Forum

Full Version: Migration from Rpi1 -> Rpi2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Ah ok.

Maybe wrong root fs (/dev/sda1) is still in initfamfs.gz (not sure if this is stored in initramfs or not, never checked this). You could try to disable initramfs by commenting out it in /boot/config.txt by something like this

Code:
#initramfs initramfs.gz  0x1500000

or simply remove or rename /boot/initramfs.gz and try again booting Smile

and you can enable debug and disable splash by

change splash to nosplash and adding debug to cmdline in /boot/cmdline.txt
Some good suggestions there - will try out tomorrow....

Smile
One thing I did think of was that kodi overrides the initramfs setting in boot/config internally (remember setting it to 'always' in kodi menus).
Do you know where I can change this as I expect it to interfere when trying to boot without initramfs. Huh

update... I tried it anyway and now it does not boot. Just get a flashing underscore in the top left corner. Undecided

I have removed the SD card and am wiping it completely and then re-install the rpi1 image and try again. May take some time though.... Confused

Here is cmdline.txt...
Terminal

telnet zswap.enabled=1 zswap.compressor=lz4 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootflags=subvol=root/@,autodefrag,compress=lz4 rootfstype=btrfs rootwait logo.nologo quiet noswap loglevel=0 partswap startevent=mountall selinux=0 splash nohdparm net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0 --startup-event mountall

Seems that removing initramfs from /boot stops it even getting to splash screen. Going back to initram I get a message to press shift before the splash appears. Even doing this it hangs at 'loading' screen. Maybe it's better to start from scratch now? Confused

and config.txt...
Terminal

#initramfs initramfs.gz 0x1500000
gpu_mem_1024=256
gpu_mem_512=144
gpu_mem_256=100
initial_turbo=3
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
disable_overscan=1
disable_splash=1
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtoverlay=i2c-rtc,ds3231
decode_MPG2=0x73c4f0f6
#dtoverlay=lirc-rpi
arm_freq=700
core_freq=250
sdram_freq=400
over_voltage=0
(3rd Sep, 2017 05:45 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]One thing I did think of was that kodi overrides the initramfs setting in boot/config internally (remember setting it to 'always' in kodi menus).
Do you know where I can change this as I expect it to interfere when trying to boot without initramfs. Huh

Hopefully you do no have Alzheimer Dodgy, we already discussed this here

Quote:update... I tried it anyway and now it does not boot. Just get a flashing underscore in the top left corner. Undecided

That's what I was already talking about, all you was seeing came from initramfs. So, I suppose your root fs (/dev/mmcblk0p2) is broken

Quote:I have removed the SD card and am wiping it completely and then re-install the rpi1 image and try again. May take some time though.... Confused

Make sure that your saved image is correct. Btw, you can check log of image generation. See file /tmp/xbiancopy.log (here one of mine RPi1 from building image yesterday)

xbiancopy.log (Click to View)

Quote:Here is cmdline.txt...
Terminal

telnet zswap.enabled=1 zswap.compressor=lz4 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootflags=subvol=root/@,autodefrag,compress=lz4 rootfstype=btrfs rootwait logo.nologo quiet noswap loglevel=0 partswap startevent=mountall selinux=0 splash nohdparm net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0 --startup-event mountall

Looks ok

Quote:Seems that removing initramfs from /boot stops it even getting to splash screen. Going back to initram I get a message to press shift before the splash appears. Even doing this it hangs at 'loading' screen. Maybe it's better to start from scratch now? Confused

See above, no initramfs, nothing on screen

Quote:and config.txt...
Terminal

#initramfs initramfs.gz 0x1500000
gpu_mem_1024=256
gpu_mem_512=144
gpu_mem_256=100
initial_turbo=3
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
disable_overscan=1
disable_splash=1
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtoverlay=i2c-rtc,ds3231
decode_MPG2=0x73c4f0f6
#dtoverlay=lirc-rpi
arm_freq=700
core_freq=250
sdram_freq=400
over_voltage=0

Looks ok

You can force entering into rescue mode by adding rescue as additional parameter to cmdline in /boot/cmdline.txt. You need do attach an USB keyboard to your RPi

Please note: For rescue mode initramfs has to be enabled
I hope no Alzheimer too, a hangover though I do have Confused

Added rescue but no change. Tried holding down both left shift and right shift (even space bar), but still goes as far as loading and halts once the bargraph has completed slowly.

