Forum

Full Version: Bluetooth Headphones
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,
I have been trying to setup xbian to send audio to bluetooth headphones. I have followed the instructions from this thread. I managed to successfully connect to my headphones. However I don't get any audio coming out of them, just via the HDMI. I haven't got any other audio output available in the settings of kodi. And I can't find any setting to send the audio to that output. Has this changed since 2016 when this tutorial was made? I have tried poking around a bit with PulseAudio, but from what I can see I don't get Kodi to start with PulseAudio, but with ALSA. And from what I can understand bluez-alsa is no longer supported.

Any help would be welcome, thank you all!.

Software
XBian version: Xbian 20191008-0
XBMC/Kodi version: 18.5
Overclock settings: default

Hardware
Device type and model Raspberry Pi Model B 512 MB first gen.
Power supply rating: 2A
SD card size and make/type: 8gb
Network (Ethernet or wireless): Ethernet
Connected devices (TV, USB, network storage, ...): TV via HDMI and USB Bluetooth dongle Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
Yes, seems that its not longer working

Try to start PA manually before starting Kodi by

Terminal

sudo /usr/bin/pulseaudio --system --log-target=syslog &

Then you can use PA inside of Kodi.

Just tested and its working
Only need to run PA with xbian user privies:

Terminal
xbian@avr ~ $ ps -o user,cmd -C kodi.bin
USER CMD
xbian /usr/local/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd

I believe in the past, I added something like below to /etc/rc.local to have PA started before the xbian user logs in:

Code:
sudo -u xbian '/usr/bin/pulseaudio --start'

Could change it into more specific one from @Nachteule:

Code:
sudo -u xbian '/usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --system --log-target=syslog'

And add the /usr/bin/pulseaudio command to the sudoers list of commands in below file:

Terminal
xbian@avr ~ $ sudo cat /etc/sudoers.d/xbian
xbian ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /sbin/initctl, /usr/local/sbin/xbian-config, /sbin/halt, /sbin/reboot, /usr/bin/splash, \
/usr/bin/renice, /sbin/start, /sbin/stop, /sbin/status, /bin/fuser, /sbin/restart, /usr/bin/pkill, /usr/sbin/btrfs-auto-snapshot, \
/bin/mount, /bin/umount, /bin/kill, /usr/local/sbin/splash-daemon, /bin/rm -fr /run/splash/splash.pid, /bin/mkdir -p -m 777 /run/splash, \
/usr/bin/setterm, /usr/bin/pulseaudio

Defaults env_keep+=http_proxy
Defaults env_keep+=LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Defaults env_keep+=LD_PRELOAD

What I miss in the instructions thread is selecting BT profile.
It could be that your headset defaults to low quality output profile with a mic input when connected at first.
You want to have the a2dp profile/sink (if headset supports) to get best quality.
Below ones might be useful once headset connected:

Code:
pacmd list-cards

pactl list cards

pactl list cards short

pactl list sinks

pactl list sinks short

For my Bose BT speaker, I had to do below to get the a2dp profile/sink activated:

Code:
pacmd set-card-profile bluez_card.00_0C_8A_XX_XX_XX a2dp_sink

pacmd set-default-sink bluez_sink.00_0C_8A_XX_XX_XX.a2dp_sink

Test with below:

Code:
pacat --list-file-formats

pacat < /dev/urandom

pacat --file-format=wav <A_RANDOM_WAV_FILE>

EDIT: added sudoers.
If you forward/reverse your video at kodi many times, the sound might stop even if the app is in call with kodi. If it happens, try play/pause video a couple of times and you should have the sound back.
If this occurs, try playing/pauseing the video a few times to restore the sound. happy wheels
I have the bluetooth headphones too, but these are so much easier to pair & connect. Well, the reason for me to come here is something else, I need the accounting assignment help UK from a reliable academic firm & for that I need your help to find one if you know any.
Reference URL's