Forum

Full Version: Mysql database lost again.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So yesterday I was trying to play media remotely via yarc (http frontend) and whilst I could 'see' all the media in the libraries, nothing would play - no music, no films etc. Huh

Today I VNC'd into the pi and could see the kodi screen with all the libs, but the screen was frozen, even the remote mouse cursor would not move. Confused

I rebooted the pi and now all the libraries are no longer there. No music, no movies, no music videos.
If I go via the 'files' menu in kodi settings I can play anything I like, so I am guessing the issue is with mysql, but I am no db expert Undecided

This after reinstall just a few weeks back with new usb drive, new sd card and all working for a while. Rolleyes

Where do I begin to look for the culprit please?

Looking more into it - this happened on the pi that hosts the mysql db.

But....when rebooting a remote xbian client, it sees the db and plays normally.

So something has happened where the mysql pi cannot see it's libraries yet other clients connecting to it can. Hmmmm.....

After a little reading I added the line WAITFOR="mysqld" and now the libs are showing agian in the db serving pi - still not paying though, so will have to investigate that further. I hope it's not a silly thing!
Mysteriously it is all back working agian now - phew! Smile
So all you have to do is make a long post, do a dance, wait a while and cross your fingers....bam it's working Smile
(26th May, 2018 11:35 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]So all you have to do is make a long post, do a dance, wait a while and cross your fingers....bam it's working Smile

... or - wait and drink tea Big Grin Sometimes it works
I guess 'eye of newt' and 'bats wings' are not needed for Linux then? Tongue

Really I don't understand why I get so many issues - I hope one day, maybe 100 years from now, that people will get tech that just works and does the job.

For now though, I will post what I find as it might help others with similar problems or alert the devs to possible areas of interest.
(27th May, 2018 07:00 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]I hope one day, maybe 100 years from now, that people will get tech that just works and does the job.

Where is the fun in that.
(27th May, 2018 07:00 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]I guess 'eye of newt' and 'bats wings' are not needed for Linux then? Tongue

Really I don't understand why I get so many issues - I hope one day, maybe 100 years from now, that people will get tech that just works and does the job.

The more hardware you have - the more issues you get ...
...and, please don't forget: the human factor is the least calculable Big Grin

Conclusion:
You have to eliminate human factor and you will get no issues Tongue
So today I tried the Lounge pi and got nothing. No http, no ssh... So I reflashed with a backup sd card image (auto backup to server).

This back up didn't work. So I kept going back in time a week at a time until I got a working image.

I managed to get it going again with an image from about 7 weeks ago.

What I don't understand is how the xbian/kodi keeps working normally and doing daily backups, yet the backups fail to work properly.

Any thoughts on this?
(31st May, 2018 05:26 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]So today I tried the Lounge pi and got nothing. No http, no ssh... So I reflashed with a backup sd card image (auto backup to server).

This back up didn't work. So I kept going back in time a week at a time until I got a working image.

I managed to get it going again with an image from about 7 weeks ago.

What I don't understand is how the xbian/kodi keeps working normally and doing daily backups, yet the backups fail to work properly.

Any thoughts on this?

Yes ....

1) Why crashed Pi? Maybe the issue happened some weeks ago and that's the reason for broken images
2) Investigating broken images would help to see whats going on

btw, the backup procedure was not changed for more than 5 months, so a software change can not be the culprit
(31st May, 2018 05:39 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]1) Why crashed Pi? Maybe the issue happened some weeks ago and that's the reason for broken images

I agree that the issue happened a long while back, so not easy to tell what did it as it is only noticable when you need the images for flashing. No other symptoms I saw.

(31st May, 2018 05:39 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]2) Investigating broken images would help to see whats going on

So what would be my best way to do this? I am happy to try it out and see what I can find.

(31st May, 2018 05:39 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]btw, the backup procedure was not changed for more than 5 months, so a software change can not be the culprit

I didn't know it had changed at all! Wink

Only thing I can think of might be power supply issue - I am testing on another pi a DC/DC UPS to see if it helps with crashes, but only been running a few days to too early to tell.
Reference URL's