Forum

Full Version: Raspberry pi 4 announced... Huge improvements
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Source : MagPie

Short version of the specs:
Raspberry Pi 4 specs
SoC: Broadcom BCM2711B0 quad-core A72 (ARMv8-A) 64-bit @ 1.5GHz
GPU: Broadcom VideoCore VI
Networking: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11b/g/n/ac wireless LAN
RAM: 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB LPDDR4 SDRAM
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0, Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
GPIO: 40-pin GPIO header, populated
Storage: microSD
Ports: 2 × micro-HDMI 2.0, 3.5 mm analogue audio-video jack, 2 × USB 2.0, 2 × USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, Camera Serial Interface (CSI), Display Serial Interface (DSI)
Dimensions: 88 mm × 58 mm × 19.5 mm, 46 g

Looks pretty good no?

The new VideoCore VI apparently can (hardware) decode HEVC Big Grin

Any idea if we are getting an Xbian version for the Pi 4?
*starts praying*

I'll pull the trigger REAL QUICK on a couple of these, if we're getting a stable version of Xbian for it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
It is a massive improvement, I wasn't expecting this to be released so soon.
Hmmm..... I am a little disappointed really. The extra RAM is long overdue and gigabit ethernet will be nice, but still.....

No HDD port onboard? Confused
No MCLK for pro audio? Huh
Only Quadcore when phones have had octa or deca core for long time now. Angry

Lets see what the price is....Dodgy Angel
(25th Jun, 2019 05:48 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Lets see what the price is....Dodgy Angel

Board only.

1GB = $35
2GB = $45
4GB = $55

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
(25th Jun, 2019 05:48 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm..... I am a little disappointed really. The extra RAM is long overdue and gigabit ethernet will be nice, but still.....

True but for the price i think its quite nice... Sadly i can't find a retailer that is not overpricing the units....

On the bright side the Pi3 B+ is now at 30 euros (it was near 50 last time i wanted to buy one) and i think I'm finally buying one Tongue. (Since i don't think i need the extra compute power/performance that the Pi4 offers, at least not for a couple of years... My 1B is still my room Xbian machine to this day).
I don't understand why they choose to keep the AC wireless connected over the slow SDIO interface and didn't improve the part.

They claim 4K@30fps over both HDMI interfaces but when you did deeper this turns into a maybe.

There is basically no real information on the VideoCore VI yet.

Then there's this little tidbit that is being hidden.

Quote: The MPEG-2 and VC-1 Hardware decoders have been removed (or disabled), so keys for them are not going to
be available. The respective codecs can be easily decoded on the ARM in software.

While sure they can be decoded in software this spins the CPUs up and generates unnecessary heat.

I can't understand why they did this. MPEG-2 is still an important codec and it's one I really want hardware decoding to work. I've bought the key on every Pi I have, including the 3B+ since it likes to overheat while playing DVD ISOs and stutter occasionally.

Here is a PDF with a lot of information that I've not seen elsewhere.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1GJlOSv8E6BzzT9INLeyZg4Gx_8NIpMhk&export=download
Another question is did they return to a HW based serial controller? The SW serial controller on pi3 was giving me real problems (apparently they 'borrowed' the HW serial chip for BT/WiFi).

@legendarybomba

Those prices in USD are identical to prices in GBP here in UK - I think we are getting a bad deal again. Dodgy

But as I said before lack of HDD/SATA is a real surprise.

If in the future kodi/xbian streams 4k as smooth as silk I might get one, or maybe two - but I am in no hurry for pi4 at the moment. It's not like the situation of pi1 -pi2. That was a 'must have' upgrade. This time, not so much.
(25th Jun, 2019 04:56 PM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Another question is did they return to a HW based serial controller? The SW serial controller on pi3 was giving me real problems (apparently they 'borrowed' the HW serial chip for BT/WiFi).

@legendarybomba

Those prices in USD are identical to prices in GBP here in UK - I think we are getting a bad deal again. Dodgy

But as I said before lack of HDD/SATA is a real surprise.

If in the future kodi/xbian streams 4k as smooth as silk I might get one, or maybe two - but I am in no hurry for pi4 at the moment. It's not like the situation of pi1 -pi2. That was a 'must have' upgrade. This time, not so much.

Same here... i don't intend to "update" my (legal and not so legal) video library to 4K at least not in the next couple of years. FHD stills satisfies my needs (sure UHD makes me drools just to look at but money does not grow on trees for me to upgrade Storage units, media players, etc etc...).

The price you pay in the UK is the same i will have to pay if i wanted a Pi 4 today sadly... The official retailer here has the 1GiB version at 38€ (at today rate that is 43.18 US dollars)(plus 8 euros of shipping costs). To be fair the price dropped since i saw it yesterday (don't know why).
If and when i decide to buy a Pi4 i will want the 2GiB version currently going for 49€ (55.6 Us Dollars)(plus shipping costs).

The Pi3 B+ on the other hand is now at 30€ on Amazon and that is less than 35 Dollars Big Grin (today rates) (oh and includes free delivery without Prime so it's just 30€).
(25th Jun, 2019 01:07 AM)Exnor Wrote: [ -> ]Any idea if we are getting an Xbian version for the Pi 4?

Will take some time. LE has built a quickanddirty (?) version for Kodi Leia version with some limitations, but we will wait until it has been integrated into Kodi Matrix (v19)
(25th Jun, 2019 01:30 AM)legendarybomba Wrote: [ -> ]*starts praying*

I'll pull the trigger REAL QUICK on a couple of these, if we're getting a stable version of Xbian for it.

See above
(25th Jun, 2019 03:42 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]It is a massive improvement, I wasn't expecting this to be released so soon.

Fully agree. And new Raspbian was built with hot needle Big Grin Same with Kodi

Still some basic things are not working, for example: No boot from USB, no boot from network, just sd-card is currently supported
(25th Jun, 2019 12:22 PM)Exnor Wrote: [ -> ]
(25th Jun, 2019 05:48 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm..... I am a little disappointed really. The extra RAM is long overdue and gigabit ethernet will be nice, but still.....

True but for the price i think its quite nice... Sadly i can't find a retailer that is not overpricing the units....

On the bright side the Pi3 B+ is now at 30 euros (it was near 50 last time i wanted to buy one) and i think I'm finally buying one Tongue. (Since i don't think i need the extra compute power/performance that the Pi4 offers, at least not for a couple of years... My 1B is still my room Xbian machine to this day).

Next version of Kodi has dropped OMX player support, that means that you can forget playing videos smoothly on Pi's < 2 Sad
(26th Jun, 2019 04:19 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]
(25th Jun, 2019 03:42 AM)f1vefour Wrote: [ -> ]It is a massive improvement, I wasn't expecting this to be released so soon.

Still some basic things are not working, for example: No boot from USB, no boot from network, just sd-card is currently supported

But no raspbian 64bit in the near future though.....

(26th Jun, 2019 04:22 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Next version of Kodi has dropped OMX player support, that means that you can forget playing videos smoothly on Pi's < 2 Sad
Sounds more like a reason *not* to 'upgrade' then. Tongue
(26th Jun, 2019 04:24 AM)Skywatch Wrote: [ -> ]
(26th Jun, 2019 04:19 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]

But no raspbian 64bit in the near future though.....

(26th Jun, 2019 04:22 AM)Nachteule Wrote: [ -> ]Next version of Kodi has dropped OMX player support, that means that you can forget playing videos smoothly on Pi's < 2 Sad
Sounds more like a reason *not* to 'upgrade' then. Tongue

Nooooo, you have to buy new Pi's Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's