Forum

Full Version: New install, no Kodi. Just getting a login prompt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got an old Cubox-i2w and I'm trying to make it work with a fresh install. Writing to the micro SD card was super easy with the installer (thanks for that), but when I start up my Cubox it spends a long time trying to start Kodi and then kicks me to a login prompt. (4 GB micro SD, wireless network, connected to TV via HDMI)

There are several posts in the forum already with similar problems, so I have tried: checking /var/log/upstart/xbmc-preload.log - I can't read the file. "sudo nano xbmc-preload.log" gives me an input/output error, I don't know what's going on with this.

I tried deleting the /home/xbian/.kodi directory but this doesn't exist for me, I assume because I haven't been able to get Kodi to run yet. I do not have another similar device that I can import this directory from.

I tried checking for bad blocks on the micro SD card, but haven't found a good way to do that in btrfs. I can't rule out this possibility, it's an old card. So I got another newer card (32 GB) and tried it on that, same result. I have greater confidence in this second card, but it's technically possible that they could both have bad blocks.

I don't have any more things to try, but I'll do whatever. If anyone has any ideas about the log file, I don't know why I can't read it.
Sorry, but cubox is no longer actively supported, only images with old versions are still built.

It's just not worth putting more time and effort into this old hardwae.

By the way, it sounds to me more like your cubox has a damage
Well all right, what's the last version which did support cubox? Maybe I can try that.
There are no old images in this sense.
The current images are just built with the old binaries (Kodi)

You can have a look here https://sourceforge.net/projects/xbian/files/release/, maybe you have more luck with XBian_Stretch_latest_imx6.img.gz

But as long as you get an input/output error when viewing a log file, i think it's pointless to deal with it any further
I get the input/output error on my PC when attempting to read the SD card. It's not something I get on the Cubox, I couldn't do anything on the Cubox. Except now I can, because that other image you mentioned seems to be working. Thanks for that.

At least mostly. Kodi loads now, and while I had an issue with the display during setup, once I got into settings and changed the resolution that was mostly resolved. Except not entirely: the TV that I'm using is 1080p, but when I set that resolution the edges of the screen are cut off on all sides. When I set it to 1680 x 1048 it fits, but the screen is darker.

Also there's no audio when I play videos... But it's progress anyway.

Edit: Okay the audio was just a system setting, it doesn't output HDMI audio by default, and I can deal with the dark interface, though I am curious why it's like that, but I'm going to call this good. Thanks a lot.
Reference URL's