FWIW heres the new cmdline.txt.....

Terminal

rescue
(3rd Sep, 2017 10:25 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]I hope no Alzheimer too, a hangover though I do have Confused

Added rescue but no change. Tried holding down both left shift and right shift (even space bar), but still goes as far as loading and halts once the bargraph has completed slowly.

Terminal

rescue

That's weird Confused
Rescue mode is started always, I do not have to hit any key, and even after removing root fs (my dev sys is on USB disk) rescue mode is there

Btw, do you have wired of wireless keyboard? I was reading long time ago that the shift key only works with wired keyboards
Weird it sure is - today trying to do this in parallel with a mysensors gateway/node problem and cleaning the house..... So far none of them are winning..... Maybe rescue mode not starting is a clue? Smile

I have wired usb keyboard attached. And USB mouse too. Network and hdmi cable. That's all (apart from power).....

I could try rescue_early (been reading the wiki!).... but probably get the same result. Initramfs is enabled in config.txt again too, so not that.

Aha!

I now have recovery console.

Seems that rescue only works if splash is set to nosplash..... Who knew?

So, before I dig an even bigger hole, can you kindly let me know what to do now.... ???
(3rd Sep, 2017 11:01 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Weird it sure is - today trying to do this in parallel with a mysensors gateway/node problem and cleaning the house..... So far none of them are winning..... Maybe rescue mode not starting is a clue? Smile

I have wired usb keyboard attached. And USB mouse too. Network and hdmi cable. That's all (apart from power).....

I could try rescue_early (been reading the wiki!).... but probably get the same result. Initramfs is enabled in config.txt again too, so not that.

Aha!

I now have recovery console.

Wow, that's great Smile

Quote:Seems that rescue only works if splash is set to nosplash..... Who knew?

No, at least not here. But disabling splash is better for investigating issues ...

Quote:So, before I dig an even bigger hole, can you kindly let me know what to do now.... ???

1) Checking, if your root fs is ok - it should be mounted to /rootfs automatically
2) type exit to continue normal boot process and look if there are error messages
Now we see the problem....

Switch_root: Failed to execute /sbin/init: No such file or directory

Not sure if it is good or bad news though..... Confused
(3rd Sep, 2017 11:41 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Now we see the problem....

Switch_root: Failed to execute /sbin/init: No such file or directory

Not sure if it is good or bad news though..... Confused

I suppose your image build is broken
(4th Sep, 2017 01:04 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]I suppose your image build is broken

Does not sound good. In the end it would have been quicker to start afresh, well I did try and save some time.
Thanks for helping me out with this, it is always appreciated. Smile
(4th Sep, 2017 02:14 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Does not sound good. In the end it would have been quicker to start afresh, well I did try and save some time.
Thanks for helping me out with this, it is always appreciated. Smile

Another chapter for "afterwards you are always wiser" Dodgy

It would be good idea to check backed up images from time to time (look into file /tmp/xbiancopy.log):

Since image backup of my dev RPi3 failed once (BTRFS complained filesystem error, so root fs was empty in image), I was generating this log file and I'm checking this file sporadically Smile
(3rd Sep, 2017 10:40 PM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]
(3rd Sep, 2017 10:25 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]I hope no Alzheimer too, a hangover though I do have Confused

Terminal

rescue

That's weird Confused
Rescue mode is started always, I do not have to hit any key, and even after removing root fs (my dev sys is on USB disk) rescue mode is there

Btw, do you have wired of wireless keyboard? I was reading long time ago that the shift key only works with wired keyboards

Just FYI:

Holding down left shift (yes, only left shift does it) to enter into rescue works again.

This issue was one of the most annoying mystery in the past Dodgy
@Nachteule,

Sorry for the delay, been in hospital....but home now (with a new hip!).... Smile

I got it all working except the lcd display which would not work no matter what I tried. But last night I took another look and it is all working as before with pi2. Now much faster response to menu and streaming. I am happy with this. Smile
(31st Oct, 2017 04:55 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]@Nachteule,

Sorry for the delay, been in hospital....but home now (with a new hip!).... Smile

A new hip Cool Hmm, may I ask what happened?

Quote:I got it all working except the lcd display which would not work no matter what I tried. But last night I took another look and it is all working as before with pi2. Now much faster response to menu and streaming. I am happy with this. Smile

Good news, enjoy your Pi Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's