Forum

Full Version: Xbian stopped fully loading, supports telnet - how do I default it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please move this to a different forum if I've posted in the wrong area.
I've tried searching the forums - but if ive missed a solution please direct me to the link

Ive been running Xbian on a raspberry pi for a couple of months.
I did a number of addon upgrades last night.
Following reboot xbian loads the splash screen, but then leaves the blue screen without the full desktop.

It appears that Xbian is not fully loaded.
I don't see anything obvious in the boot up.

I can telnet into the unit.
Ive tried
apt-get install xbian-update followed by install.
All appeared to work.
I've also done an app update.
I assume something in my user config must be conflicting.
I can not see where my user unique settings are stored - so how i could default the install.

Ideally I'd prefer to do things from my telnet /ssh

So my question is how do I remove my user unique settings - specifically which file full path please do I remove.
Or can anyone suggest anything else to do a default - or cure my problem.

Regards Andy
What is the "the blue screen without the full desktop."

Do you mean SSH instead of telnet?

Regarding your last questions:
Code:
mv /home/xbian/.xbmc /home/xbian/.xbmc-bak
sorry yes I mean ssh
My home directory is empty no files nothing .
ls -l returns 0
any idea how that could have happened?

I assume that somehow i've lost the xbian directory i've done a mkir xbian and rebooted - hoped it would just create a .xbian

I assume .xbian is my .profile ? what should be in it?
I'm not use o vi or ed - please define everything I should type to create a .xbian

By the blue screen - what i mean is I get a splash screen which shows xbian -with the raspberrypi logo - then i have a standard default blue wall paper background - looks like outof focus rings.
This is the normal background wall paper.

Thanks Andy

Sorry I did not fully answer.
After the blue wall paper loads - i then normally see the desktop with the weather - video - pictures etc.
Please be precise. There is no .xbian folder but xbian, and but there is a .xbmc folder. The /home/xbian folder is the home folder of user xbian, the /home/xbian/.xbmc folder is the profile folder for xbmc.
On my system - cd to home then doing ls -l returned zero.
So my system had no xbian folder in it!
I've just done a mkdir xbian to correct this.

I did not realise that .xbian was also a folder.

I had been hoping that I had a conflict with some settings - i'd since I seem to nearly load , and ssh works that most things would be in place.
I am suprised at missing files.

But how many files should be in that directory.
Is it worth trying to correct this is is it possible to restore the structure / files by trying to update via ssh?

Regards Andy
Quote:I did not realise that .xbian was also a folder.
There is no .xbian folder

Also the correct command to see all files is:
Code:
ls -Al
Re Reading my post I see that my English is not great to say the least.

It appears that my filing system has some errors - Ive also noticed 10 files in lost+found.

I had no home/xbian direcory.

My system seems to be almost working - I dont notice lots of errors durring the start up.
After the startup - Xbian splash loads, the blue wall paper loads - but then nothing else.
I can ssh into the raspberrypi as username xbian.

Is it possible to do a restore / complete reinsall from SSH?

Regards Andy
Reinstall is the safest bet, then see if maybe you're SD card is faulty.
Thanks - I've nothing I can mount the sd card on other than the pi at the moment.
what is the correct command to do an install from SSH - seems what i've tried in the past has been insufficient.

Regards Andy
Thanks

Hi - since I could not easlily put the SD card onto anyting else or download the img - I installed frodo following your instructions http://forum.xbian.org/thread-211.html?highlight=upgrade

Version now shows 362704

However following a reboot I'm in exactly the same position.
I see the Xbian raspberry logo - then it stops with the blue wall paper - no desktop,

Any ideas?

regards Andy
Still a little baffled as to why it corrupted and why I could not recover.
I've done a clean install on a new card - this works.

I assume that the FS on the SD card has got corrupt.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know the method of closing the post - I'm going to unsubscribe.

Regards Andy
Reference URL's