Forum

Full Version: VNC *server* for xbian?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yeah, before you kill me with the "it requires x11" stuff...

I found this:

https://bitbucket.org/billcroberts/android-vnc-server/overview

This was ported to allow Androids to export their displays via VNC.

It's not been updated since last July, and I have no idea if it will even compile. However, since Andrioid and the Pi are both ARM-Based, it stands to reason that this could be used as a starting point to give xbian the ability to export its own display via VNC.

Modding this for xbian is way beyond my niche, so I am throwing this out just in case someone with better understanding of the hardware might pick it up and run with it.
I've compiled one of the vnc servers for android. I had to start it like this:
Code:
./fastdroid-vnc -k /dev/input/event0
The only problem is that XMBC doesn't write to the Framebuffer in a common way. This means i do receive the splash through vnc (which writes to the Framebuffer directly) and the shell but not XBMC.

At least you guys got what you asked for Smile Let me know what implementation you all found...
I'm curious, could you entertain me and explain why you would want to do this?
Sometimes, I have the need to remotely control a device. If there is a problem with XBMC while I'm at work, for example.

Since there are quite a large number of things that can ONLY be done from the GUI, having the ability to remotely fix things is a real plus.

This is only an issue for those of us using Android or RPi.. Since all the other OSes rely on X11, it's easy to add VNC or some other remote control solution.
In my case, I find it faster to use my laptop's keyboard to navigate through the xbmc menus. I really don't mind if I don't see the remote screen on my computer.
@CurlyMo, I tried your implementation of the VNC server and I was able to connet, but XBMC is not receiving my keystrokes.

I'd also like to see what implementation you all find...

Cheers
i would LOVE to have vnc control of my xbian pi.
Reference URL's