+)
XBMC/Kodi version: 14.2
Overclock settings: none

Hardware
Device type and model: Raspberry Pi 2
Power supply rating: 1000
SD card size and make/type: SanDisk Ultra microSDHC 8GB class 10 SDSDQUAN-008G-G4A
Network (Ethernet or wireless): wireless
Connected devices: TV & USB 3.0 drive

Log files
Link to logfile(s):
https://pastebin.com/PA5HFgLk

Problem description:
Kodi seems to freeze after a few hours, and my untrained eye can't see anything in the log files. When Kodi is on the screen it makes the correct sound for button presses but the screen itself stays frozen on the dimmed screensaver. I've removed all of the add ons and cleared up as many errors as I could in the log file, but the only way I can fix the problem is by stopping and starting the xbmc service with upstart.

How to reproduce:
Leave running for a few hours

Thanks for any help!
You're running a very old version of Kodi - we have 17.1 now.

If your system was stable in the past, maybe you have hardware issue now:

1) power supply (1000mA ?) is probably not enough to power Rpi2 in all situations
2) Maybe checking sd-card would be good idea
3) upgrading system could help
I agree with the above. You need a 2A (2000mA) supply at least for pi 2, for pi 3 I use 3A supply. Get a good one too as the quality of the cheaper ones can be bad.

You could try a different power cable if the one you have is USB and can be unplugged from the power supply, it might have become worn especially if there are any sharp bends in the cable.

Good luck (and please upgrade to latest xbian as it is very good and stable)....
Thanks for the help guys. I'll buy a new power adapter, I just didn't think it would be hardware related because everything else is running fine.

Unfortunately I can't update it, as it has unmet dependencies that are uninstallable Sad
(22nd May, 2017 04:35 AM)griv Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately I can't update it, as it has unmet dependencies that are uninstallable Sad

Maybe would be good idea if you could tell us which unmet dependencies you have
My apologies, I've just re-ran it now and it has indeed updated some of my packages, however the xbian package itself has not:

W: Failed to fetch mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt/dists/stable/Release Unable to find expected entry 'rpi2-wheezy/binary-armhf/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Is it down for maintenance maybe?
(23rd May, 2017 06:31 AM)griv Wrote: [ -> ]E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Is it down for maintenance maybe?

Wow, you're still running Wheezy Smile This version is depreciated and all repositories has been already deleted

In your case you have to upgrade in at least 2 steps:

1st step: I suppose xbian-package-repo is going to be updated. This package automatically changes repository from Wheezy to Jessie

2nd step: you have to run sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get upgrade manually to upgrade XBian from Wheezy based to Jessie based os
Ha yes sorry quite out of date now!

Does that first step mean I have to replace my repos with a stable one from here?

http://wiki.xbian.org/doku.php/repos
(23rd May, 2017 07:09 AM)griv Wrote: [ -> ]Does that first step mean I have to replace my repos with a stable one from here?

No, this should be done by installing recent version of xbian-package-repo automatically

If your sources files doesn't look like this:

Raspberry Pi2/Pi3 / CuBox-i / Hummingboard: /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://http.debian.net/debian jessie main non-free

Raspberry Pi2/Pi3: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbian.list

deb mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt stable main rpi2-jessie
### deb mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt staging main rpi2-jessie
### deb mirror://apt.xbian.org/mirror.txt devel main rpi2-jessie

you have to edit them manually before running sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get upgrade
Thank you kindly for those instructions, I had to go to sleep last night and have only just got back to it now, years of updates takes a long time, who knew Big Grin

I've had to run apt-get dist-upgrade as the xbian packages were being kept back, but now I have a different issue. It can't proceed into the upgrade because of a problem with plymouth:

update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported; falling back to defaults
insserv: Service udev has to be enabled to start service plymouth
insserv: exiting now!
update-rc.d: error: insserv rejected the script header
dpkg: error processing package plymouth (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
plymouth
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1).

I can't seem to get past this error, should I maybe remove it? Thanks for your help again.

Nevermind, I thought a reboot might solve it, but I think I've just broken it entirely. It just sticks at the loading screen, and I can no longer ssh onto it.

