Forum

Full Version: Any idea when Debian Stretch will be available for Pi 1?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(28th Nov, 2017 07:02 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Please try to reinstall xbian-package-repo and see if you get upgrade button in xbian-config GUI

Hm, found it, it was misleading! I had no "upgrade" button in xbian-config, that's where I expected it to find. However I did find an "update to Debian Stretch" in Kodi under Settings\XBian\Updates, no need to reinstall xbian-package-repo! Now after launching that menu item and waiting for a couple of minutes
Code:
cat /etc/debian_version
gives me
Terminal
I could thus upgrade to stretch via Kodi and that's solved now.

However during upgrade I saw a couple of warnings rush by. Dunno if these are to be expected.

Some are warnings regarding changed shell scripts (which I didn't change) like so:
Terminal
Configuration file '/etc/init.d/hwclock.sh'
==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
==> Keeping old config file as default.

Missing jobs, like so:
Terminal
initctl: Unknown job: K01nfs-common
insserv: warning: script 'K01nfs-common' missing LSB tags and overrides
There are lots of warnings regarding unknown jobs, most often and very repeatedly urandom is named.

Warnings regarding missing runlevels, like so:
Terminal
insserv: Default-Start undefined, assuming empty start runlevel(s) for script `bootmisc.sh'
insserv: Default-Stop undefined, assuming empty stop runlevel(s) for script `bootmisc.sh'
Those warnings also included services that made me frown a bit, like cron and ssh.

Funny as well:
Terminal
Configuration file '/etc/init.d/rpcbind'
==> Deleted (by you or by a script) since installation.
Ehm, really? Keeping the deleted file - how did it do such magic?? Tongue

Then we have:
Terminal
Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/^(.*?)(\\)?\${ <-- HERE ([^{}]+)}(.*)$/ at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 72.
Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/\${ <-- HERE ([^}]+)}/ at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Config.pm line 30.
OK, think that's non critical, just deprecated syntax.

And then finally this. Don't exactly understand what this want's to tell me, however I also don't think this is critical:
Terminal
update-alternatives: warning: alternative /usr/bin/compare-im6 (part of link group compare) doesn't exist; removing from list of alternatives
update-alternatives: warning: /etc/alternatives/compare is dangling; it will be updated with best choice

Aside from this install warnings a short test showed the system seems to run as it did before the upgrade. So if you confirm that above warnings are to be expected and the changes in some config files are made by xbian and are to be expected as well, then I'm probably done with switching to stretch.

THX

Don
(4th Dec, 2017 06:40 AM)Don Pedro Wrote: [ -> ]
(28th Nov, 2017 07:02 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Please try to reinstall xbian-package-repo and see if you get upgrade button in xbian-config GUI

Hm, found it, it was misleading! I had no "upgrade" button in xbian-config, that's where I expected it to find. However I did find an "update to Debian Stretch" in Kodi under Settings\XBian\Updates, no need to reinstall xbian-package-repo! Now after launching that menu item and waiting for a couple of minutes
Code:
cat /etc/debian_version
gives me
Terminal
I could thus upgrade to stretch via Kodi and that's solved now.

However during upgrade I saw a couple of warnings rush by. Dunno if these are to be expected.

Some are warnings regarding changed shell scripts (which I didn't change) like so:
Terminal
Configuration file '/etc/init.d/hwclock.sh'
==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.

Missing jobs, like so:
Terminal
initctl: Unknown job: K01nfs-common
insserv: warning: script 'K01nfs-common' missing LSB tags and overrides
There are lots of warnings regarding unknown jobs, most often and very repeatedly urandom is named.

Warnings regarding missing runlevels, like so:
Terminal
insserv: Default-Start undefined, assuming empty start runlevel(s) for script `bootmisc.sh'
insserv: Default-Stop undefined, assuming empty stop runlevel(s) for script `bootmisc.sh'
Those warnings also included services that made me frown a bit, like cron and ssh.

Funny as well:
Terminal
Configuration file '/etc/init.d/rpcbind'
==> Deleted (by you or by a script) since installation.
Ehm, really? Keeping the deleted file - how did it do such magic?? Tongue

Then we have:
Terminal
Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/^(.*?)(\\)?\${ <-- HERE ([^{}]+)}(.*)$/ at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 72.
Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/\${ <-- HERE ([^}]+)}/ at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Config.pm line 30.
OK, think that's non critical, just deprecated syntax.

And then finally this. Don't exactly understand what this want's to tell me, however I also don't think this is critical:
Terminal
update-alternatives: warning: alternative /usr/bin/compare-im6 (part of link group compare) doesn't exist; removing from list of alternatives
update-alternatives: warning: /etc/alternatives/compare is dangling; it will be updated with best choice

Aside from this install warnings a short test showed the system seems to run as it did before the upgrade. So if you confirm that above warnings are to be expected and the changes in some config files are made by xbian and are to be expected as well, then I'm probably done with switching to stretch.

THX

Don

I can't remember which warnings were appearing while testing this (it is > 6 months ago)

But the annoying insserv warnings are ok (because XBian using upstart) the keep oldconfig warnings are normal and the rest can be ignored Smile

So everything looks ok
(4th Dec, 2017 06:40 AM)Don Pedro Wrote: [ -> ]

Hmm, seems nobody is reading news Sad
(4th Dec, 2017 08:10 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, seems nobody is reading news Sad

Sorry for not doing it! Dunno what anybody's doing, but I can tell you why I did not: Simply too many boards I'm in with too many things to read and understand. XBian & TVH for my VCR. Armbian for my Cubie-based Backup. Fhem for my home automation system. XDA-developer for my Android phones and CM. A forum for my car and my motorcycle. Github and MSDN for software. A forum for my homepage CMS. Heise newsletter and discussion board. If I dig a little deeper I might find some more... So you're trying to pull the information from it that's relevant for your own stuff and skip the rest. And occasionally you fail and miss something, that's why.

BR

Don
(13th Oct, 2018 04:27 PM)williamdosa Wrote: [ -> ]another question i want answer to Which OS for KODI? OSMC, OpenELEC, Xbian, maybe Raspbian?
Hello. I received my first arm device ever, the Raspberry Pi 2 B! I wanted to give KODI a try and was wondering which operating system to use. I understand there's primarily OpenELEC, OSMC and Xbian.

They seem fairly similar so I don't know where to start. It looks like OpenELEC is the most popular, but I understand there's no proper package manager or access to sudo, so seems boring from a technical point of view. https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=xbian%2C%20osmc%2C%20OpenELEC&date=today%2012-m&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT-1

What about Raspbian for a more general purpose OS, or is that a bad idea?

I think you are in the wrong section of the forum...

Kodi is a multi platform (OS) software... you can choose a build for any OS from Windows to vary flavours of Linux distros.

You are in a forum for a specific branch of Raspbian, (help me here devs, i speak only of my perception of what Xbian is) that is a Debian distro for the small all in one computer Raspberry Pi (1 to 3), optimized to run Kodi and to enable the use of any Pi as a HTPC.

Since you have a Pi (and you can swap OS by simply swapping SDCARDS) i suggest you install all options out there (OpenElec, Xbian, etc...) and decide for yourself what is better for your needs.

My opinion is go with Xbian, but that is based on my personal experience. Also use a branded SDcard.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's