Forum

Full Version: Setting Up WIFI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am new to Linux so continually working in a bit of a fog.
Have written Xbian image to SD card and successfully started up PI and XBMC started automatically. Worked ok with internet cable but want wifi so have bought a small USB wifi thingy.
To try and connect to wifi I started up then exited XBMC and arrived at a dialogue box which allowed me to set up wifi info. After exiting the dialogue box there was something going on but got the impression all was well.
I was then left with the Xbian command line and at this point I have no idea how to restart XBMC.
Tried powering off and then restarting straight to XBMC but found no wifi connection. Not sure if it was connected first time or it does not store connection data when power lost.
I think this is a very simple problem but my lack of knowledge makes it impossible.
Any help would be welcome.
Instead of closing XBMC, go inside XBMC to System --> Settings --> XBian
Using alpha5 that is
Thanks, looked at settings in XBMC but only had Internet connection stuff eg ports, usernames etc and did not seem to correspond to WiFI stuff eg network name, security type.
For info versions
XBian 1.0a4
XBMX 12.0-RC1 GIT:20121212-afbae11 (compiled Dec 13 2012)

Alpha5 is that another version?
Yes, our latest.
Have loaded Aplpha 5 successfully but I cannot see any stuff in system settings which relate to WIFI. The internet settings is asking for Server, Username and Password whereas WIFI will usually ask for network name, security type and password.
Note I see my nana usb doggle is flashing so that is positive.
(21st Feb, 2013 07:28 AM)CurlyMo Wrote: [ -> ]Instead of closing XBMC, go inside XBMC to System --> Settings --> XBian

from XBMC GUI menu go to System>Settings>XBian at the bottom of the list on left
Thanks I think I have got there. Have tried addons and only got 0% loading, but signal is low in current location, previously would not have seen any attempt at downloading.
Is there any way to see if wifi is connected. In the system page it says internet not connected.

OK, definitely up and running, thanks for your help.
I too am having a problem with wifi

I go to system --> settings --> xbian and then under system I changed the interface to wlan0. So far so good, much better than Alpha 4 that wouldnt even recognize the wlan. But now it scans for signals and it finds them all, then I click on my ssid, I type in my key and it says "connecting wlan0 to [my ssid]" stays there for a few seconds and then sends me back to the part where i select which network i want to connect to. It never actually connects. Any possible solutions would be helpful. Thanks
Are you using special characters? I could only connect to my wifi with special characters if i configured it via ssh plugged into a lan.
forgot to mention that, no special characters. I have a simple wifi password because i like living on the edge

haven't tried ssh yet, i'll give that a go in a minute

Edit: SSH worked, but interestingly, whenever i scanned for wlan through the ssh menu it would find my ssid, but when i would choose it then it would still kick me back out to having to scan again. Had to do it as a custom connection
@chucklemonkey

Can you activate debug in xbmc and post the log.
And can you also, before connecting to a network, set mode in dhcp if no value are set for fixed adress.
Hi guys,

I'm also having issues settings up my WiFi on my RPi.
Using Alpha 5.
Using USB-N10 WiFi Adapter, thru a powered USB hub.
No special characters in the password.
SSID is not broadcasted by my router.
/etc/network/interfaces seems okay (see below).

Ethernet over eth0 is working A1, however the ultimate goal is to have this RPi working wireless.
Trying to set it up thru SSH with xbian-config but I get the message "failed to connect to..." after entering SSID / password info.

I also tried disconnecting the eth0 (thinking maybe the wlan0 cannot be mounted while the eth0 is connected) but not working either (I see that by going in the xbmc system info and no ip address).
Also thru the xbmc settings -> xbian, I see the wlan0 interface status as DORMANT.

**** Update ****
Here's the content of my /etc/network/interfaces
--
auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

wpa-ssid "MyNetwork"
wpa-psk "MyPassword"
wireless-power on
--

Any idea where I should start my debugging?

Thanks in advance
Any hint guys?

(24th Feb, 2013 12:47 AM)descha00 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,

I'm also having issues settings up my WiFi on my RPi.
Using Alpha 5.
Using USB-N10 WiFi Adapter, thru a powered USB hub.
No special characters in the password.
SSID is not broadcasted by my router.
/etc/network/interfaces seems okay (see below).

Ethernet over eth0 is working A1, however the ultimate goal is to have this RPi working wireless.
Trying to set it up thru SSH with xbian-config but I get the message "failed to connect to..." after entering SSID / password info.

I also tried disconnecting the eth0 (thinking maybe the wlan0 cannot be mounted while the eth0 is connected) but not working either (I see that by going in the xbmc system info and no ip address).
Also thru the xbmc settings -> xbian, I see the wlan0 interface status as DORMANT.

**** Update ****
Here's the content of my /etc/network/interfaces
--
auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

wpa-ssid "MyNetwork"
wpa-psk "MyPassword"
wireless-power on
--

Any idea where I should start my debugging?

Thanks in advance
Yes!

To my experience, the wlan setup in XBian is at a very early implementation stage. It simply does not work yet.

The XBian image comes with a perfect setup for WLAN roaming. Read here for more information:

http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/WLAN/wpa_supplicant (LOL, ubuntu, sorry, in german)

The original content of /etc/network/interfaces looks like this:

---------------
auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp
---------------

Bring it back to this with

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

Then do a

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

and enter Your wireless lan and the credentitials and remove anything else. Make abackup before this if you like.

-------------------
network={
ssid="Your WLAN SSID"
proto=RSN
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP TKIP
group=CCMP TKIP
psk="YOUR WLAN PASSWORD IN CLEAR TEXT OR ENCRYPTED"
}
-------------------

Best thing is: You can have more than one WLAN roamed. Simple add more network sections to it. It will automatically connect to the local WLAN found.

If it does not work right away, You have to possibly modify proto, key_mgmt, group and pairwise to the correct TAGS Your WLAN understands.

get a list of available wlans on console with

iwlist wlan0 scan

You can read the required TAGS from this output.

If it works, do not enter the XBIAN WLAN config anymore, as it will replace the roaming.

Cheers
dezi
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's