Forum

Full Version: Two Raspberry => soft copy with Backup/home file ??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I have two rapberry 3 and i would like to copy (not with a full SD copying) one of them (the master) to the other.

I have made a "xbian_backup_home_xxx.img.gz" with the BAckup/home file menu (connecting to Putty).

I have got the image, and when i copy it (with movingg file from Window connected to \\Xbian) in "\\xbian\xbmc-backup\put_here_to_restore" folder nothing append (exept a ".working" at the end of file...). ON the target PI3, for example Kodi parameter are not change...

Any advice ?

Many thanks

Software
XBian version: Xbian 1.0 (knockout) Kernel Linux 4.9.48
XBMC/Kodi version: 17.4
Overclock settings: No overclocking (PI3:none)

Hardware
Device type and model: Raspberry Pi Model 3
Power supply rating: Aukru Power 3A
SD card size and make/type: 32Go
Network (Ethernet or wireless): Ethernet
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, ...): TV LG OLED
(19th Dec, 2017 08:17 PM)billythekid Wrote: [ -> ]I have got the image, and when i copy it (with movingg file from Window connected to \\Xbian) in "\\xbian\xbmc-backup\put_here_to_restore" folder nothing append (exept a ".working" at the end of file...). ON the target PI3, for example Kodi parameter are not change...

If the file you copied into put_here_to_restore folder gets appendix .working, then restore process has been started in the background.
And after finishing restore process, Kodi will be restarted automatically and the backup will be removed.

So, if your backup file remains on disk, there's something wrong

If you are looking into the code, there are 2 error exits between renaming the file and removing it.
  1. Your backup file is wrong (not a valid gzip format)
    Code:
    gunzip --suffix .working -t $1.working || lz4 -t $1.working || exit 500
  2. The restore process fails
    Code:
    gunzip -cd < $1.working | btrfs receive -v ${tmp_dir}/home
    [ $? -ne 0 ] && exit 1

I suppose your backup file is wrong. You should check this first, if you are able to unzip this file manually

I've just tested restore process on my Pi3 test installation, everything works as it should
Many thank for your advice but i can unzip the file i try to restore (on windows by winrar)

Kodi don't restart automatically at the end and the file is delete from "\\xbian\xbmc-backup\put_here_to_restore" ...

And after time (i wait a logn time) i restart manually the PI3 and they was no update....

I still don't understand ... Is it due to different PI3 ? others things ?
(20th Dec, 2017 01:57 AM)billythekid Wrote: [ -> ]Many thank for your advice but i can unzip the file i try to restore (on windows by winrar)

Kodi don't restart automatically at the end and the file is delete from "\\xbian\xbmc-backup\put_here_to_restore" ...

And after time (i wait a logn time) i restart manually the PI3 and they was no update....

I still don't understand ... Is it due to different PI3 ? others things ?

It is not Pi3, I'm testing on Pi3 always, so it must be something different

To clearify one point: the file has been removed before you're rebooting Pi?
I'm asking because folder ...put_here_to_restore is emptied automatically on system startup
Hi,

i try this morningg and

when the copy of image is finisch in "put here.." folder the file is renamed
by "xbian_backup_home_2017-12-14-1355.img.gz.working"

i have to wait a very long time and after :
- i lose acces (putty & from windows)
- the screen seem to freeze on my TV (iam on kodi menu)
- after a while there some inscription that i can see behing the kodi menu:
4 98 SMP: failer to stop seconda y CPUs

53606 BTRES x???? "(i can't see)" (device mcblk0p2) : csum failed in0 extent 279928832 csum 25664720

8 102646 Exception stack (0xac4........

etc ...

It could be as you said a checksum problem (i don't understand why, the image made from PI3 directly rom putty menu backup and copied trought windows to my other PI3...) ?

Any idea ?

Thanks a lot
You have a filesystem problem

So first question, tell me the occupied size of your source /home volume

Code:
sudo du -sxh /home

Second, do you have enough disk space free on target?

Code:
sudo df -h /

I suppose you have a filesystem problem on target. Either it is damaged and has to be fixed, or another simple reason is, while extracting the home image it runs out of disk space
i'll do it on friday.
Thks
Hi,

As requested :

xbian@xbian ~ $ sudo du -sxh /home
[sudo] password for xbian:
1.9G /home

xbian@xbian ~ $ sudo df -h /
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p2 30G 2.7G 27G 10% /

My SD card is a 32Go

Do i have to partition it differently ? (i made the install from the xbian image on internet site)

KR
Olivier
(22nd Dec, 2017 09:42 PM)billythekid Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

As requested :

xbian@xbian ~ $ sudo du -sxh /home
[sudo] password for xbian:
1.9G /home

Ok, quite a lot of data Dodgy ...

Quote:xbian@xbian ~ $ sudo df -h /
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p2 30G 2.7G 27G 10% /

... but enough space on target available Smile

Quote:Do i have to partition it differently ? (i made the install from the xbian image on internet site)

No, that's ok.

Unfortunately, I do not have any ideas what's wrong with restoring /home volume at the moment Sad

You posted

Quote:53606 BTRES x???? "(i can't see)" (device mcblk0p2) : csum failed in0 extent 279928832 csum 25664720

earlier, so I would suppose you have an btrfs filesystem issue on your target
Maybe a check of the fs would help

I described it here how to do that
(19th Dec, 2017 08:17 PM)billythekid Wrote: [ -> ]Hi All,

I have two rapberry 3 and i would like to copy (not with a full SD copying) one of them (the master) to the other.

I have made a "xbian_backup_home_xxx.img.gz" with the BAckup/home file menu (connecting to Putty).

I have got the image, and when i copy it (with movingg file from Window connected to \\Xbian) in "\\xbian\xbmc-backup\put_here_to_restore" folder nothing append (exept a ".working" at the end of file...). ON the target PI3, for example Kodi parameter are not change...

Any advice ?

Many thanks

Software

Hardware

Have you tried rsync instead of zipping / unzipping?

(19th Dec, 2017 08:17 PM)billythekid Wrote: [ -> ]Hi All,

Any advice ?

Many thanks

I've had some success mirroring between two Raspberries using lsync in real time rather than scheduling job in cron with rsync.

Software

Hardware
Reference URL's