I did take a backup using the xbian backup tool but I guess if I can't even ssh onto it there's not much I can do?
OMG, running apt-get dist-upgrade was very very bad idea Sad

I never talked about dist-upgrade, I said sudo apt-get upgrade Exclamation see XBian FAQ "Why should I not use apt-get"

Seems you have killed your installation

So you can run into rescue mode see cmdlne options, mount root fs (/dev/mmcblk0p2) and recover system from snapshot automatically made before running apt-get distupgrade
Unfortunately I had seen a similar problem with Ubuntu a few days ago and thought it might also work here, admittedly I didn't think it would break everything, but that's entirely my fault and I appreciate all of your help!

Can I ask a question about the cmd line rescue? Sorry if I'm being stupid but reading that page I can't see where I would set those options? I've tried holding the space bar upon boot but it passes the 'init' screen then hangs on the loading screen.
Ok, so step for step:

1) for this procedure you have to enabled initramfs, because all stuff needed for rescue system is in the initramfs

If it is not enabled (you don't see message "To dropdown to shell, press and hold shift on usb attached keyboard..." on the upper left corner of your screen when you power up RPi), you have to enable it by putting your sd-card into an sd-card reader and edit file config.txt. This file is located on first partition of sd-card. It's a VFAT partition, so you can do this on your PC using a standard text editor of your choice.
Find the line initramfs initramfs.gz 0x1... and make sure that this line is NOT commented out by a leading '#' character

2) Enable rescue mode

To enable rescue mode you have to add rescue to the cmdline in the file file cmdline.txt. This file is located at the same place config.txt is. Please note, ALL parameters have to be in one line, separated by space. Do NOT add new line in file cmdline.txt

3) Boot into rescue mode

Plug in your sd-card into RPi and power up RPi. After a short while you will see text console of recovery system.

4) Revert root subvolume to a snapshot by entering following commands:

Terminal
mount /dev/root /mnt
cd /mnt/root
ls -la

This will give you a list of all available snapshots of your root subvolume. It looks something like this:
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 220 Mai 11 04:19 @btrfs-auto-snap_apt-run-2017-05-18-2200
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 220 Mai 11 04:19 @btrfs-auto-snap_apt-run-2017-05-18-2201
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 220 Mai 11 04:19 @btrfs-auto-snap_apt-run-2017-05-18-2202
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 220 Mai 11 04:19 @btrfs-auto-snap_daily-2017-05-17-1857
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 220 Mai 11 04:19 @btrfs-auto-snap_daily-2017-05-18-1913
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 200 Mär 28 15:09 @btrfs-auto-snap_monthly-2017-03-28-1603
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 176 Apr 16 17:46 @btrfs-auto-snap_monthly-2017-04-16-1812
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 176 Apr 17 15:38 @btrfs-auto-snap_monthly-2017-04-17-1639
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 200 Apr 27 17:52 @btrfs-auto-snap_monthly-2017-04-28-1953
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 200 Apr 18 19:18 @btrfs-auto-snap_weekly-2017-04-26-1844
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 200 Apr 27 17:52 @btrfs-auto-snap_weekly-2017-05-04-0249
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 200 Mai 7 20:31 @btrfs-auto-snap_weekly-2017-05-10-1930
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 220 Mai 11 04:19 @btrfs-auto-snap_weekly-2017-05-17-1924
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 220 Mai 11 04:19 @last_good_known

Terminal

mv @ @-bad

@ is the current active (and bad) root subvolume. This command moves it away

Terminal

mv @btrfs-auto-snap_apt-run-2017... @

@btrfs-auto-snap_apt-run-2017... is the snapshort before you run apt-get dist-upgrade, make this
snapshot to the active one

Terminal

sync

Make sure that everything is written back to disk. Now it's save to power off RPi

5) Disable rescue mode again by removing the rescue parameter from your cmdline in cmdline.txt

6) Finally boot RPi
Thank you so much! We are back online Smile. You've been so helpful, I really appreciate it!

Since my problem is probably a hardware issue I'll purchase a new Raspberry Pi 3 and start again with the latest xbian. At least now I can copy the config from my current pi, which will save a lot of time!

Thanks again and my apologies for my wrong doing.
(25th May, 2017 06:31 AM)griv Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you so much! We are back online Smile. You've been so helpful, I really appreciate it!

Since my problem is probably a hardware issue I'll purchase a new Raspberry Pi 3 and start again with the latest xbian. At least now I can copy the config from my current pi, which will save a lot of time!

Thanks again and my apologies for my wrong doing.

No problem, nobody is perfect Big Grin
Reference URL's