Forum

Full Version: VDR function for rpi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

Temporary I read and learn more about rpi and media distribution. I want to build a xbian pi with support watching and recording tv with a `lowcoast` and simple dvb-s2 USB Adapter. I dont need sharing TV streams to Clients or other simular functions, I only want to watch TV like with my dreambox. But I dont find anything detailed about it.

Will this feature work out of the box after starting the DVB service, or how can I understand this? In all informations I read before, I read about pvr, for pvr I think a source is requiered?

After I`ve bring all to work, how does the remote control switch the channels, I want to switch it via cec/anyshare+?

What is the best practise USB dvb-s2 Adapter?

Thanks a lot! Sorry for my bad english
I don't have a lot of PVR knowledge, but you should be able to use the PVR addons of XBMC.
Thanks for reply.

However my question was if xbian with addons support this feature out of the box. That there are addons I already knew.

I allready read things about this topic, but I dont understand the detailed function of this feature.

I'm right in assuming that I need XBMC with a local backend "TVheadEnd" and local viewer client that connected with the backend so that I can watch TV on the Box?

Is there not a easyier way a backand which include a client to present the TV Channels in XBMC?

And how can I switch the channels over CEC btw. is there a entry for TV in XBMC? Or should I add this manually in the GUI of XBMC

Thanks
please read http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Watch_TV_in_XBMC
than is just a matter of pick the tuner what is supported by RPi and install the right PVR addon
Pretty sure that tvheadend is not included in alpha 4 and will only be included by default in alpha 5 right?

After configuring tvheadend properly you can select a pvr addon in xbmc (like rikardo stated) and switch channels. When everything is properly configured you will have an "Live TV" option in xbmc an will be able to use any xbmc compatible remote (CEC included) to switch channels.
TVHeadend will be available soon through our apt repository. It will not be included by default.
OK, that the answer I want!!!! Thanks rikardo1979 and bacobart.

Have anybody experiences with watching tv on pi? How are the switch times is it smooth and does it create artifacts?
I've manually compiled tvheadend on alpha 4 and it works, but unfortunately for me DVB-T (terrestrial) reception sucks here, and the antenna on my DVB-T dongle is not really good, so I had a lot of decoding errors and freezes. I guess it really depends on how good the reception on your DVB-card is. But you stated you'll be using DVB-S (sattelite) so your reception probably will be much better.
Reference URL's